[X3LU] Mayhem 3.21b

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 00:16

Not possible. There are too many things linked to the changes I made to the OCV.

Besides, it would make absolutely no sense to have it back to its LUV form. They're too slow and they would be invaded in no time.

Igor.tverd
x3ap

Post by Igor.tverd » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 02:01

Too bad, my universe is kind of boring: I'm -5 with everyone but Argons & Yakis and everyone is too busy with each other to invade me, was hoping for some OCV actions so I turned down the time between invasions but that didn't help. I have only 3 sectors so maybe that's why.

Also happy to report that Pirate Guild runs well with Mayhem, I set it to Insane difficulty + allow to used ADS to defend pirate bases, the PB defense force takes out the attacking task force 50% of the time, sometimes calling in an M2 or M1 for support. Yaki Armada works well as well, but I barely see them even with 10 M1, they're underpowered for Mayhem.

Any way to bring Phanom back?
Fantasy is the impossible made probable. Science fiction is the improbable made possible.

kolimbo
x4

Post by kolimbo » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 02:49

Betelgeuse97 wrote:
kolimbo wrote:The laser/missile recycling is a wee hard to use if you are trying to get rid of 100s at a time. The menu shifts every time there is a new ship docking (due to ship recycling)
I think there's a workaround to that. Use a sanctuary that you don't use often and dump all the excess equipment there. Easy scrapping at that point.
Genius.

myrmidon
x3tc

Post by myrmidon » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 06:54

I'm enjoying my week before starting my very first developer job...it is the calm before the storm and I have a fresh new Mayhem version to explore. Sweet! Also DAMN since I probably won't be able to build much past the M7 era of empire development in a single week of gaming. I imagine that I will be doing very little immersive gaming starting next Monday.

______

v2.1.0 quick impressions after 20 in-game hours. Nothing very spoiler-y follows...but skip the rest of this post if you would rather to discover this Mayhem version entirely on your own....

1. The M4 start in randomized sector is brilliant. I allowed it to affect my choice of whom to ally with. Each game can lead to very different empires since I can make localized choices as to allies/etc. I've found myself starting over just to see where the new placement leads the "space opera" meta-game.

And it definitely put time pressure on my game. I felt compelled to grab up a pair of sectors while still flying an M3 after having just claimed a junked M6!! And in fact the ticking clock led me to start my empire in a dangerous sector (one that turned out to have a fair chance to see one or two Xenon M6 or M7-led task groups passing through in a 24 hour in-game period).

Nothing like seeing a Xenon C, two Xenon Ps, and twelve fighters appear close to my Sanctuary. And me with a Toukon M6 (you know, the fast badass looking but totally undergunned Terran M6, that has OMG wow, some dual-gamma-ray cannon turrets to sprinkle shots around. Absolutely zero concentration of fire. Might as well be a luxury TS) and a half-dozen M3s.

Well I'll just let them pass through. Then the Sanctuary takes nuisance fire as the M7 passes by while I bite my nails...and I watch as my M3 wing auto-deploys and gets half-shredded before I jump the survivors away.

Ah, Mayhem. The Station Director must have panicked.

2. Tuning. What a beautiful word. Seems to be an surprisingly balanced addition as well. I've even begun to think about Marine training again. Hoorah.

3. Merci for the y/n confirmation to recycle ships.

4. Enemy traffic impacting Sanctuary operations feature: I love the idea after getting over the dictatorial annoyance. Certainly more immersive to see my people heading to battle stations rather than paying attention to whatever the freaking boss wants. "I mean, dude, *I'm* not going out there to place that station right this very minute, when there is a Xenon ship out there, close enough to see out of the window. Nuh uh!":)

5. It also seems that we are now limited to placing new stations in the sector of that Sanctuary that build that station? Ouch but more realistic. Certainly slowed my expansion and made an early TL look really, really good (for resource transfer to begin building in another sector).

6. Totally minor point, but when my Research station was produced, the game announcement message had the word "Terran" in it. That's a bad word in this Sohnen empire game start.

