New Series of Doctor Who

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Oldman
x3tc

New Series of Doctor Who

Post by Oldman » Sat, 15. Apr 17, 21:31

Hi folks :)

Well...what do you think?
I thought it was pretty good so far, Matt Lucas adds some comedy to it, so a good start to the new series imho.

Oldman :)

pjknibbs
x4

Doctor Who new series (POSSIBLE SPOILERS!)

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 15. Apr 17, 21:40

Just finished watching this about half an hour ago. I thought it was pretty good--IMHO, Capaldi is much more watchable when he's doing wacky than when he's doing serious and brooding, and with Matt Lucas in the mix wacky is definitely where we're going. Pretty sure the "Doctor what?" joke is well re-used by now, though.

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Sun, 16. Apr 17, 01:33

S'ok, I guess

but this pilot Series 10 episode felt a touch like a veneer of what it could have been,
significantly too ponderous & padded, could have been a lot better,
especially in that the 'omnipotent alien engine oil spill' story had a lot more legs than that.
(maybe it still will, later)

Having said that, I think Capaldi is by far the best Doctor actor ever,
would like to see him given less of the 'expected script' filler thing,
and more real personality - e.g. he could have not just been a joshing bystander in the interactions,
but actually getting a bit more involved with the things going on (rather than just observing & commenting).

Still hindsight & all that...
looking forward to the rest of the series, it's potentially so much better than in some previous years.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sun, 16. Apr 17, 13:42

It was a decent episode, I wouldn't call Capaldi the best doctor just yet, I still have a love for Tom Baker.

As for the engine oil script, seems a bit fair fetched it could get to so many places. I got the reason why it was following Bill Potts, not sure I like her mind, especially that over the top hair do of hers.

overall, I hope this season is decent, unlike the last few seasons we had.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... doctor-who

Capaldi will be leaving at the end of this year, can't say I really blame him, like Matt Smith before him, I feel that the scriptwriters have really let the show down. also interesting is that Steven Moffat will be gone too, so I wonder who will be taking the helm? and if that person will do a better job at things?

Edit,

I think its good that Moffat is going, while he can write good episodes when he wants, "Blink" but since taking over the series, I think the series in general has dropped, also some of the scriptwriting at least in the last series was pretty damn poor at best. So I'm glad he is going, I hope the next doctor will be decent, and who ever takes over from Moffat. Otherwise, the best thing for the BBC to do, is to kill the series off and be done with it.
=

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Mon, 17. Apr 17, 13:43

I try never to judge based on the first episode of a new doctor or companion - they're necessarily a bit different as it takes time to introduce the new character and the story suffers. This was entertaining enough, if a little hammy in places. Bill seems to have a different approach to life that other companions, which could be interesting (or overlooked - you never can tell).

One of the UK tabloids has 'announced' who the new Doctor will be*, but most media outlets seem to be ignoring it, so you can too if you like.
*Or at least, who has filmed post regeneration scenes for the end of the series - I hope that's just Moffat calling their bluff again.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Mon, 17. Apr 17, 17:11

rumours of Kris to take on the role..??
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 17. Apr 17, 18:21

BugMeister wrote:rumours of Kris to take on the role..??
Not really sure he is suitable, I just don't really get any DW vibes when I see or hear his voice. I wouldn't mind a woman being the next Doctor, give the series a huge lick of page that it really needs.
=

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Mon, 17. Apr 17, 21:51

At least he would be better that that muppet Danny Dyer!
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Mon, 17. Jul 17, 02:52

ahem..
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... 3th-doctor

- interesting time-travels ahead, methinks.. :lol:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Mon, 17. Jul 17, 10:01

The vitriol on the internet is both entertaining and depressing.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Mon, 17. Jul 17, 13:57

Weird - it's going opposite to what one might expect. I'm finding a significant number of my female Whovian friends are quite anti - maybe the Doctor is the Perfect Boyfriend or something?
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 17. Jul 17, 14:28

I think it would be an interesting change to see a female take a leading role, after all won't be any worse then what we seen so far.

