Pc specs to run X4

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 19:40

And we have some specs :D
Recommended:
OS: Windows 10 (64-bit), Windows 8 (64-bit), Windows 7 SP1 (64-bit)
Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K or AMD equivalent
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1070 or AMD equivalent (Vulkan support required)
Storage: 12 GB available space
Additional Notes: These estimates may change until final release.
Although, it is probably a bad idea to buy a new PC from those information we know at least what Egosoft is trying to target.

*Edit
CBJ wrote:Please don't read too much into those requirements; the store page can't be created without something in those data fields. We had to put something there, but at this stage it's little more than an educated guess.
Last edited by Tamina on Thu, 31. Aug 17, 21:08, edited 2 times in total.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

heratik
x3tc

Post by heratik » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 19:55

No Mac version as yet! :(

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 19:58

I cannot imagine it will be available like this until Christmas (ish) 2018 or as Sparky tried to disturb the Force with 2019 .. :(
Maybe it will be a little sooner than expected..... :)

Note to self... Don't buy a Mac.

heratik
x3tc

Post by heratik » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 20:03

birdtable wrote: Note to self... Don't buy a Mac.
ikr

But I have the mac for work, and gaming on it is just a sideline :D

-Dna-
x4

Post by -Dna- » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 20:03

Tamina wrote:And we have some specs :D
Recommended:
Although, it is probably a bad idea to buy a new PC from those information we know at least what Egosoft is trying to target.
Then, aim for the the recommended :lol:
Remember: Good things don't come to an end: good things just stop. ~ [cit. Sean "Day[9]" Plott]

:xenon: Xenon Love! \#/ :xenon:
:split: Grill the Borons! :split:
:pirat: Real pirates (ab)use Jumpdrive (and Rum) :pirat:

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 20:17

Only 12 GB of hard drive space? In the era where AAA games are near 100GB in size I think this is quite nice.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 20:18

Those are some pretty steep CPU, RAM, and graphics recommendations.

Compared to Rebirth, you're looking at twice the RAM capacity (8GB vs 16GB) and a much, much, much more powerful graphics card (GT 500 vs GTX 1070).

I'm inclined to believe there isn't much reasoning behind the recommended specs as they stand, they're simply there because they have to be for store page.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 20:34

birdtable wrote:Note to self... Don't buy a Mac.
Isnt that a given? :roll:

But yeah I would not read too much into specs for now, they might just be place holders as far as we know.

MFG

Ketraar

Doomdog19
x3tc

Post by Doomdog19 » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 20:34

Whoa Nividia 1070? I hope a 1060 will be okay. If not, I'll put 2 1060s in.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 20:41

Hmm, I've been looking for a good reason to buy a new laptop. I think X4 will be that reason - there is still more than a year till release.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 20:53

Please don't read too much into those requirements; the store page can't be created without something in those data fields. We had to put something there, but at this stage it's little more than an educated guess.

Loltak
x4

Post by Loltak » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 21:25

"Et Hop" into wish-list :D
X4: Fondations Vanilla all extension.
Casual ineffective player at slow pace

ishmaeltheforsaken
x4

Post by ishmaeltheforsaken » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 22:01

mr.WHO wrote:Only 12 GB of hard drive space? In the era where AAA games are near 100GB in size I think this is quite nice.
I haven't actually looked myself in probably ten years now, but the X games have always looked as though they can get away with re-using the same textures for a lot of different ships and stations, and they're not packed with hundreds of hours of dialogue. Textures and audio are the biggest contributors to install size in games.

I'm a little surprised no one's saying "only 12 GB? must be starved of content!" which is exactly what people were saying about Skyrim.

But 12GB is about the same size as Rebirth and Terran Conflict.

patient zero
x3tc

Post by patient zero » Fri, 1. Sep 17, 00:55

When I first bought X3:Reunion the minimum requirements were:

Win98 SE
P-IV @ 1.7 GHz
512 MB RAM
128 MB GPU

I'm glad I already had a good XP system. I built a Win98 system last year just to see how it would do and it was embarrassing. It worked but it got less than 1 fps.

