X3: how to ditch the police

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Heemskerk

X3: how to ditch the police

Post by Heemskerk » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 14:48

Hi,

Very noob question:

I was trying to do a ship retrieving mission, but failed to return in time. Now the police is on my back, attacking me and everything turns red.

How can I ditch them? I am innocent, just a humble merchant

ajime
x4

Re: X3: how to ditch the police

Post by ajime » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 15:01

Heemskerk wrote:Hi,

Very noob question:

I was trying to do a ship retrieving mission, but failed to return in time. Now the police is on my back, attacking me and everything turns red.

did you sell off the ship retrieved?

Heemskerk

Post by Heemskerk » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 15:08

Nop, I dumped it

AleksMain
x3tc

Re: X3: how to ditch the police

Post by AleksMain » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 15:47

Heemskerk wrote:Hi,

Very noob question:

Simple answer:
Reload game.

Don't do mission, if it is too difficult to you.

Buy some equipment (like jump drive, for example) to do same mission faster.

Advises:
Don't do such missions to retrieve trade ships, since these are very slow.
Small ships can be repaired before return (to fly faster).
You can use some Carrier (like TM, for example) to transport retrieving ship.

Heemskerk

Post by Heemskerk » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 15:55

Ouch! Hard lesson since I did not save it before the mission

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 16:48

Unfortunately, the easiest way to get them off your back is no longer possible because you've gone past the mission time expired. Basically, what you do is arrange to be in a sector adjacent to a Xenon sector (one that has more than one exit) when the police spawn, then use your jumpdrive to go to the opposite side of the Xenon sector. The police will get trashed by the Xenon while they're following you through that sector. You can potentially still do this, but you'll have to lead the police to the Xenon sector first, which will potentially take a while depending where you are in the universe.

Heemskerk

Post by Heemskerk » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 17:00

Thanks, it was indeed easier to reload. Only missed 400.000 credits from trading

Bill Huntington
x3tc

the Yaki option

Post by Bill Huntington » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 18:31

Heemskerk, we live for those opportunities! First, you can sell it and make money, even after the police show up. Or like PJ says. Or you can prepare for it. Set up access to the Yaki and Senator's Badlands. Jump your prize there and get to the SY before the police show up. The Yaki destroy the police like anyone else and you have the ship for yourself.

I usually get my first M7M that way, even a Cobra. If it's not a Cobra, I use it to get one. It's big step up, made possible by the Retrieve or Return Ship mission. You need high trade rank before you get the best ships, up to M7 level.

I know I can get away with it so I stop at a Eq Dock and get full speed and all the software. Sometimes I'll stop at a SY and repair it to 100%, for the big ships I'll keep. Then it's faster in the Badlands. A Turbo Drive helps if you already have $.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

Heemskerk

Post by Heemskerk » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 18:35

Sounds like I have to learn a lot!

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 19:48

Numerous ways to deal with the police.

1) Kill them. They are totally on the lookout for the stolen ship. If you are in a different ship you can fight them one at a time.

2) Let them win. If they destroy the stolen ship they will all just go home. You said that you "dumped it"? If you mean you left it sitting at some station just give it an order so it tries to go somewhere and the cops will take care of it when it undocks.

3) Lead them to destruction. Put a jump drive on the stolen ship and jump to the next sector and dock until the cops arrive. Move sector by sector until it and the cops are adjacent to a Xenon sector. Jump the stolen ship across. The cops will try to fly across. If any of them make it, jump it back and forth until they don't. NOTE: for this one the stolen ship needs to be able to survive the interval between undocking and the jump.

4) Evade them and fence the goods. Similar to number three, but instead of jumping to the next sector jump to a sector with a shipyard. Dock there and sell the object of their affections and the cops will give up.

5) Ignore them. They really are interested in only the stolen ship. As long as they are in an out of the way sector they can fly around forever and not have any significant affect. I don't use this one because a CLS pilot routed to or through that sector will go idle due to "hostiles en route," but other than that they don't really do anything.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 20:29

Heemskerk wrote:Sounds like I have to learn a lot!
One of the best things about this game, in my opinion :) You won't run out of stuff to discover for a long time, rest assured.
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Heemskerk

Post by Heemskerk » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 21:00

Thanks for being so nice and helpfull here

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 19. Sep 17, 01:24

If you're friends with the Yaki, you can also park ships at their shipyard. The cops will turn up and the Yaki will wipe them out. They've got a destroyer on patrol so no matter what turns up, eventually they'll take it out.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Rep loss

Post by Bill Huntington » Tue, 19. Sep 17, 01:58

I didn't say it in my first post. An important consideration about the police is rep loss. If you kill them yourself you lose a lot of rep. If the Yaki, Xenon, or someone else kills them, you don't lose any rep. It can take a lot of missions to rebuild the rep. Sometimes a certain ship can be worth it. But why not plan ahead and avoid it altogether.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

Timsup2nothin

Re: Rep loss

Post by Timsup2nothin » Tue, 19. Sep 17, 04:49

Bill Huntington wrote:I didn't say it in my first post. An important consideration about the police is rep loss. If you kill them yourself you lose a lot of rep. If the Yaki, Xenon, or someone else kills them, you don't lose any rep. It can take a lot of missions to rebuild the rep. Sometimes a certain ship can be worth it. But why not plan ahead and avoid it altogether.
Also noteworthy: the cops will be of the race of whoever gave you the mission. Putting the stolen ship out of their territory will substantially reduce rep loss. You can even get some compensation on rep by going to the right place, since (for example) the Boron will give you rep boost for blasting Split police in their sectors.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Wed, 20. Sep 17, 02:36

If the have the requisite item, the most effective method is the Unfocused Jump Drive. If the police are already hounding you, board that ship and engage the UFJD. Once in the UFJD sector, move and wait for them to show up. When they appear, jump back to known space. And the police will never bother you again over that ship.

Personally, I recommend not bothering with retrieve ship missions unless they're M6 or M7. Those give you a chance to level up your marines on boarding actions.

Solomon Short
x4

Post by Solomon Short » Wed, 20. Sep 17, 03:20

If you have a TM with Jumpdrive & Jump-capable fighter(s) loaded, Retrieve Abandoned Ship missions are some of the easiest rep grind in the game...

And you need to grind your rep to get to the point where M6-M7M appear on the retrieval lists.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 20. Sep 17, 21:26

Jimmy C wrote:If the have the requisite item, the most effective method is the Unfocused Jump Drive. If the police are already hounding you, board that ship and engage the UFJD. Once in the UFJD sector, move and wait for them to show up. When they appear, jump back to known space. And the police will never bother you again over that ship.....
That won't work. The police can't jump into UFJD space. What does work is jumping into UFJD space before they spawn and then wait for them to spawn there. Then jump out. Since the police can't jump into or out of UFJD space normally (they don't actually have a UFJD), they're now stuck.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Fri, 22. Sep 17, 05:52

Right, why did I write "if the police are already hounding you"?

cheetahhawk
xrvr

Post by cheetahhawk » Fri, 22. Sep 17, 13:18

ive goten away before in that situation as well, i just sent the retrieved ship to dock at a station in sector in that situation while they where chasing me.
then i jumped out and do stuff elsewhere, eventualy they gave up on me after some time out of sight.
i dont intentionaly steal the ship but, just failed the mission, it will lose its stolen tag after some time as well.
thus free ship at least that is the way it worked for me in the past

if i saw i wasnt going to make it back in time i ditched it at a station to keep it from being blown up.

another thing i found in getting them back to their owner on time, is having them dock at an m6 or ST station builder ship depending on its size, then jumping to the station to turn it in.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”