Stupid really annoying first-world-problems

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jericho
x2

Stupid really annoying first-world-problems

Post by Jericho » Mon, 26. Jun 17, 11:46

I have long legs. I refuse to buy stuff at the tall-shops, as their stuff is overpriced and looks crap (OK, I might be living in the past, I last visited High&Mighty about 20 years ago.).

So I buy the longest trousers for suits that I can, (usually 33inch leg) and then take them to the tailor to let them down.

I took a new pair of trousers in, and told them to I wanted them let down by 2.5cm. They said, "That's fine! But there is a long wait at the moment, so it will be about 3 weeks."

Oh well, that's life.

I go back 3 weeks later, they haven't bothered to phone me (They also do my dry-cleaning and my shirt-washing-ironing, so I get regular texts about my stuff being ready).

"Oh I'm afraid that the alterations weren't done. You specified that you wanted them let down 2.5CM, but the tailor only works in inches."

I just stared at her.
I just couldn't think of anything to say that wasn't a huge insult (I was already in a sleep deprived bad mood anyway.)

Ignoring the fact that they didn't bother to contact me, and left me waiting for 3 weeks...

Ignoring the fact that they were happy to take my measurements in CM despite, apparently, only working in inches...

I think you can guess what part of this really pisses me off...

I wanted them let down by 2.5CM... And they only work in Inches.
They have special tape measures without cm?
They can't check on their phone what the conversion could be?
They've spent decades as tailors (according to the sign) without knowing that 1 inch is 2.54CM!!!

2.5CM is 1 bloody inch!!!

(I would love to see the tailor that can make that .4 of a millimeter precision.)

Of course, another 3 week wait.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

Skism
x3tc

Post by Skism » Mon, 26. Jun 17, 11:55

Get a different Tailor - this one is an idiot!
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest."

-Thomas Paine-

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 26. Jun 17, 12:17

That sounds more like a made-up excuse for a forgotten job.

If they took your measurements anyway then didn't the tailor know how much to let down the trousers by?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 26. Jun 17, 12:33

Depends how good the tailor is and how good the dry cleaning/ironing service ... if good then just shrug and move on, put it down to another episode in the rich tapestry of life ...... If your willing to wait another 3 weeks then the tailoring is good or you just got no choice...... :(

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Mon, 26. Jun 17, 12:40

I can understand ignorance. It happens.

The bit I don't get is why the girl didn't just ask you. If she needed to know it was one inch I'm sure you wouldn't have refused to tell her. She's a salesgirl after all. It's her job to interact with customers and in my admittedly limited experience of life I've never met a salesgirl too scared to talk to me.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 26. Jun 17, 12:56

Ahhhhh but maybe she did not know that the tailor was a stickler for tradition, that all good tailors work in inches .... especially ye olde English ones.... maybe the sales person found the long legged Jericho a distraction.

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: Stupid really annoying first-world-problems

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 26. Jun 17, 20:12

Jericho wrote:...
Of course, another 3 week wait.
That was just an excuse - They forgot or otherwise borked it up.

Many dry-cleaners/launders as well as clothing retailers will use third-party tailors who follow a specific schedule. If you do this sort of thing a lot, find a different tailor as it's obviously not worth the wait for such a minor alteration.

In the US, there are several chains of Big & Tall stores and most department stores have B&T sections. Most of these also provide tailor services in one way or another. In my experience, most alteration requests are done in four days or so for simple alterations. For suits, that tends to hold true as well.

