GOG release?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

adeine
x4

GOG release?

Post by adeine » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 17:47

Haven't seen this mentioned/answered anywhere and it's quite possibly too early to ask, but given that the entire series has been released on GOG at this point, will you be publishing X4 on the site at release?

Asking for those of us who do not use Steam and would very much like to invest in a true successor to X3 if and when given the chance. :wink:

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: GOG release?

Post by CBJ » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 17:49

adeine wrote:...it's quite possibly too early to ask...
Much too early.

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 17:55

Understood. In which case, take it as a humble request to try and make it happen when the time comes.

lionroot
x4

Post by lionroot » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 18:32

Same here, it would be great to have the chance to buy it on gog!

EukaDealer
x4

Post by EukaDealer » Wed, 6. Sep 17, 06:46

would also support onh gog. They even got a early access program running. So this would also be possible.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 6. Sep 17, 15:38

Would they have to consider changing their name to HGNG (Hopefully Good New Games)?

Seriously, brand new (and hence unknown) non-Early Access releases would logically seem to be falling out of GOG's intended portfolio and comfort zone. Early Access titles would at least be already known (and will possibly have been reviewed) and so perhaps pose less of a gamble for GOG.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 6. Sep 17, 16:43

Alan Phipps wrote: Seriously, brand new (and hence unknown) non-Early Access releases would logically seem to be falling out of GOG's intended portfolio and comfort zone.
The Witcher 3 was available on GoG the same day it was available on Steam. OK, that's obviously a CD Projekt game so you'd expect them to sell it on their own platform, but it nonetheless shows they can handle big AAA releases no problem.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 6. Sep 17, 17:19

GoG is much more "mainstream" as a content seller than it used to be. However, it still retains its reputation regarding "good old games", too. They've done a remarkable job over there.

They've had several "Day 1" or "Week 1" releases for top titles and support/publicize new gaming development/etc fairly well, from what I remember last time I looked.

On a side-note - I don't see anything other than a massive publisher boycott doing anything to reduce GoG's continued growth as an e-distributor. But, I think it's too early for them to be seen as a serious market competitor and I don't think they want to view themselves that way, either. (ie: Very few exclusive launches, no proprietary formats/protection, etc.)

StormMagi
x4

Post by StormMagi » Wed, 6. Sep 17, 22:25

I would appreciate a GoG option if possible as well. As much as I use Steam, I would prefer to give my money to a platform that also supports a game developer I really like.
MOD XR Show Skills

Flying spaceships since 1993.

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Thu, 7. Sep 17, 11:19

Alan Phipps wrote:Would they have to consider changing their name to HGNG (Hopefully Good New Games)?

Seriously, brand new (and hence unknown) non-Early Access releases would logically seem to be falling out of GOG's intended portfolio and comfort zone. Early Access titles would at least be already known (and will possibly have been reviewed) and so perhaps pose less of a gamble for GOG.
GOG no longer officially stands for Good Old Games, hasn't in a while (2012 if I recall correctly?). It's just GOG now.

So they already did kind of rebrand. :wink:

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Tue, 5. Dec 17, 19:51

Alan Phipps wrote:Seriously, brand new (and hence unknown) non-Early Access releases would logically seem to be falling out of GOG's intended portfolio and comfort zone.
Everything must evolve if it wishes to survive, hence I think most people now take GOG to mean "Good old Gamers" - a reference to GOG's ethics and values.

Egosoft has always been the same, a reason I've supported them so strongly over the years, but if they can't release on GOG then they really have changed and don't deserve my purchase.
He who bends himself a joy
Does the winged life destroy,
But he who kisses joy as it flies
Lives in eternities sunrise.

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

Post by The Q » Tue, 5. Dec 17, 20:39

Ebany wrote:
Alan Phipps wrote:Seriously, brand new (and hence unknown) non-Early Access releases would logically seem to be falling out of GOG's intended portfolio and comfort zone.
Everything must evolve if it wishes to survive, hence I think most people now take GOG to mean "Good old Gamers" - a reference to GOG's ethics and values.