____

Some questions for fellow commanders:

1. Never built Orbital Weapons Platforms before. Do players feel that a new OWP has a good set of ranged guns already installed (for its size/expense) to perform the "area denial/draw fire/survive long enough for help to arrive" function? Or is it better to research/build the cost-equivalent ships? (I assume OWPs are already armed, once built)

2. In the first 24 game hours...how much of the galaxy do you feel compelled to place advanced satellites in? I keep wanted to map as much as I can reach due to the sweet loot/ships available for salvage. I have about 50% of the non-pirate/Xenon galaxy in view of advanced satellites.

I sometimes wonder if I'm wasting time and effort since I manually order the satellites placed *exactly* where I want them. I spend a great deal of time on mapping and local/remote sat-dropping.

thanks and happy Mayhem-ing!

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 08:36

Glad you like 2.1.0.

1. OWPs come non armed. They are cheap however, considering their potential firepower. Cost-equivalent ships are M2...
2. I see many players wanted to map all the universe ASAP. That's not what I do; I deploy satellites when I have time, and I had all the universe mapped after only ~36 hours. I guess there's no "right" way, only a player choice!

@Igor.tverd: IIRC, Pirates Guild is incompatible with LU, meaning that it will probably mess up your game at some point or at least imbalance it.
Phanon will never come back, same reasons as OCV.

Betelgeuse97
x4

Post by Betelgeuse97 » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 09:51

Got a quick question: how long does it take for the first invasions to come in? That is, how long do I have before the Argon and such start claiming sectors?

hanuland
x4

Post by hanuland » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 09:57

Hello, Joubarbe.

I can't see 'Combat command software MK1' on upgrade section in my sanctuary. but there is 'Combat command software MK2'.

It needs 'CCS MK1' to fighters.

Betelgeuse97
x4

Post by Betelgeuse97 » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 10:24

hanuland wrote:Hello, Joubarbe.

I can't see 'Combat command software MK1' on upgrade section in my sanctuary. but there is 'Combat command software MK2'.

Are you making new fighters or reusing old ones? New ships come with the MK1.

hanuland
x4

Post by hanuland » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 10:45

Betelgeuse97 wrote:
hanuland wrote:Hello, Joubarbe.

Are you making new fighters or reusing old ones? New ships come with the MK1.
I am still working on the research station.
So I can not make a new ship yet.

I was checking the equipment of some of the fighters I had picked up from the universe.
Then, I just found that there was no combat software MK1.

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 11:12

Indeed Sanctuaries do not provide CCS MK1. I'll fix that later.

@Betelgeuse97: 6 hours.

Hector0x
x3tc

Post by Hector0x » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 15:02

myrmidon wrote:Some questions for fellow commanders:

1. Never built Orbital Weapons Platforms before. Do players feel that a new OWP has a good set of ranged guns already installed (for its size/expense) to perform the "area denial/draw fire/survive long enough for help to arrive" function? Or is it better to research/build the cost-equivalent ships? (I assume OWPs are already armed, once built)

2. In the first 24 game hours...how much of the galaxy do you feel compelled to place advanced satellites in? I keep wanted to map as much as I can reach due to the sweet loot/ships available for salvage. I have about 50% of the non-pirate/Xenon galaxy in view of advanced satellites.

I sometimes wonder if I'm wasting time and effort since I manually order the satellites placed *exactly* where I want them. I spend a great deal of time on mapping and local/remote sat-dropping.
1. Same here. Haven't found the time to play recently. I believe the OWPs are totally worth it, because you don't need ship resources to build them.
2. After playing a great deal of LU over the last years i've come to the conclusion that
a) you aren't missing too many opportunities by having a fairly small sat net. There is always stuff to do and if you'd see all the gameworld you would miss many of the events anyway while you're busy. After a certain point you also don't want to monitor the galaxy as frequently as before. The visible situations may not be the best in the universe, but you can get your hands full anytime
b) A good half of the gameworld is pretty unspectacular in terms of rep boosting combat opportunities or loot. Just get sats in some "hot" sectors like Black Hole Sun or Heretics End. Then some in those you have trade partners and you are good to go straight into the midgame.
c)Placing sats manually outside the enemy detection range is slow and fiddling as hell, but totally worth it in the long run.

