[X3LU] Mayhem 3.21b

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Mr.YaR
x3ap

Post by Mr.YaR » Fri, 26. May 17, 08:05

Hey))

I've reinstalled X3AP for Mayhem 2 and am trying to figure out what to do and how.

Never played X3 seriously (played mostly X2). Played it always as a wanderer/sort of random sell sword, never liked campains so did not try to get into either. Got some cash from combat, gathered some small fleets = got into troubles. The End.

So pardon if my questions may seem obvious, but i didn't find the answers by myself.

The situation:

Mayhem = meatsteak delivery simulator?
Spent maybe 2 hours delivering food to my Sanctuary without seeing it doing anything except diminushing the food i bring...

Spent some time on exploration: reached Kea Epsilon (scouting prices)

Spent some time scouting the(all i could reach) menus, reading stuff, configuring some...

And... voila...

The questions:

Where do get the information about how things work?? Did read descriptions, went to the encyclopedia - still no clue how the Sanctuary works/ how to produce crystals, food, somethingelseuseful

Do i need to supply a certain amount of resources for the Sanctuary and Research center to start working?? or are they stuck due to some sort of cooldown?

How do i know what to supply to where?
Did search the interface to know how to build a trade ship to speed up meatsteak delivery and found nothing helpful.

Should i go Ore mining? But seems hard with the meatsteak problem.
Never mined things in X3, no idea the time it takes.

Is selling the main guns of the starting squirrel ship a good idea?
May it help activating the Sancturay faster?

Is it possible to rename your faction in peace?

Thanks for your attention!
Getting to back to my meatsteaks...

Sirrobert
x3ap

Post by Sirrobert » Fri, 26. May 17, 09:42

You produce goods with factories. Exactly as in vanilla.
Finish exploring the Omicron Channel, that will unlock all functions.

The sanctuary has a place to build ships, and one to build stations. You can scan ships, then research them at the research station, then build them.
9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm crazy. The 10th is singing the music from Tetris

Mr.YaR
x3ap

Post by Mr.YaR » Fri, 26. May 17, 11:33

Oh, that confirms a guess i had: it has something to do with exploration!

Seems not very intuitive to me for a sandbox oriented gameplay =)

Just reached the sector giving you the scanning tips.

EDIT: Things got definitely clearer when finished the tutorial flight.

Mr.YaR
x3ap

[Mayhem] AI combat questions

Post by Mr.YaR » Sat, 27. May 17, 19:58

Benn watching some AI vs AI fleets combat in mayhem.
Some moments looked very flat. (Unability of AI to minimaly understand the tactical situation = suicides, suicides and suicides)

Questions:

- Is there anything to do about the AI threat estimation?
To make the AIs estimate the force of the ennemies they want to engage.

(mods? already existing mechanics that could be tweaked?)

- SOme sort of flee/retreat mechanics?
Would avoid endless suicidal situations a bit

Not directly linked: do the AI "reclaim" ships ever? Think not.
If augmenting the bailing out %, to work with retreat/threat estimation together, would help avoiding lots of left around ships that the player could take =)

Ty for your attention!

Edit: Merged with Mayhem thread, as per S&M posting rules. X2-Illuminatus

Sirrobert
x3ap

Post by Sirrobert » Sat, 27. May 17, 22:39

You mean salvage? Yes, there are AI salvage ships.
9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm crazy. The 10th is singing the music from Tetris

VincentTH
x4

Re: [Mayhem] AI combat questions

Post by VincentTH » Sun, 28. May 17, 17:30

Mr.YaR wrote:
Questions:

- SOme sort of flee/retreat mechanics?
Would avoid endless suicidal situations a bit

If augmenting the bailing out %, to work with retreat/threat estimation together, would help avoiding lots of left around ships that the player could take =)

Ty for your attention!

Edit: Merged with Mayhem thread, as per S&M posting rules. X2-Illuminatus
MLCC has a Retreat command. Also the MLCC Assist command with Jump Beacon in the player's ship hold, will jump your fleet in wherever the player ship is.

Salvage companies will claim abandoned ships and drops

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Sun, 28. May 17, 20:21

I think he was talking about AI retreats. And implementing a true AI system is really not in my to-do list (because that's eventually what we're talking about here) :)

Mayhem AI is cheaty as hell, because making a coherent system would require a lot of work; and coding with X3 has now become a really unpleasant thing for me (even though it's quite awesome to make a game so moddable).

I don't know if you know something about coding, but when you decide to go into AI, you never know when you'll finish. Two good examples: Prison Architect and RimWorld (5 years in early access for the former). They don't look as good as Far Cry 5 but the systems behind are huge. And that's the kind of thing the X universe would need, IMO. True corporations, true factions, true economic, in a dynamic believable universe.

... and that's not gonna happen.

Sirrobert
x3ap

Post by Sirrobert » Sun, 28. May 17, 21:26

And if it might happen, it's not something a modder can build. That has to come directly from the devs. Perhaps we'll get some improvements there in X4

Mr.YaR
x3ap

Post by Mr.YaR » Mon, 29. May 17, 06:14

Joubarbe wrote:
That's much more than i basicly ment, but the estimation/retreat(for non player owned ships!) would be a part of that. Thank you for the answer.

Just hoped it was possible to make AI vs AI (argon V boron, whatever) less dumb and repetitive.

Confirms my impressions =( It'll always stay as it is.
As someone that never tryed to look into X3 from inside, nor did play it alot - still thought "you never know" when asking.

