NEWS: X Rebirth Virtual Reality Edition - Early Access launch, XCon 2017 and X4

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bernd
Site Admin
Site Admin
x4

Post by Bernd » Mon, 31. Jul 17, 12:18

A5PECT wrote:Will press outlets be able to attend XCon, or is it a "fans only, no pictures" type of event?
Yes.
The exact rules we will decide.
---
-Bernd Lehahn, bernd@egosoft.com

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Tue, 1. Aug 17, 00:16

BurnIt! wrote:All are welcome at XCon.
...as are any Egosoft employee welcome for hospitality should they be in the East Anglia region of the UK with a limit on 5 couples or individuals at anyone time. Must be dog, cat and horse friendly 8)

metalvenom
x4

Post by metalvenom » Tue, 1. Aug 17, 18:05

...as are any Egosoft employee welcome for hospitality should they be in the East Anglia region of the UK with a limit on 5 couples or individuals at anyone time. Must be dog, cat and horse friendly
Im from that area :P

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Tue, 1. Aug 17, 19:01

metalvenom wrote: Im from that area :P
XAnglia I can see it now... My village hall would be very pleased for the business :lol:

lplates
x4

Post by lplates » Tue, 1. Aug 17, 23:33

Ancient player showing his face due to the X4 announcement.

I realise its just been announced and its probabably some way off but could you give any indication of time scale?

Is it just starting development or are you announcing because you are getting close to alpha/beta stage?

I'm not looking for a release date just an idea of when you're aiming for. Any info appreciated.

Looking forward to a true X4....bring it on!

jack775544
x4

Post by jack775544 » Wed, 2. Aug 17, 03:53

Sounds very exciting, would definitely like any presentations to be recorded/streamed, Germany is a bit too far from Australia for a weekend trip :P
1940s - Various "computers" are "programmed" using direct wiring and switches. Engineers do this in order to avoid the tabs vs spaces debate.

Spartus
x3ap

Post by Spartus » Wed, 2. Aug 17, 05:18

Regarding buying for Rift vs Vive.

If I buy on steam, presumably using my steam credits and with supporter discount etc. does it still support the Oculus Rift inputs 100%, or is the Oculus store version for oculus and the steam store version for vive?

Also, if I buy on steam can I use with BOTH headsets (at different times of course... does it detect which one or is there a settings option to switch input method like gesture steering vs joystick steering).

elclub
x4

Post by elclub » Wed, 2. Aug 17, 11:43

Hi. Big fan of X Universe. Most played game on steam? X Rebirth :D :o

X3:AP and SPAZ are my games that are on my laptop when I travel. It’s a work laptop so have to keep low resource game, but X Rebirth is my top game at home.

When I got the email saying that X4 is a thing, man, was very happy that X universe is going to “expand” again :D, now the email from last night make me sad…:cry:

I can’t go to XCon for several reasons, mostly because I live on the middle of the Atlantic ocean and is to dam expensive to go anywhere and work, but most important is that X4 is getting some more news.

My question is if you guys are going to stream your event, do youtube videos, give some/more information to the “world” during and/or after the even? :?

Best, Club
Dream spacesims: X Universe; Elite Dangerous; Limit Theory;

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Wed, 2. Aug 17, 11:52

If you read the X-News again, you will notice that at the bottom it says that there's the idea of streaming at least a part of the event online and that you will read about the Highlights of the XCon in the next X-Universe News edition. Additionally, there are press events scheduled during the Gamescom. So information about X4 should find their way to you, even if you are not able to attend the XCon. ;)
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

elclub
x4

Post by elclub » Wed, 2. Aug 17, 12:09

X2-Illuminatus wrote:If you read the X-News again, you will notice that at the bottom it says that there's the idea of streaming at least a part of the event online and that you will read about the Highlights of the XCon in the next X-Universe News edition. Additionally, there are press events scheduled during the Gamescom. So information about X4 should find their way to you, even if you are not able to attend the XCon. ;)
What can i say :o :lol: THX . Miss that part :D

Now let Xcon begin.....

Best, Club
Dream spacesims: X Universe; Elite Dangerous; Limit Theory;

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 2. Aug 17, 16:59

lplates wrote:Is it just starting development or are you announcing because you are getting close to alpha/beta stage?
Neither. Development is well underway, and some of the features are well enough established for us to be ready to start talking about them, but we're not at any testing stage yet

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Wed, 2. Aug 17, 19:21

don't be shy. Where are the screenshots? (X4) :D

DavidGW
x4

Post by DavidGW » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 05:44

CBJ wrote:...and some of the features are well enough established for us to be ready to start talking about them...
You're just going to leave this here to taunt us, aren't you? :P

Don't leave us hanging! Pleeeeaseeee?????

