Quick question re: delivery missions

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Geek.Verve

Quick question re: delivery missions

Post by Geek.Verve » Fri, 16. Jun 17, 18:17

This is probably a dumb question, but here goes...

Is there a way in-game to see how much cargo space a particular item requires? I've had to abort missions that require that I transport a certain number of items, because I lacked enough cargo space, even though my cargo hold size is well over that number (even with food stuffs). I've tried looking for the items in the encyclopedia, but they're never listed (e.g. luxury food stuffs).

AleksMain
x3tc

Re: Quick question re: delivery missions

Post by AleksMain » Fri, 16. Jun 17, 18:29

Geek.Verve wrote:...
Is there a way in-game to see how much cargo space a particular item requires? I've had to abort missions that require that I transport a certain number of items, because I lacked enough cargo space, even though my cargo hold size is well over that number (even with food stuffs). I've tried looking for the items in the encyclopedia, but they're never listed (e.g. luxury food stuffs).
Here it is:
http://www.x3wiki.com/index.php/Transport_Cargo
x3 wiki wrote: Artefact 4 M
Medical Equipment 5 M
Cartography Chips 1 S
Entertainment Chips 1 S
Radioactive Waste 3 XL
Luxury Foodstuffs 2 S

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Need info

Post by Bill Huntington » Fri, 16. Jun 17, 19:30

Geek, here's two ways I use that are simple. I've restarted a number of times. I save the TC/AP universe I have at the end of good game. All of the sectors are clear and all or most of the game's items are listed in the Encyclopedia. I save that in Game Save number 10 and don't save over it. Then in a current game I can reload that Save, check my info, and reload the current game.

Or I just save before the mission, and reload if I can't do it for the reasons you said. I'm here to have a good game. It's single player. Am I cheating myself? No, I enjoying the game quite well, thank you.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

Geek.Verve

Post by Geek.Verve » Fri, 16. Jun 17, 20:17

As always, the folks around here are awesome and helpful.

Thanks!

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Fri, 16. Jun 17, 21:50

Rule of thump for these missions: Get a Boron Angel with jumpdrive, put some Ecells on it and you can do pretty much any transport cargo mission.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Imgran

Post by Imgran » Sat, 17. Jun 17, 05:36

Cpt.Jericho wrote:Rule of thump for these missions: Get a Boron Angel with jumpdrive, put some Ecells on it and you can do pretty much any transport cargo mission.
Or if playing TC, get a Chokaro or a Split Boa and do the same thing. There's pretty much no ship better for quest grinding than a TM.
OTAS -- it's like 42, the answer to life, the universe, and everything

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Sun, 18. Jun 17, 03:28

TMs can't do some Taxi missions. Some passengers want a TS for transport.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Imgran

Post by Imgran » Sun, 18. Jun 17, 11:52

Yep. That's about the only kind of mission a TM can't try its hand at though. Compared to any other ship class in the game there's fewer quests a TM, or the fighters it can carry, can't do than anyone else. TM's are the SUV of the X3 universe, not specialized for any one thing but there isn't a lot they can't do.

Easy enough to spot the TP-only missions, those are the ones that say "passenger transport" somewhere in the mission description, so just have your TP jump in and start docking at the station before accepting those missions and you're good.
OTAS -- it's like 42, the answer to life, the universe, and everything

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Mon, 19. Jun 17, 00:14

Imgran wrote:Easy enough to spot the TP-only missions, those are the ones that say "passenger transport" somewhere in the mission description
The description differs occasionally; IIRC there are 3 different "scripts" the client offers; one of which is the same as a plain 'bus' mission:

Watch out for 'luxury transport' requests: this requires a TP for pickup. I can't remember the other one(s) tho :(

Ofc once picked up most pasengers can be swapped to any other ship with CbLS & transported remotely (altho IIRC there's one non-plot mission type that requires a personal set-down too; I may be wrong with this last)
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Mon, 19. Jun 17, 07:27

Imgran wrote:
Cpt.Jericho wrote:Rule of thump for these missions: Get a Boron Angel with jumpdrive, put some Ecells on it and you can do pretty much any transport cargo mission.
Or if playing TC, get a Chokaro or a Split Boa and do the same thing. There's pretty much no ship better for quest grinding than a TM.
Well, I beg to differ with the "no ship better" part of your statement. The Springblossom or the overtuned Hyperion do better in that regard.

cu
Rainer

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Wed, 21. Jun 17, 01:25

RainerPrem wrote:Well, I beg to differ with the "no ship better" part of your statement. The Springblossom or the overtuned Hyperion do better in that regard.
Kestrel (with JD + fuel) beats all for single-passenger deliveries! even if out of fuel range it can often refuel + jump or simply speed to its destination safely

Just watch for IS problems (ie collisions), & don't take the mission while flying the Kestrel. Pick the slowest appropriate (ie TP) ship you have nearby, dock & accept the mission, then swap passenger to Kestrel, switch back to <whichever> other ship handy & jump back out. After you've jumped OOS you can safely tell the Kestrel to transport its passenger with little or no micro involved (dependent upon mission type; see above for caveat)
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Wed, 21. Jun 17, 05:46

