FYI: X-Con is live on Twitch

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

FYI: X-Con is live on Twitch

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 15:52

For those of us off-topic denizens who never venture on-topic, this year's X-Con is being streamed live right now on Twitch by Egosoft. There will also be the announcement of X4.

**https://www.twitch.tv/egosoftofficial**
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 21:40

Thanks! I never get out of the basement, these days...

Watching the discussion stream right now!

Edit Add - Watching presentation, now. YES, you can fly every ship again!! FPS portion is seamlessly integrated. (Will be interesting, since I didn't play XR) NPC pilots, crew? etc? Map is back in importance for player asset management, much more dynamic universe, no two games the same, somewhat unpredictable, even for Egosoft, at the start.

Dynamic economy, not sure if it's like AP's, though. Planet generation includes environmental and population effects.

Vulkan render engine using PBR materials? !! (Physicality based rendering, which is as "real" as it gets, these days. Also makes it easier to convert/translate materials, depending upon what dev tools are being used, could also make things better between chipsets) Hmmm... I remember reading about Vulcan awhile ago, but haven't looked at it in a while.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)

Ah, i remember this, we had a discussion thread that included mention/discussion of it. According to the wiki, it's the same rendering engine that will be used in Star Citizen? Other notable titles on the list, as well.

Current stream in German, right now. Am trying to listen along, but my German is nonexistent.. (I can understand a tiny bit) Nevermind, am lost, vid background is distracting brain.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 08:16

Morkonan wrote: Ah, i remember this, we had a discussion thread that included mention/discussion of it. According to the wiki, it's the same rendering engine that will be used in Star Citizen? Other notable titles on the list, as well.
Just to correct you there, Vulkan is an API, not an engine--it's like Direct3D and OpenGL. An engine would be something like Unreal or Unity, which is a higher level construct--for example, Star Citizen uses the Lumberyard engine, which is derived from CryEngine.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 13:57

Vulkan seems hit and miss, Doom supports it, but some people have had problems running doom with vulkan enabled. Also the API drivers that are on or should be included with newer drivers for both geforce and AMD based cards, well for me, and quite a few other people on geforce cards, the drivers don't install correctly. (but installing the API drivers manually seems to fix that, but you then need to do it every every card driver update.

Still, the API needs a lot of work still, not sure how many other games support this API, but from what I seen from Doom steam forums, people have had problems getting the API to work correctly (install issues like I mentioned) or performance seems to hit and miss depending on what graphics card you are using. AMD cards seem to fair better.
=

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 02:19

pjknibbs wrote: Just to correct you there, Vulkan is an API, not an engine--it's like Direct3D and OpenGL. An engine would be something like Unreal or Unity, which is a higher level construct--for example, Star Citizen uses the Lumberyard engine, which is derived from CryEngine.
Sorry about that, was in the middle of things and didn't really make the distinction.

Alee Enn
x4

Post by Alee Enn » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 08:04

I missed the twitch stream, and the video on the twitch channel is of the German presentation. I watched the English presentation from a video on Youtube. I won't post a link in case that's not allowed or frowned upon, but if a Moderator says it's Ok, then I will.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 10:15

Feel free to post those links.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 11:51

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 12:25

When X4 is live on Steam, give me a call....
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 12:58

I think this topic discussion is best continued in the X4 Forum topics.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “Off Topic English”