hanuland
x4

Post by hanuland » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 15:35

If you tune in sanctuary the ship you have picked up, the ship is set to overspeed. ex) my heavy dragon has 196.2 m/s instead 170 m/s.
Actually, I want to hide this fact privately, but it is unbalanced and I think it is against the purpose of Mayhem. I really hope that joubarbe intended this. :D

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 16:10

hanuland wrote:If you tune in sanctuary the ship you have picked up, the ship is set to overspeed. ex) my heavy dragon has 196.2 m/s instead 170 m/s.
Actually, I want to hide this fact privately, but it is unbalanced and I think it is against the purpose of Mayhem. I really hope that joubarbe intended this. :D
No that's a bug. Will be fixed.

Sirrobert
x3ap

Post by Sirrobert » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 16:15

Hector0x wrote:c)Placing sats manually outside the enemy detection range is slow and fiddling as hell, but totally worth it in the long run.
When it comes to manually placing satellites everywhere, I usually have a remote control Kestrel run around with nav.software.
Just tell it to go to coordinates 0,100k,0
Come back a minute later, drop sat, move to next sector.
9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm crazy. The 10th is singing the music from Tetris

kolimbo
x4

Post by kolimbo » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 16:31

Joubarbe wrote:
hanuland wrote:If you tune in sanctuary the ship you have picked up, the ship is set to overspeed. ex) my heavy dragon has 196.2 m/s instead 170 m/s.
No that's a bug. Will be fixed.
Weird, only happens to a few ships. It also doesn't correctly apply the split rank 8 bonus.

Oh well. I'm just happy that capped ships don't randomly get instructions from their race anymore.

myrmidon
x3tc

Post by myrmidon » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 16:43

Thanks for the replies/feedback about sats...and I like the idea of coordinate placement.

I still feel an overwhelming compulsion to personally tell my ships to sats in the best sectors where possible *exactly* where I want that sat (Menelaus Paradise, Ceo's Doubt, my top two but there are many more I would feel blind without knowing what is going on) but I have some new thinking to try out based on player feedback.

I also really like how the new unarmed OWP represents a different way to "grow" the empire.

"Gotta get big guns for my OWP...how can I do this...and is it more important than..."

kolimbo
x4

Post by kolimbo » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 18:10

If you want to keep your sats without having to redeploy them every time a hostile ship goes into the sector, you need to fly quite far away from the center so that it is out of their sensor range. This usually means I don't deploy sats with anything other than my playership and I tend to do them slowly.

Thankfully, sats are not nearly as important in mayhem as they are in LU (since UTs are almost worthless in this mod).

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 19:18

"UTs are almost worthless in this mod"

Meeeeeeeeeehh, I disagree. I think they are important for giving you a continuous flow of reputation, balancing the natural loss.

Hector0x
x3tc

Post by Hector0x » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 19:31

And don't forget the Goners.

Sirrobert
x3ap

Post by Sirrobert » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 19:55

myrmidon wrote:Thanks for the replies/feedback about sats...and I like the idea of coordinate placement.

I still feel an overwhelming compulsion to personally tell my ships to sats in the best sectors where possible *exactly* where I want that sat (Menelaus Paradise, Ceo's Doubt, my top two but there are many more I would feel blind without knowing what is going on) but I have some new thinking to try out based on player feedback.

I also really like how the new unarmed OWP represents a different way to "grow" the empire.

"Gotta get big guns for my OWP...how can I do this...and is it more important than..."
You can personally tell your ships where to drop the sats without being in the same sector.
This game is about delegation after all.
9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm crazy. The 10th is singing the music from Tetris

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”