A good tailor, though, is a great asset to have. If I were you and I often had to have clothes altered, I'd look specifically for a tailor/seamstress. They're not that difficult to find and if you needed references, any dress/suit shop should be able to refer you to who they normally use.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Mon, 26. Jun 17, 22:13

I trust you asked for them to be let down 0.98 of an inch. ;)
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Tue, 27. Jun 17, 11:42

Rapier wrote:I trust you asked for them to be let down 0.98 of an inch. ;)
I'm petty, very VERY petty, but not even I am that petty :)
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 14:43

Finally a story to match Jericho ,,,, Not annoying but unreal,,,
Down here in Devon there are many quaint characters and establishments.
This morning while travelling from A to B we (my wife and of course myself) passed an unvisited small Farm Shop/Cafe, decided we would call in for toast and coffee... "Is it possible to have toast and coffee" we asked ,, "sorry don't do toast but I can toast you a bap or there are some very nice sandwiches, I used all the bread making sandwiches".
Trying hard to hide any appearance of amusement we accepted the toasted bap and asked for toasted bap and marmalade,,,, "Sorry" came the reply "we don't do marmalade, but you can buy a jar in the shop and take it home with you afterwards but the sandwiches are very nice".
Needless to say we departed trying not to laugh until we reached the car.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 15:43

@ birdtable: You called in and asked for relatively cheap slices of toast and instead the shop *sold* you toasted baps and a full jar of marmalade while repeatedly advertising their sandwiches. So tell us again who was really laughing at whom when you left? :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 16:05

Forget toast, this is pizza.
I once went to a pizza place, a few people in front of us, they were all seated, greeter met us at the door:

"Hello, welcome, I'm afraid we're out of pizza bases at the moment, table for 2?"

No. No I don't want a table for 2 at a pizza place that has no pizza.

What were the 3 groups in front of us going to eat?
We left, the people behind us didn't leave.

What. The. Fudge?

All these people wanted to eat a tasty pizza (They were the best), and instead they all settled for side-salads and a coke?

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 16:40

Jericho wrote:Forget toast, this is pizza.
I once went to a pizza place, a few people in front of us, they were all seated, greeter met us at the door:

"Hello, welcome, I'm afraid we're out of pizza bases at the moment, table for 2?"

No. No I don't want a table for 2 at a pizza place that has no pizza.

What were the 3 groups in front of us going to eat?
We left, the people behind us didn't leave.

What. The. Fudge?

All these people wanted to eat a tasty pizza (They were the best), and instead they all settled for side-salads and a coke?
Most pizza places I know (at least restaurants like you are talking about here) also sell pasta and other italien food. But you are of course over all right, if you go to a pizza you would most likely want to eat pizza.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 17:06

@ Alan Phipps ... " SOLD" is the operative word ... Tried to sell but failed,, we left having purchased nothing, vowed never to return ..... but we did find it very humorous .....
What was most entertaining was the straight faced statement that she had used all the bread to make sandwiches which she continually pointed out as being very nice ...you had to be there to fully understand the surreal conversation, It was only a precis of the full conversation to avoid the infamous wall of text that does appear sometimes.. :)

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 17:56

birdtable wrote:@ Alan Phipps ... " SOLD" is the operative word ... Tried to sell but failed,, we left having purchased nothing, vowed never to return ..... but we did find it very humorous .....
What was most entertaining was the straight faced statement that she had used all the bread to make sandwiches which she continually pointed out as being very nice ...you had to be there to fully understand the surreal conversation, It was only a precis of the full conversation to avoid the infamous wall of text that does appear sometimes.. :)
You make it sound almost like a "Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy"-esque moment. :P
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 21:53

Jericho wrote:All these people wanted to eat a tasty pizza (They were the best), and instead they all settled for side-salads and a coke?
A few years back I went into a KFC that... Had no chicken. All they had were chicken burgers... Bah! Bah I say!

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Fri, 1. Sep 17, 10:31

Golden_Gonads wrote:
Jericho wrote:All these people wanted to eat a tasty pizza (They were the best), and instead they all settled for side-salads and a coke?
A few years back I went into a KFC that... Had no chicken. All they had were chicken burgers... Bah! Bah I say!

Their popcorn chicken is the best. Never a fan of the chicken burger that anyone sells.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Fri, 1. Sep 17, 10:42

So that'd be KF then? ;)
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 2. Sep 17, 02:31

Usenko wrote:So that'd be KF then? ;)
/win

:lol:

Return to “Off Topic English”