EnglishGermanFrenchRussianItalianSpanish
Log inRegister
 
GOG release?
Post new topic Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
adeine





Joined: 31 Aug 2017



PostPosted: Thu, 31. Aug 17, 17:47    Post subject: GOG release? Reply with quote Print

Haven't seen this mentioned/answered anywhere and it's quite possibly too early to ask, but given that the entire series has been released on GOG at this point, will you be publishing X4 on the site at release?

Asking for those of us who do not use Steam and would very much like to invest in a true successor to X3 if and when given the chance. Wink

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT



Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Posts: 35863 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Thu, 31. Aug 17, 17:49    Post subject: Re: GOG release? Reply with quote Print

adeine wrote:
...it's quite possibly too early to ask...

Much too early.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adeine





Joined: 31 Aug 2017



PostPosted: Thu, 31. Aug 17, 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Understood. In which case, take it as a humble request to try and make it happen when the time comes.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lionroot





Joined: 27 Aug 2010
Posts: 7 on topic
Location: Uruguay
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Thu, 31. Aug 17, 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Same here, it would be great to have the chance to buy it on gog!

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EukaDealer





Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 26 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Wed, 6. Sep 17, 06:46    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

would also support onh gog. They even got a early access program running. So this would also be possible.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

Joined: 16 Apr 2004
Posts: 17838 on topic
Location: Stonehenge, UK
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Wed, 6. Sep 17, 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Would they have to consider changing their name to HGNG (Hopefully Good New Games)?

Seriously, brand new (and hence unknown) non-Early Access releases would logically seem to be falling out of GOG's intended portfolio and comfort zone. Early Access titles would at least be already known (and will possibly have been reviewed) and so perhaps pose less of a gamble for GOG.


_________________
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjknibbs



MEDALMEDALMEDAL

Joined: 06 Nov 2002
Posts: 28271 on topic
Location: UK
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Wed, 6. Sep 17, 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Alan Phipps wrote:

Seriously, brand new (and hence unknown) non-Early Access releases would logically seem to be falling out of GOG's intended portfolio and comfort zone.


The Witcher 3 was available on GoG the same day it was available on Steam. OK, that's obviously a CD Projekt game so you'd expect them to sell it on their own platform, but it nonetheless shows they can handle big AAA releases no problem.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Morkonan





Joined: 25 Sep 2011
Posts: 1602 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Wed, 6. Sep 17, 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

GoG is much more "mainstream" as a content seller than it used to be. However, it still retains its reputation regarding "good old games", too. They've done a remarkable job over there.

They've had several "Day 1" or "Week 1" releases for top titles and support/publicize new gaming development/etc fairly well, from what I remember last time I looked.

On a side-note - I don't see anything other than a massive publisher boycott doing anything to reduce GoG's continued growth as an e-distributor. But, I think it's too early for them to be seen as a serious market competitor and I don't think they want to view themselves that way, either. (ie: Very few exclusive launches, no proprietary formats/protection, etc.)

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StormMagi



MEDALMEDALMEDAL

Joined: 17 Mar 2007
Posts: 1160 on topic
Location: California, USA
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Wed, 6. Sep 17, 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I would appreciate a GoG option if possible as well. As much as I use Steam, I would prefer to give my money to a platform that also supports a game developer I really like.


_________________
MOD XR Show Skills

Flying spaceships since 1993.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adeine





Joined: 31 Aug 2017



PostPosted: Thu, 7. Sep 17, 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Alan Phipps wrote:
Would they have to consider changing their name to HGNG (Hopefully Good New Games)?

Seriously, brand new (and hence unknown) non-Early Access releases would logically seem to be falling out of GOG's intended portfolio and comfort zone. Early Access titles would at least be already known (and will possibly have been reviewed) and so perhaps pose less of a gamble for GOG.


GOG no longer officially stands for Good Old Games, hasn't in a while (2012 if I recall correctly?). It's just GOG now.

So they already did kind of rebrand. Wink

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ebany





Joined: 06 Dec 2003
Posts: 388 on topic
Location: Australia, Darwin
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Tue, 5. Dec 17, 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Alan Phipps wrote:
Seriously, brand new (and hence unknown) non-Early Access releases would logically seem to be falling out of GOG's intended portfolio and comfort zone.


Everything must evolve if it wishes to survive, hence I think most people now take GOG to mean "Good old Gamers" - a reference to GOG's ethics and values.

Egosoft has always been the same, a reason I've supported them so strongly over the years, but if they can't release on GOG then they really have changed and don't deserve my purchase.