Snafu_X3 wrote:
RainerPrem wrote:Well, I beg to differ with the "no ship better" part of your statement. The Springblossom or the overtuned Hyperion do better in that regard.
Kestrel (with JD + fuel) beats all for single-passenger deliveries! even if out of fuel range it can often refuel + jump or simply speed to its destination safely

Just watch for IS problems (ie collisions), & don't take the mission while flying the Kestrel. Pick the slowest appropriate (ie TP) ship you have nearby, dock & accept the mission, then swap passenger to Kestrel, switch back to <whichever> other ship handy & jump back out. After you've jumped OOS you can safely tell the Kestrel to transport its passenger with little or no micro involved (dependent upon mission type; see above for caveat)
Hi,

While you are certainly correct concerning passenger missions, we were talking ware delivery earlier. 97 units or radioactive waste don't fit easily into a Kestrel.

cu
Rainer

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Thu, 22. Jun 17, 02:06

RainerPrem wrote:While you are certainly correct concerning passenger missions, we were talking ware delivery earlier.
<facepalm!> I completely lost track of the OOP msg!

However, I rarely do 'deliver ware' missions because of their huuuuge requirements in items & bulk, so that may act as mitigation.. however I apologise for my irrelevant advice! :)

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Thu, 22. Jun 17, 05:53

Snafu_X3 wrote:
RainerPrem wrote:While you are certainly correct concerning passenger missions, we were talking ware delivery earlier.
<facepalm!> I completely lost track of the OOP msg!

However, I rarely do 'deliver ware' missions because of their huuuuge requirements in items & bulk, so that may act as mitigation.. however I apologise for my irrelevant advice! :)
Fact is: They are quick, they pay well, and you don't need to accept it in a ship capable of doing the mission. Running around in a fast ship to look for missions you can first order your transport to the first station and then take the mission once it's landed, flit over with your Kestrel, and then switch ships.

cu
Rainer

Geek.Verve

Post by Geek.Verve » Fri, 23. Jun 17, 17:18

Follow up question: the whole ship juggling mechanic required to complete missions seems a bit contrived. I don't know why missions are treated differently than remote trading, but it is what it is.

Am I correct in my understanding that to execute and complete a mission (thinking of transport and delivery, here), I just need to be in the delivery ship when docking at the final destination? Can I send my remote TP to pick up the passenger, dock it at the destination station and then fly to the destination station in my scout and switch ships, to complete the mission?

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Fri, 23. Jun 17, 18:05

no you have to personally do the pickup and delivery.

Any time you need to transport something from a -> b you must be the one who does it. Things like commodity delivery (ore, energy cells etc), you only need to be in the ship to deliver it.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 23. Jun 17, 19:20

Geek.Verve wrote:Follow up question: the whole ship juggling mechanic required to complete missions seems a bit contrived....
It's only contrived if you do the ship juggling thing. I personally don't play that way and I don't see it as a requirement. If I see a mission that requires, for example, a TP, I'll call one in if I'm not currently flying it. I'll transfer to the TP and then land, accept the mission, and complete it, all while flying the TP. I personally consider the juggling act to be an exploit and not in the spirit of the game or the mission. But whether you do it or not is your call. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Sat, 24. Jun 17, 03:51

Geek.Verve wrote:Follow up question: the whole ship juggling mechanic required to complete missions seems a bit contrived....
The 'ship-juggling thing' is only there to save mission time: if you accept the mission in a fast ship the mission will spawn a shorter 'delivery time' than if you do so in a slow ship. It's not necessarily useful (or convenient) to do so every time, but it's a useful trick to bear in mind.. which is why I mentioned it :)

There are other tricks available (eg the 'bomber trick'), but I'll let you discover them yourself ;)

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 24. Jun 17, 13:48

Snafu_X3 wrote:The 'ship-juggling thing' is only there to save mission time: if you accept the mission in a fast ship the mission will spawn a shorter 'delivery time' than if you do so in a slow ship.
It does? Oh dear.

This I know:
1. See that there is a mission, but not check it.
2. Save
3. Check mission
4. Reload
5. Check mission
Will result in different details of the mission.

1. See that there is a mission, and check it.
2. Save
3. Reload
4. Check mission
The mission does not change.

In other words, the mission details are definitely set when you do read it for the first time, but not before.

You state that the mission timers can change drastically if you re-read the same mission multiple times in different ships? Could be.

When I see an interesting mission (i.e. read it), I might have to call in a required vessel but usually accept the mission before swapping ships. There is usually enough time.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Sun, 25. Jun 17, 03:18

jlehtone wrote:You state that the mission timers can change drastically if you re-read the same mission multiple times in different ships? Could be.
Not quite! If you /click/ the mission in a fast ship the mission will spawn a shorter allowed mission time than if you do so in a slow ship.
(I haven't tested, but I expect this holds true for any timed missions such as asteroid scans, cargo deliveries etc. Therefore if you save-scum to check the above, do so while IS but before clicking on the mission)

I'm pretty sure I checked this before in TC (& have confirmation from others, when I find the ancient references), but I can do it again if you insist (can't do so for AP: see sig)

Ofc I could be wrong & mission times are generated with missions upon entering the sector, which will make things /really/ hard to test.. but I think I'm OK with my current hypothesis

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”