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 06:35

UniTrader wrote:nothing to spoil really...
Vulkan API in Wikipedia
At least that means Egosoft is likely to keep the linux version, something that made me buy Rebirth even after all bad press :)

tanner1ie
x3tc

Post by tanner1ie » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 23:36

Please, please, please make my dreams come true and be just about to announce X4 for the PS4 and if possible both just to help promote the release as well as to let us play them on our system of choice, throw a cherry on top by releasing, at least Reunion, Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude, if not the entire X series on Playstation.

I wouldn't be too bothered if ye didn't include Rebirth in a PS4 version of the Superbox, though honestly i've never really given the game a chance, not having time to play it with Reunion to AP existing :) .
(Partly because i lost all my X save files in an early 2012 harddrive failure and forced system recovery and had to restart playing TC and AP, but mostly because those three games are so big :) .)

But if Rebirth was available on PS4, i'd be much more likely to play it.

On bringing the X series to PS4, i wouldn't need or even want the core games to change in the slightly, aside from giving them trophy support, an optimised Dualshock 4 control scheme and the new ability to run on the system... :) .

While i have been playing the X series on my PC for nearly thirteen years, it's always been with a lot more effort and discomfort than i'd like and pretty much every moment i was wishing i was playing it on a Playstation.

Firstly my PC is in my kitchen and i've no real room to fit it in my bedroom, where my Playstations are.
That means i'm sitting in a pretty uncomfortable office chair the whole time, but since i very often play my games in the early hours, whenever i have long/late sessions in X, it means i'm left sneaking up the stairs at 6am or later in an effort not to wake the whole house.

Overall i'd just be more comfortable playing in my room on my PS4 while i'd also disturb my family less (if at all) when playing X late at night, when in there.

On controlling the X games, i've played all the games i've played in the series, Reunion, then jumping back to X2, Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude 95%, of the time with my controller (a Logitech Dualshock 2 knockoff).
The only times i ever have to use my keyboard is for secondary functions like activating Seta, my docking computer or opening my cargo bay etc and the recent pretty stellar PS4 port of Elite Dangerous (which i've been playing near constantly since it came out on PS4 at the June) has shown that all that games' original PC functions can be mapped to the Dualshock 4 by using button modifiers.
(The game doesn't even make full use of the DS4, pretty much wasting L3 on switching to alternative flight controls, which could be done with a menu and doesn't make use of the pad's touchpad at all - that i've noticed on the latter, on at least.)

About the only time i use the mouse in the current PC versions of the X series is to easily target specific things (though i do have a button set to cycle targets).
If you wanted to keep the current series mouse targetting, that could easily be done with the DS4, possibly with the touchpad, but probably more easily it could simply be a secondary function of the right stick, say after clicking R3.

Of course when i got into the X series in 2005, the Playstation on the market was the PS2 and while it might not have been powerful enough (though it might still have been as it was still an impressive system and a big step up from the PS1, though of course while the PS2 did have online games, PSN didn't exist so adding patches to games, like the X series, would have been difficult.), but surely the PS3 was (and even this late in its' lifescycle still is) powerful enough to run Reunion to AP and i've no doubts in the world the PS4 could run them and more than likely even Rebirth.
(I was still playing TC and AP on a nearly 12 year old Pentium 4 PC with only 1 gig of ram, 'til i replaced it late last year.

I currently own and have tested Rebirth on my new PC which was pretty cheap and though it indeed has 8 gigs of ram, it only has an integrated Intel HD 530 graphics card and the game runs perfectly (at approximately medium settings).

Of course Rebirth only requires 4 gigs of ram and recommends 8 gigs, while the PS4 comes with 8 gigs and fundamentally PC based architecture and parts.)

The, as far as i can see, flawless PC port of Elite Dangerous, near perfect port of Tropico 5 (which only lacks the PC version's option to increase your island's population limit) and flawed but functional port of Kerbal Space Programme, should be proof that at least, Reunion to AP and surely even Rebirth will play and run perfectly on PS4 :) .
(And i believe the main thing wrong with the PS4 port KSP is a secondary one of it often deleting/corrupting save games unexpectedly, while any other problems were caused by a third party developer rushing the game to the system, but the core game itself still apparently runs pretty perfectly - we're still waiting for the game in Europe after SCEE, Playstation Europe rejected the initial build on quality grounds. But the port came out in SCEA, Playstation U.S. territories, while we're patiently awaiting the new build of the game on European PS4s, *any day now TM*...) .

The system even has the Playstation VR if ye wanted to port Rebirth VR to the system :) .

So again in closing, please make (or be already making) the X series on Playstation a reality! :) .
Ever dance with the devil by the pale moonlight?