Hopefully if there are a new bunch of scriptwriters and of course steven moffat is also now gone, and to me, I blame the scriptwriters, poor leadership that made many of the earlier episodes pretty horrible, (especially Matt Smith episodes) (and while I don't really rate a lot of his episodes that highly, I do think he was letdown by the above, and was never really given a chance to really shine.

So yeah, I think its brave of the BBC, I also suspected that this would happen, we seen 12 males doing the role, I think its high time we see someone completely different and hopefully with a more interesting acting style and take on the show. Because, if she fails to do a good, job, I say its time to let the series die. as I will stop watching it completely then.

This is do or die in my book, and hell yeah, I say bring it on, show us what your made of!!!
=

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 17. Jul 17, 16:25

I think that Jodie Whittaker will do well in the role; if she is supported with good writing and the rest of it.

I found this article a good summary of Doctors to date.

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Mon, 17. Jul 17, 17:30

Usenko wrote: I'm finding a significant number of my female Whovian friends are quite anti
Being branded misogynists and internalized misogynists.

Silly women, having an opinion on science fiction and actors.
If only there was a group or society or sorority or movement that would defend their beliefs and views that they are equally entitled to...

But, no... They just hate women. Obviously.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 02:27

I can't see a problem with it Missy/Master worked very well, the sort of ramance angle between missy and the doc was funny aswell, I see they are not continuing with Bill as companion not sure what to think there she did ok I think , Matt lucas was great though.

There is a precedent here BSG changed Boomer and Starbuck to female worked out very well in my opinion.
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 11:00

Making the Doctor female is a none story to be honest, I don't think it will detract in any shape or form from 'Dr Who' as a series, might actually open up new possibilities in a positive way.

That said, I do feel the whole 'as a feminist' comment by Jodie and the BBCs whole 'ooo look a woman, solidarity sister' crap, I can't help but feel there is an element of deliberate drama creation to get an otherwise none story more publicity.

I know some people will disagree, Dr Who's real problem is the lazy shoddy writing, I hope that changes more than the change of gender which without decent writing won't make any difference, let the bloody cybermen, statues, darleks and all the old tropes have a break the writers should try coming up with something new each week not simply roll out old faithful just 'because'.

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 11:48

Avis wrote:I know some people will disagree, Dr Who's real problem is the lazy shoddy writing, I hope that changes more than the change of gender which without decent writing won't make any difference, let the bloody cybermen, statues, darleks and all the old tropes have a break the writers should try coming up with something new each week not simply roll out old faithful just 'because'.
Aye tottally agree there. new writer starts after Xmas special so fingers crossed it goes somewhere now.
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 12:27

TSM wrote:[...]
There is a precedent here BSG changed Boomer and Starbuck to female worked out very well in my opinion.
Dirk Benedict (the actor who played Starbuck in the original) however was deeply offended by it (one may say triggered):
Dirk Benedict wrote:[...]Women are from Venus. Men are from Mars. Hamlet does not scan as Hamletta. Nor does Hans Solo as Hans Sally. Faceman is not the same as Facewoman. Nor does a Stardoe a Starbuck make. Men hand out cigars. Women “hand out” babies. And thus the world for thousands of years has gone’ round.[...]
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 15:17

I agree with Avis, mostly a non story, totally within the lore / ethos of the show and could result in some interesting stuff.

My chief concern about a female Dr Who however is as follows (and again mirrors some of Avis' post).

The show has had a serious writing problem for a Loooooong time, the latest season has been better but most of Capaldi's reign and the latter end of Matt Smith have been bad. . . . utter dross at times. This is clearly NOT going to change, the showrunners have been told repeatedly and very loudly and have essentially just egotistically stuck their heads in the sand in response to this very valid criticism.

Now the prevailing narrative from fans about this and Capaldi seems to have been: "Uggg its such a shame to see a talented actor wasted on these crappy scripts!". I fear that with the advent of a female Doctor sexism will change the EXACT same problem into "See! A woman is crap at being the Doctor"
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 15:41

Bishop149 wrote: I fear that with the advent of a female Doctor sexism will change the EXACT same problem into "See! A woman is crap at being the Doctor"
These scum would say this whatever.

Return to “Off Topic English”