New Series of Doctor Who

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 17:17

Bishop149 wrote:This is clearly NOT going to change, the showrunners have been told repeatedly and very loudly and have essentially just egotistically stuck their heads in the sand in response to this very valid criticism.
Er, you realise the showrunners are all changing as well? Doesn't matter how much the previous showrunners stuck their heads in the sand if they're not involved in the new one.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 18:54

pjknibbs wrote:Er, you realise the showrunners are all changing as well? Doesn't matter how much the previous showrunners stuck their heads in the sand if they're not involved in the new one.
Well, I'd personally advocate that the problems name is Steven Moffat. :roll:
Is he going? If he is then yay maybe we'll see some changes. . . . finally.

Edit: Ah I see he is. WHY WASN'T THIS THE BIG DR WHO NEWS!! Far more likely to result in substantive change than the casting of a woman.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Wed, 19. Jul 17, 17:45

I guess no one read what I said on page one, as I pretty much also made the same comments as Avis.

The problem is the scriptwriters, and yes, Steven Moffat is leaving. He might be good at doing episodes, "Blink"

But after that, when he took over, the series in general took a major nose dive.

And Matt Smith could have been a lot better if he had decent scripts.

Which is why, this change is do or die, if it flops, that it, won't be watching it no more.

I also hope they introduce new enemies, and better story arcs. similar to quality to "River Song" and her introduction. but we not really seen quality like that for a while. (in my view)

I hope the changes are for the better, we will see how it goes, I just hope it gets dragged from the gutter, or should be left to gracefully die.
=

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Wed, 19. Jul 17, 22:39

But after that, when he took over, the series in general took a major nose dive.
Matter of opinion.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Thu, 20. Jul 17, 00:22

- when Janeway was made the lead role in Voyager, the saga took on new themes..
- the stories become more character-centred, maybe the overarching search for the home planet gave it a different impetus as well..

- I thought some of the female roles in 2nd Gen gave it a new edge as well - casting Whoopie Goldberg was inspirational..
- Firefly had a feminine side, as well - very thoughtfully written..

- Dr Who could lose some of the more bombastic music in the soundtrack, as well
- some of it's a bit over the top..

How about bringing back K9 and giving the electro-dog some clever dialogue..
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Mon, 24. Jul 17, 14:48

I have been thinking about the 13th Doctor, and I have a few thoughts:

1) There is no question as to the quality of the actress chosen. Several of my friends have seen her acting before (though I personally have not), and they have declared her to have the chops. She can do it well.

2) Chibnall and the scriptwriters are the key.

3) There IS one big issue with a female Doctor:
There is really only one consistent feature of the Doctor's personality - he is a bumbling twit, an idiot-savant whose one brilliant talent is saving the universe!

I don't believe I have seen a female play a part in this way[1], and I wonder if the scriptwriters have the courage to give Whittaker these kinds of scripts. If they do, it will mean that the character will be consistent, and there is potential for a brilliant success, in that it would be fresh and interesting.

If not? Well, there's a new person with the NAME of the Doctor, but not the CHARACTER.

[1] This is not to say it's never been done. Just not something I have seen.
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 24. Jul 17, 16:57

Usenko wrote: There is really only one consistent feature of the Doctor's personality - he is a bumbling twit, an idiot-savant whose one brilliant talent is saving the universe!
I would have to disagree strongly with that assessment. The Doctor is not a bumbling twit or an idiot savant. What he is, is an alien with an alien viewpoint and ideas, and the best actors have portrayed him as such (Tom Baker and Peter Capaldi spring to mind here, how I wish the latter would have had a decent showrunner and some good scripts to work with).