LTerSlash
x4

Post by LTerSlash » Fri, 4. Aug 17, 08:02

Im going to be honest here. I rather they dont waste any time intro Vulkan, to me it feels it takes just a huge amount of time just to get the same perf as DX.
i dont bite the "Doom-Vulkan" thing that just poor OpenGL perf on AMD cards.

That said, i have Ryzen 1700 + RX 580, so ill be probably the first one to see gains, but i rather they just focus on the gameplay.

Also i rather no PS4 support either, not because the PS4 cant run it, because i dont want the game to be dumb down to console levels more than already is vs X3. But well, if Egosoft want to do a console version there is no much we can do about it, i just hope that it end up to being a port of the pc version with stuff being reduced and adjusted.

tanner1ie
x3tc

Post by tanner1ie » Fri, 4. Aug 17, 08:46

LTerSlash wrote:Im going to be honest here. I rather they dont waste any time intro Vulkan, to me it feels it takes just a huge amount of time just to get the same perf as DX.
i dont bite the "Doom-Vulkan" thing that just poor OpenGL perf on AMD cards.

That said, i have Ryzen 1700 + RX 580, so ill be probably the first one to see gains, but i rather they just focus on the gameplay.

Also i rather no PS4 support either, not because the PS4 cant run it, because i dont want the game to be dumb down to console levels more than already is vs X3. But well, if Egosoft want to do a console version there is no much we can do about it, i just hope that it end up to being a port of the pc version with stuff being reduced and adjusted.
Firstly there'd be no "dumbing down" needed to bring an X game or indeed the entire series so far to the PS4 or the Xbox 1 either, for that matter.

Like i mentioned, the PS4 has had several straight ports of PC games in recent years, and while due to Microsoft's relationship with other PC developers as well as being one itself, the Xbox 1 has gotten even more.
(Both system can easily run PC games - there's nothing "special" about the PC as a platform, nor the games released on it first :) .

On X4, i'm assuming it'll, even with the Vulkan stuff, it will still use the same base game engine and similar code to Rebirth as it's still relatively new and since it's only been used in one game so far, Egosoft will surely want to get their money's worth out of it and use it in at least one more game.
So i reckon X4 will have pretty similar system requirements to Rebirth if not exactly the same.

Therefore since Rebirth only required four gigs of ram (though it recommends 8 gigs), either way the PS4 would well run it, as it has 8, itself :) .

Even if the minimum amount of ram required to run X4 increased to 6 gigs, the PS4 still has plenty and though i doubt Egosoft will make it that or even would think of doubling Rebirth's required ram and make X4's minimum eight gigs, but even then, the PS4 has just enough.

Though if any PC game has required 8 gigs minimum or even 6 gigs yet, i haven't heard of it (sure plenty recommend that much, but i haven't heard of them needing it as a minimum yet - perhaps Star Citizen will be the first, if it ever comes out :) ), but either way even IF X4 required 8 gigs just to run, again as i said, the PS4 has just enough, but really since even many PC gamers don't have 8 gig systems to run the game themselves, i highly doubt they'd make the minimum ram as high as 8 gigs, if they even raise it above current games' 4... :) .
Last edited by tanner1ie on Fri, 4. Aug 17, 09:04, edited 2 times in total.
Ever dance with the devil by the pale moonlight?

Miniding
x4

Post by Miniding » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 12:23

I agree with you both...

LTerSlash is affraid that X4 will be Worth regarding the gameplay as XR is just because console need a gamepad!
I don't need a gamepad on PC but I must play with those gamepad menu in XR and that's a shame for me and a waste of time...

tanner1ie want's the whole serie on console... Sincerily why not?! But if you look closer to a PC running even X3TC, you'll understand there would be a dumbing down... Or at least a tunning down as X series are to eat RAM and GPU but you can't upgrade a console one. And all the threads to make the universe "living" are likely to be downgrade to be supported by consoles...

I know the PS4 is a great console but personnally, I prefer Ego Focuses on a great PC game like the old X was and don't miss the step of a good gameplay as they did for rebirth just to be close to a gamepad/console release...

IMHO, X is a PC serie and needs to stay this way to stay the kind of game the community loves. That said, if Ego wants to make a console one, Ok but don't miss the turn like for XR please....

Hope is up!
Miniding
X3 Reunion - X3 Terran Conflict - X3 Albion Prelude - X Rebirth - X4 CE...

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 17:37

To clear up this debate, we are not actively working on console ports for any of our games at the moment.

NEMESIS165
x4

Post by NEMESIS165 » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 18:45

Can you put X4 for pre order on steam ? I will buy it .

just take my money

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”