Egosoft has always been the same, a reason I've supported them so strongly over the years, but if they can't release on GOG then they really have changed and don't deserve my purchase.
That's rather contradicting. One the one hand you say change is necessary to survive. On the other hand you say you supported Egosoft, because they didn't change, and will stop doing so, when you feel they changed!?

The reality, however, is that none of the X games saw an initial release on GOG. Even more so, every X Game to date had some kind of DRM in the first year at least. Which makes an initial release on GOG rather unlikely.
Morkonan, Emperor of the Unaffiliated Territories of the Principality of OFF-TOPIC, wrote:I have come to answer your questions! The answers are "Yes" and "Probably" as well as "No" and "Maybe", but I'm not sure in which order they should be given.
xkcd: Duty calls

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Wed, 6. Dec 17, 09:59

The Q wrote:
Ebany wrote:

That's rather contradicting. One the one hand you say change is necessary to survive. On the other hand you say you supported Egosoft, because they didn't change, and will stop doing so, when you feel they changed!?

The reality, however, is that none of the X games saw an initial release on GOG. Even more so, every X Game to date had some kind of DRM in the first year at least. Which makes an initial release on GOG rather unlikely.
I said "evolve", small but very significant distinction.

And the "but if they can't release on GOG then they really have changed" is an obvious typo since none of the X-games have seen an initial release on GOG. It should read "haven't changed", to imply that if they don't do an initial release on GOG this time then they haven't changed.

I was unaware of all the previous X-Games having DRM like Steam, thank you for the update.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Wed, 6. Dec 17, 22:36

Indeed, all X games had some kind of copy protection on initial release - some methods were rather unpopular though.
Anyway, I personally wouldn't mind waiting a bit for a DRM free version of the game. Considering the fact that it needed various patches and the hard labour of the modding community to polish the games, I wouldn't mind waiting a while until a release on GOG happened.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Thu, 7. Dec 17, 04:23

Cpt.Jericho wrote:Indeed, all X games had some kind of copy protection on initial release - some methods were rather unpopular though.
I read that as "they got worse, and worse, and worse..." I discovered Reunion after it had been discount racked and as I remember the discount disk had no DRM. I got TC after DRM had been dropped, and AP when it was available without DRM on GOG.
Cpt.Jericho wrote: Anyway, I personally wouldn't mind waiting a bit for a DRM free version of the game. Considering the fact that it needed various patches and the hard labour of the modding community to polish the games, I wouldn't mind waiting a while until a release on GOG happened.
I'll wait for this one to appear DRM free as well, though if that is day one I would buy this day one. I buy pretty much any AAA release that is released without DRM.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 7. Dec 17, 09:04

Since discussion of copy protection invariably ends up with someone incriminating themselves, I suggest you return to the actual topic of this thread, which is release platforms.

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Thu, 7. Dec 17, 09:48

a connect event for all the x parts would be nice
especially when releasing x4 on gog
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

MrFiction
x3ap

Post by MrFiction » Thu, 7. Dec 17, 14:31

I prefer GOG as well, don't even have a Steam account anymore. Let's hope for the best.

It's clearly more profitable for Egosoft as well when I buy the game on release for 50$ instead of the complete edition at a GOG sale years later for only for 20$

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 7. Dec 17, 14:47

ubuntufreakdragon wrote:a connect event for all the x parts would be nice
especially when releasing x4 on gog
As has been explained a few times, we have no control over this. We only get to do it when GOG offer the opportunity, and for reasons that should be pretty obvious they are unlikely to do it at initial release for any given game on their platform.

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Tue, 2. Jan 18, 14:01

Seeing zero response here and watching the VR released on other platforms, I realise now that X4 coming to GoG is simply a pipe dream. Much like the last time with Rebirth, think I'll detach myself from Egosoft and their releases for a few more years. Unlike last time, if it finally gets released on GoG then not sure if I'll purchase a couple copies of the game to show my support. Still can't play Rebirth without bugs killing it for me.

Return to “X4: Foundations”