EnglishGermanFrenchRussianPolishItalianSpanish

Flight assist OFF - strafing and thrusting stops responding
View previous topic :: View next topic
Earth Ultimatum IV.

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 7. Jul 17, 11:49    Post subject: Flight assist OFF - strafing and thrusting stops responding Reply with quote Print

When flying flight assist OFF, sometimes the game starts ignoring my thrusting and strafing input. Basically, I can't change my ship's vector (I can yaw and pitch to aim my guns, but the ship keeps flying in the same vector with the same speed regardless of what thruster keys I press).

If I activate flight assist and disable it again, or use the brake button, it works again (but it's still very annoying and it takes a while to notice that your input is being ignored).

Recorded this, no mods and fresh savegame:

https://youtu.be/WqLi7HPV-Sc?t=5m30s

The glitch happened several times during the video, but it's most noticable at 5:30. After I stopped boosting, the glitch happened and my ship continued flying forwards at the same vectory and velocity (watch the space dust), despite mashing and holding the thruster buttons all the time (until I manually stopped the glitch by activating assist).

Earth Ultimatum IV.

PostPosted: Fri, 7. Jul 17, 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Also, an option for full flight assist OFF mode would be welcome Rolling Eyes Currently flight assist is still activated for roll even when you disable FA.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Mon, 10. Jul 17, 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I have not seen this stuck throttle/strafe issue in vanilla and wonder whether this could be a stuck controller input issue? Does it happen with just mouse & keyboard connected for example? Is your game modded and/or do you have a Newtonian flight mode somehow selected? (It sounds a bit like cruise control to me! Very Happy )

I thought self-levelling was the 'Autoroll' setting in Game Options rather than under Controls Options.

Earth Ultimatum IV.

PostPosted: Mon, 10. Jul 17, 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Alan Phipps wrote:
I have not seen this stuck throttle/strafe issue in vanilla and wonder whether this could be a stuck controller input issue? Does it happen with just mouse & keyboard connected for example? Is your game modded and/or do you have a Newtonian flight mode somehow selected? (It sounds a bit like cruise control to me! Very Happy )

It's a vanilla and a completly new savegame.

It seems to happen when I hold the thruster controls in a certain way during boost in FA OFF or when I stop boosting but the ship is still flying above the max non-boost speed and slowing down. I didn't pin it down yet (didn't play much). It doesn't look like a input issue, all keys work fine except the thruster keys (even roll works when this glitch is active).

Quote:
I thought self-levelling was the 'Autoroll' setting in Game Options rather than under Controls Options.

I have autoroll disabled, but it's a different function (autoroll levels your ship to match the system map).

What I mean is, that when you hold down your rolling keys (Q/E for me), your ship is rotating, but when you stop holding them down the ship will automatically slow down the rolling (regardless of FA OFF/ON). I'd like to continue rolling in FA OFF even when I stop holding down the roll button (so, having to manually stop the roll with using a opposite direction roll button, like in real physics).

DocAce
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

PostPosted: Tue, 11. Jul 17, 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Hi. While I can't immediately reproduce the described bug I'll put it on my list to check out. Any more hints as to how it can be reproduced would be welcome!

As for disabling the flight assist for rolling: we deliberately limited that feature to only change linear movement. We felt that doing the same for rotation didn't add anything significant to the player's toolkit and would be annoying if it was forced to be on.

Earth Ultimatum IV.

PostPosted: Wed, 12. Jul 17, 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

DocAce wrote:
Hi. While I can't immediately reproduce the described bug I'll put it on my list to check out. Any more hints as to how it can be reproduced would be welcome!

As for disabling the flight assist for rolling: we deliberately limited that feature to only change linear movement. We felt that doing the same for rotation didn't add anything significant to the player's toolkit and would be annoying if it was forced to be on.

I will jump on testing as soon as I'll be able to. Will update then, maybe record a vid or something.

Earth Ultimatum IV.

PostPosted: Sat, 15. Jul 17, 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I found out the conditions under which the glitch happens, and managed to reproduce it everytime I try.

1. Thrust forwards, hold the thrust button
2. While thrusting forward, activate the afterburner for a while
3. Stop boosting and thrusting forward, and immidiatelly turn your ship around while thrusting to the opposite direction of the boost.

Video of this, where I perform the steps and my thrust controls lock and don't react even though I'm mashing them all the time, and I have to turn flight assist ON to get rid of the glitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hth6fcDxQnY&feature=youtu.be

Helios01

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Fri, 11. Aug 17, 01:54    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I can confirm that strafing seems to have absolutely no effect while boosting, and even a few seconds after boosting with FA OFF. This bug was there ever since the feature was intruduced and is making it impossible to fly efficiently with the FA OFF, as the ship clearly has unreasonably less maneuverability than with FA ON.