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Mon, 24. Jul 17, 20:48

I liked the Christopher Eccleston portrayal of Dr Who but after that the regenerated series lost it for me I don't know if I can return... the female concept does intrigue me though I'm not against that and wonder if the BBC will put extra effort into Dr Who as a result cos there has been some real shite; true of the older generations too I always felt Colin Baker was let down by the production rather his acting where as Sylvester McCoy was the reverse.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Tue, 25. Jul 17, 10:51

pjknibbs wrote:
Usenko wrote: There is really only one consistent feature of the Doctor's personality - he is a bumbling twit, an idiot-savant whose one brilliant talent is saving the universe!
I would have to disagree strongly with that assessment. The Doctor is not a bumbling twit or an idiot savant. What he is, is an alien with an alien viewpoint and ideas, and the best actors have portrayed him as such (Tom Baker and Peter Capaldi spring to mind here, how I wish the latter would have had a decent showrunner and some good scripts to work with).
Fair point.

An alien, with an alien viewpoint, who to unpractised human eyes appears to be a bumbling twit, an idiot savant, with a talent for saving the universe. :D

Seriously, I get where you're coming from, and you're quite correct. But the point I'm making is that the image of the doctor is one that is quite solidly flawed (from the audience's viewpoint), and some of those flaws are flaws we seem to be uncomfortable with ascribing to women. If the scriptwriters are willing to embrace that discomfort and write the 13th Doctor with those familiar eccentricities and flaws, then the result will at the very least be an interesting character.

(It is quite possible that the show could suck even with a successful character - there is more to a show than the acting - but if so, it at least won't be because of Whittaker).
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Graphil
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x3tc

Post by Graphil » Tue, 25. Jul 17, 20:11

I thought they did a great job with the female master so I don't see why they can't pull it off with a female doctor too.
Graphil

There are two secrets to life: 1) Don't tell everything you know...

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Wed, 26. Jul 17, 09:35

Graphil wrote:I thought they did a great job with the female master so I don't see why they can't pull it off with a female doctor too.
In terms of the character that's an easier sell, however. He/She's more the Chessmaster than the eccentric nut. I've seen women play the Master's kind of role before, but never the Doctor's.

Again, it's about scriptwriters. Do they have the courage to go there?

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 22. Aug 17, 11:02

Doctor Whos new companion Bradley Walsh? 57 year old game show host and Coronation Street actor.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2017/08/2 ... companion/

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 22. Aug 17, 13:30

I actually have some small hope that's a good sign. It seems unlikely they would shoehorn in some sort of romance between a 57-year-old man and a 35-year-old woman, even bearing in mind said 35-year-old woman is actually a 2000-year-old alien--it would be creepy as hell.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Tue, 22. Aug 17, 14:00

Not really sure I like the choice mind, but yeah,, get rid of the relationship thing between companion and the Doctor is probably will be a good thing. There been a bit too much oof that and is really does spoil things a bit.

I hope that the next season will be decent, but still, not really keen on the companion choice. (if it does turn out to be him)
=

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 22. Aug 17, 16:03

My immediate response is "WTF, oh no. . . . "

But then I had similar responses to Catherine Tate as a companion and Heath Ledger as The Joker, which both turned out rather well so I will reserve judgement.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 22. Aug 17, 16:52

Bradley Walsh has done serious stuff--he did several series of Law and Order: UK, for instance. You shouldn't judge his acting capabilities by the way he presents himself in quiz shows.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Tue, 22. Aug 17, 17:04

still not a fan of Catherine Tate, I still wasn't a real fan of her.

I guess because Bradley Walsh has done quiz shows, he is a bit of a turn off, and I just don't think of the chase in general.

I haven't seen him do serious stuff, i guess people will automatically see him in quiz shows and get turned off by him. still, I guess I will give him a chance, as long as he doesn't screw things up.
=

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 26. Dec 17, 21:33

OK, who's seen the Christmas special episode?
Spoiler
Show
Nice that the WW1 soldier they saved was an ancestor of Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, although doesn't that mean that the Doctor was effectively messing directly with his own timeline, which I thought was a no-no? As for the ending, I get the feeling Steven Moffat is basically thumbing his nose at Chris Chibnall and saying, "OK, get her out of *that* situation, me bucko!".

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Tue, 26. Dec 17, 23:44

Oh, Brilliant!

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 00:02

You can watch the Doctor Who xmas special on bbc (Uk region locked) or space.ca (Canada region locked)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... pon-a-time

https://www.space.ca/show/doctor-who/cl ... 8894/1832/

Return to “Off Topic English”