:roll:
WinME
Sempron 3000+ @ 1.8 GHz
1 GB RAM
128 MB GF-FX5200
Total cost: $50

My current Win7 rig has Vulkan drivers but I don't expect to be satisfied with it. Time to start saving my pennies.
This is only a virtual reality.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Fri, 1. Sep 17, 13:30

ME and a Sempron? You're lucky it survived booting. :P

The way tech marches on, I'd say treat those as a minimum specs until we get much closer to release.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Rabiator der II.
x3ap

Post by Rabiator der II. » Fri, 1. Sep 17, 20:03

Tamina wrote:And we have some specs :D
Recommended:

*Edit
CBJ wrote:Please don't read too much into those requirements; the store page can't be created without something in those data fields. We had to put something there, but at this stage it's little more than an educated guess.
If you are going to buy a new computer specifically for X4, better wait until much closer to release. While this is always good advice, this time there are more specific reasons to do so:
  • Graphics cards have quite inflated prices at the moment due to the Ethereum mining boom. When that slows down, GPUs should come down to more normal prices.
  • Intel is really close to releasing the "Coffee Lake" generation of processors, including a 6Core + HT model in the "normal" consumer segment. You might want to see the reviews on that before deciding what you buy next.
  • There are still reports about crashes on some AMD Ryzen machines under heavy load, mostly when compiling. See
    https://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulleti ... p?t=583077. It pains me to say this as an AMD fan, but I'd give AMD a few more months to sort this out before buying a Ryzen.
Otherwise, I found that too little RAM is usually the first thing my computers struggle with when they get older. My next one will probably get 32GB, even if X4 should require less ;)

Edit:
Wit a bit more research, I found an article on Phoronix.com that narrows things down a bit:
In http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... ixed&num=1 Michael Larabel from Phoronix reports that the problem seems to be in Ryzen processors built before calendar week 25, 2017. That was in June.

So if you buy a freshly manufactured Ryzen today, you should be fine :)
Gazz in the LT forum:
In X3, piracy is not implemented at all. All the "pirates" that fly around are bands of roaming psychopaths that destroy everything they see without even trying to loot anything.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Sat, 2. Sep 17, 10:02

With the GPU prices as they are consider a 2nd hand part

2nd hand 980Ti is as fast as a 1070 and Vega 56 for half the price and can overclock to near stock 1080 performance.

YOYOMAN_MODDER
x4

Post by YOYOMAN_MODDER » Sat, 2. Sep 17, 15:42

BigBANGtheory wrote:With the GPU prices as they are consider a 2nd hand part

2nd hand 980Ti is as fast as a 1070 and Vega 56 for half the price and can overclock to near stock 1080 performance.
overclocked 980TI not equal stock 1080. nevermind.

Hector0x
x3tc

Post by Hector0x » Sat, 2. Sep 17, 17:27

The "seamless" part will probably require more power for the interiors of ships.

For me the products that are about two years old are totally fine for most games. I want to play with 1k resolution at stable 60 frames. And i have absolutely no problem to lower some quality settings. At normal gameplay i don't even recognize the difference between ultra/v.high/high. I think "ultra" settings only exist to sell overpriced hardware to benchmark freaks.

The textures on "medium" don't stay sharp if viewed from an artificially close distance the game isn't normally played anyway? Who cares?
The shadow map isn't super smooth? As long as there is at least something like a shadow it's totally fine for me. I'm not actively looking at such things and would opt for buttery smooth frames over image quality everytime.

patient zero
x3tc

Post by patient zero » Sat, 2. Sep 17, 17:47

Recommended:
My ISP has already started phasing out support for Win7. It seems likely MS will also stop supporting it soon. It might work okay at first but there won't be any future updates available.
This is only a virtual reality.

Return to “X4: Foundations”