Another question, maybe it's the wrong place to ask?:
how do i remove colored tails behind engines?

PS: having problems with "Trade run best buy/sell":
When configuring a ship to buy Ecells FullCargo =
the next ship configuration keeps the previous order and this(after trying to remove the Ecells from the cargo) creates problems with cargo space and the command is aborted.
Did i mess up somehow the installation or is it normal?

Mr.Poseidon

Post by Mr.Poseidon » Tue, 30. May 17, 14:42

Hi,

I loaded up X3 for the first time in 10 years and stumbled across this mod, which is absolutely fantastic. The game seems much better than even my nostalgic memories.

I think I've run into a bit of a problem though. The best selling price locator doesn't seem to pick up selling opportunities at equipment docks, and neither do any traders, even NPC ones, and now they are all completely empty. I can still manually sell them things though. Anyone any ideas?

Sirrobert
x3ap

Post by Sirrobert » Tue, 30. May 17, 17:47

People actually use the best price indicators?

Mr.Poseidon

Post by Mr.Poseidon » Tue, 30. May 17, 19:32

The best price locator not working isn't really the problem. It's that no traders recognise selling opportunities that are there, whether UTs or dock agents. That the best best price locator doesn't recognise them either merely seems to highlight perhaps the same problem.

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Wed, 31. May 17, 01:11

Mr.Poseidon wrote:The best price locator not working isn't really the problem. It's that no traders recognise selling opportunities that are there, whether UTs or dock agents. That the best best price locator doesn't recognise them either merely seems to highlight perhaps the same problem.
LU replace Best Buy/Sell with "Trade Product Search".
(Shift-C, Trade, Trade Product Search).

You will need Trade-1,2, TradeXtension, Best Buy/Best Sell - on the ship you are flying!!!!

Mr.YaR
x3ap

Post by Mr.YaR » Wed, 31. May 17, 12:43

Some trivial questions:

- can one change the player faction name? (ingame menu?)

- can tails behind engines be removed in peace (spoils SETA usage)

- prefer terran ships - No problem building them
BUT if prefer terran "tech" and stations - How to get blueprints/switch technology to use them?

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Wed, 31. May 17, 18:24

Mr.YaR wrote:Some trivial questions:

- can one change the player faction name? (ingame menu?)
Your faction takes its name from the player's pilot name, so yes. Default hotkey is p, then m.
Mr.YaR wrote:- can tails behind engines be removed in peace (spoils SETA usage)
Not without modding the game files. Given that there are 412 ships in the game and you have to do it for every single one of them, all I can say is good luck.

Also, since it's a vanilla problem it won't go away if you remove the engine trails, it will just be less visible. The game will still "stutter" from time to time when you use SETA.
Mr.YaR wrote:- prefer terran ships - No problem building them
BUT if prefer terran "tech" and stations - How to get blueprints/switch technology to use them?
You can't. Unless you want to rewrite the mod yourself, that is. Also, Terran stations come with their own set of problems, as the collision box is so humongous that it will take forever for your ships to dock, and might also cause them to fly around aimlessly because they can't get just the right angle to be able to dock.

Edit: This only applies when you're in sector, so if you're ok with not visiting your sectors then it's probably gonna work just fine. :p
Last edited by Zaitsev on Thu, 1. Jun 17, 03:35, edited 1 time in total.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D

DiDs:
Eye of the storm Completed
Eye of the storm - book 2 Inactive
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Wed, 31. May 17, 21:14

Terran stations are evil.

Mr.YaR
x3ap

Post by Mr.YaR » Thu, 1. Jun 17, 12:25

Thank you for answering.

After some searching i saw that the tail/trail question was quite common.

I don't understand why it's such a must have?? to me it's like cockpits - trails look a bit old and when longer than those of slowest ships you can see what's it's made of = a bit spoiling immersion. They at least should get an update of their visuals.
Sad that everyone has to play with it.

Not without modding the game files. Given that there are 412 ships in the game and you have to do it for every single one of them, all I can say is good luck.

Also, since it's a vanilla problem it won't go away if you remove the engine trails, it will just be less visible. The game will still "stutter" from time to time when you use SETA.
About editing 412 ships - once a balance didn't suit me - i edited 386 units(all params) twice in rise of nations(39-45GW mod).

Was about to post a submod, but it went bad at some point (when decided to do a new tech system) and never finished it. Too much dirty excel for me.

So it isn't the problem. I went into a Tship file, something went wrong, got some errors in the editor.
No idea which Tship is the last or even if editing Tship is what should be done and droped until i have the motivation to come back.

Terran stations are evil.
That's horrible.
Your faction takes its name from the player's pilot name, so yes. Default hotkey is p, then m.
Changed the name from game start, no problem =)
Still see sohnen in war ministry thing... As i understand - you can't do anything about that and it doesn't play any role as you don't see it everywhere 24/7

EDIT: tryed to export my empire to see some changes's effect. But seems not to work - no message ingame that it works, no "log" file in /t and a discovered in argon prime at import start.

What the file name it's supposed to generate exactly?
No idea of what could go wrong...

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Thu, 1. Jun 17, 15:37

Mayhem E/I is independent, you need to download it (first page). The generated file name is addon\t\8424-L044.xml.

The name of your faction internally is indeed Sohnen. You cannot change that. The only thing that you can do is to change your player name, which has only an effect on the map, on the sectors you own.

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Thu, 1. Jun 17, 16:24

I should play this when I get home.

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Thu, 1. Jun 17, 17:47

Me too :)

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”