_________________
He who bends himself a joy
Does the winged life destroy,
But he who kisses joy as it flies
Lives in eternities sunrise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017




Joined: 20 Nov 2009



PostPosted: Tue, 5. Dec 17, 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Ebany wrote:
Alan Phipps wrote:
Seriously, brand new (and hence unknown) non-Early Access releases would logically seem to be falling out of GOG's intended portfolio and comfort zone.


Everything must evolve if it wishes to survive, hence I think most people now take GOG to mean "Good old Gamers" - a reference to GOG's ethics and values.

Egosoft has always been the same, a reason I've supported them so strongly over the years, but if they can't release on GOG then they really have changed and don't deserve my purchase.


That's rather contradicting. One the one hand you say change is necessary to survive. On the other hand you say you supported Egosoft, because they didn't change, and will stop doing so, when you feel they changed!?

The reality, however, is that none of the X games saw an initial release on GOG. Even more so, every X Game to date had some kind of DRM in the first year at least. Which makes an initial release on GOG rather unlikely.


_________________
Morkonan, Emperor of the Unaffiliated Territories of the Principality of OFF-TOPIC, wrote:
I have come to answer your questions! The answers are "Yes" and "Probably" as well as "No" and "Maybe", but I'm not sure in which order they should be given.

xkcd: Duty calls
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ebany





Joined: 06 Dec 2003
Posts: 388 on topic
Location: Australia, Darwin
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Wed, 6. Dec 17, 10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

The Q wrote:
Ebany wrote:
Alan Phipps wrote:
Seriously, brand new (and hence unknown) non-Early Access releases would logically seem to be falling out of GOG's intended portfolio and comfort zone.


Everything must evolve if it wishes to survive, hence I think most people now take GOG to mean "Good old Gamers" - a reference to GOG's ethics and values.

Egosoft has always been the same, a reason I've supported them so strongly over the years, but if they can't release on GOG then they really have changed and don't deserve my purchase.


That's rather contradicting. One the one hand you say change is necessary to survive. On the other hand you say you supported Egosoft, because they didn't change, and will stop doing so, when you feel they changed!?

The reality, however, is that none of the X games saw an initial release on GOG. Even more so, every X Game to date had some kind of DRM in the first year at least. Which makes an initial release on GOG rather unlikely.

I said "evolve", small but very significant distinction.

And the "but if they can't release on GOG then they really have changed" is an obvious typo since none of the X-games have seen an initial release on GOG. It should read "haven't changed", to imply that if they don't do an initial release on GOG this time then they haven't changed.

I was unaware of all the previous X-Games having DRM like Steam, thank you for the update.


_________________
He who bends himself a joy
Does the winged life destroy,
But he who kisses joy as it flies
Lives in eternities sunrise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cpt.Jericho





Joined: 17 Jul 2006
Posts: 2551 on topic
Location: Outer Space
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Wed, 6. Dec 17, 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Indeed, all X games had some kind of copy protection on initial release - some methods were rather unpopular though.
Anyway, I personally wouldn't mind waiting a bit for a DRM free version of the game. Considering the fact that it needed various patches and the hard labour of the modding community to polish the games, I wouldn't mind waiting a while until a release on GOG happened.


_________________
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since CS 1.6
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timsup2nothin





Joined: 22 Jan 2009



PostPosted: Thu, 7. Dec 17, 05:23    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Cpt.Jericho wrote:
Indeed, all X games had some kind of copy protection on initial release - some methods were rather unpopular though.

I read that as "they got worse, and worse, and worse..." I discovered Reunion after it had been discount racked and as I remember the discount disk had no DRM. I got TC after DRM had been dropped, and AP when it was available without DRM on GOG.

Cpt.Jericho wrote:

Anyway, I personally wouldn't mind waiting a bit for a DRM free version of the game. Considering the fact that it needed various patches and the hard labour of the modding community to polish the games, I wouldn't mind waiting a while until a release on GOG happened.


I'll wait for this one to appear DRM free as well, though if that is day one I would buy this day one. I buy pretty much any AAA release that is released without DRM.


_________________
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
Control Panel
Login Data
The time now is Wed, 15. Aug 18, 08:46

All times are GMT + 2 Hours

[ Disclaimer / Impressum ] | [ Privacy Policy / Datenschutz ]

Board Security

Copyright © EGOSOFT 1989-2018
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Template created by Avatar & BurnIt!
Debug: page generation = 0.21369 seconds, sql queries = 29