Below you find technical issues with the XR VR Edition and identified solutions. If you cannot fix your problem with these or if your problem isn't mentioned here, please create a new topic with the pieces of information listed at the bottom of this page.
The game does not start
If the game does not start, crashes or stops before even getting into the first 3D scene there is a good chance that you have problems with your 3D driver. Our game requires a Vulkan compatible driver. Always install the latest driver and if problems persist do a clean install (user defined install and delete all settings!)
AMD drivers: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
NVidia drivers: https://www.geforce.com/drivers
Vulkan error -3 on gamestart
If on gamestart you receive the following error, it means that Vulkan cannot find your graphics card.
Check which Vulkan version your system is using. To do so:XR VR wrote:A fatal error has occurred and X cannot recover:
vkEnumerateInstanceExtensionProperties(NULL,&count, NULL)Failed with err -3
- Open the start menu (press the Windows button)
- Clicking on "Run"
- In the input field type "vulkaninfo"
- Hit enter.
Please check the "Apps & Features" and uninstall old vulkan drivers (everything below 1.0.39). Afterwards download the latest drivers from nvidia.com / amd.com and install them.
If this doesn't work, try using the "DDU"-tool to remove any (parts of) old drivers, see this forum post for details.
Windows 7 or 8.1 installation
If you are trying to run the game on Windows 7 or 8.1 and run into a crash right before starting the game, you may try to install the Microsoft VS Redistributable package of 2017 from here.
Computer with multiple graphic cards
Another common issue currently is for machines with multiple graphic adapters. Unfortunately our Vulkan engine might be trying to open from the wrong graphic card. To fix this you can temporarily disable a graphic card in your device manager without physically taking the card out of your machine.
NVidia Option: Optimize for compute performance
The Nvidia graphic driver has a setting which should be off by default to optimize performance for computing (as opposed to graphics). This was reported to cause problems with our game. Try turning it off. Under the following link you find an explanation of the setting: Nvidia information about the compute feature.
GPU doesn't meet mimimum hardware requirements
While the Vive (Open VR) version should even run on graphic cards that are slightly below specs (e.g. NVidia 7 series), the Oculus build does currently not run on these machines and quits with an error code. Please check the minimum hardware requirements!
VR Controller not shown
VR controller have to be turned on before gamestart. Please restart the game to get VR controller to fully work.
Required Information when you report a technical problem
When you experience a technical problem, which is not listed among the issues above or which you cannot solve with the posted solutions, please create a new thread and provide the following pieces of information:
- Version and language (e.g. 4.20 Hotfix 2 English, etc.).
- Whether or not your game is modified using any third party scripts or mods (see note below).
- Exact nature of the problem, where and when it occurs and what you were doing at the time.
- Any possibly relevant changes you have made to your game, system, or software before the issue occurred.
- Where appropriate, additional symptoms, error messages, links to screenshots and crash dump files (see this FAQ entry).
- Your system specifications in the form of a DXDiag report (see this FAQ entry).
- Information about the installed Vulkan Driver, which is generated by running vulkaninfo32.exe, which is part of the VulkanRT folder located in the C:\Program Files\ directory (or on the drive you installed your graphics driver to).
While modifications for X Rebirth may work in the X Rebirth VR Edition, changes made to XR VR can lead to unforseen problems, which may not be apparent when you first install the modification. In any way, support for third party modifications must be provided by the authors of those modifications.