How to navigate in menues or sector map with HMD cursor?

Feedback and information for X Rebirth VR Edition

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

KMD
x3

How to navigate in menues or sector map with HMD cursor?

Post by KMD » Thu, 14. Sep 17, 16:35

I gave XRVR a second chance and tried it with my HOTAS this time. Selecting targets in space works fine using the HMD cursor, but how can I select a menu item like [Attack], [Dock], [Info] or [Autopilot] after I opened a target menu or the quick menu? The HMD cursor only selects objects far away but no menu objects and the coolie hat also has no effect.

Same problem with the sector map. The tutorial says, that one can scroll it with the mouse, but there is no mouse cursor in VR. How can I make the HMD cursor work on the sector map?
Let's rock the Universe!

Franc Kaos

Post by Franc Kaos » Thu, 14. Sep 17, 16:48

Whatever buttons you bind in menu setup, so scroll up / down, left / right is (I think) defaulted to hat. PG UP / DN will move from the left list down to the bottom row of buttons where you can then move left / right (except in certain maps for some unexplained reason), then ENTER (I bound that to the fire button), BACK I bound to button2 (and moved missiles to Button3) out of the way. They also utilise the Xbox shortcuts but on the HOTAS they seem a bit hit and miss as to which button is which.

Never did find a way to bind workable buttons to [Attack], [Dock], [Info] or [Autopilot]. I have to grab the Touch Controller, point and click (Wand if on the Vive I guess), and nothing (for me) scrolls the map - I seem to remember it working once but that may have been a dream.

Also, the Touch works better in menus all round really

KMD
x3

Post by KMD » Thu, 14. Sep 17, 17:22

Really? No way to use the HMD cursor to select menu items or buttons?

I am sitting there and could easily touch these things with my nose, but I still have to navigate with cursor keys?
We already have touch screens in the 21st century. It cannot be that in the far future we're back in MS-DOS navigation.... :rofl:

Please, dear devs. Let us use the HMD cursor to highlight, select and click virtual menu items and objects/buttons on the sector map. That's the most intuitive way and just requires one button to click on the stick.

The concept is simple: While flying, the HMD cursor points to objects in the sky, but while a menu is active, the HMD cursor works like a mouse to select menu items much easier than cursor keys.
Let's rock the Universe!

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Thu, 14. Sep 17, 17:28

This how I did it ..
interaction menu (in my case button 3) x52 pro
Scroll menu ... using the left/right/up/down on the joystick
Keeping the interaction key pressed I can rotate for selected instruction, each is highlighted...release interaction button

Have full control over docking, scan etc etc,,, to deselect target I have to launch drone and quickly press esc.... not great in battle... there never was a deselect button with hotas unless it was kept secret.... Woo Err Found it..
I hide rift controls away and never touch them... always screws with my game....
My game is modded so just asking can you hack with Trojan because all station icons vanish when in drone but are visible in 2D version.
I still cannot find a key to access main screen when messages etc come in and if you are using x 52 pro can you use button 31 in game.. Cheers
Last edited by birdtable on Sun, 17. Sep 17, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

KMD
x3

Post by KMD » Thu, 14. Sep 17, 17:56

Looking at the list of functions I could use a hundred HOTAS buttons.
But why, when one could just use the HMD cursor like a mouse?

Please make that HMD cursor work for close objects and everything is fine!
Let's rock the Universe!

Franc Kaos

Post by Franc Kaos » Thu, 14. Sep 17, 20:17

Please make that HMD cursor work for close objects and everything is fine!
+ Virtual Rep for a brilliant suggestion.

oho

Can't select a menu item

Post by oho » Sun, 19. Nov 17, 15:37

In the quick menu I select "docking" (with different means like pointing with the left finger or be selecting it with a button) then I press A (oculus controler) but the point is not selected. What do I do wrong?
Same with point on a menu item on the right side window.
Otherwise the A works, only not in the menus.

I use HOTAS G940 Throttle for the left Hand and Oculus controler in the right hand. What option do I have to map on a HOTAS button if I want to select a point in the quick or communications menu?
Right now one can highlight the different Points but pushing A on the controler and also the numbers on the Keyboards don't work.
Is this a known bug - or?

Return to “X Rebirth VR Edition”