X4 - ten questions for developers

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Thu, 4. May 17, 23:46

I'm quite pleased with what I heard in this thread so far.

Crossing my fingers that the devs can pull this off and make X a series I want to invest in again.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Axeface
x4

Re: X4 - ten questions for developers

Post by Axeface » Fri, 5. May 17, 23:02

mr.WHO wrote: Hmm. In XR We have full Argon and Teladi set as well as partial Terran and Split sets.

This means only Paranid and Boron are on the table (As much as I'd love to see Solar System and normal Terrans again).

Between these two Boron are much more technically demanding due to their diffren physiology that would make Boron station interiors and NPCs more complex. Unless Boron station interiors would only include non-aquatic species sections and Boron NPC in non-boron station would be in some kind of "walking dry-suit".

Therefore I think Paranid is more safe option and maybe Borons as DLC.
I dont agree that Boron are more technically demanding, the lore states they use gravity suits to float around, meaning they could actually be less demanding in regards to animation. Like you said, their ships and stations could have areas designed for non-aquatic aliens to visit, which would mean that they would be the same amount of work as adding any other species.
I've long complained about the lack of Boron, I think their ships and even their politics are an integral part of X, and they are my favourite race. Their ships also (imo) are the most beautiful and interesting and add a lot of flavour.
I'm really sad to see that we are only getting one more race, because while I completely disagree I would also assume that if given the choice between those 2, ego are going to go with Paranid. I love the Paranid too, really wish we could get them all :(

[ external image ]

CommanderTM
xr

Post by CommanderTM » Sat, 6. May 17, 14:56

Is there any text that i can read that explains whole x universe and races withhout reading books or long texts? I would just like to get few paragraphs to explain everything in a simple way. Video would be nice too...

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 6. May 17, 15:17

Question: Will the release of X4 be prior to the release of Star Citizen beta?

My guess is yes.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 6. May 17, 15:18

CommanderTM wrote:Is there any text that i can read that explains whole x universe and races withhout reading books or long texts? I would just like to get few paragraphs to explain everything in a simple way. Video would be nice too...
You know, recommending texts, which you don’t have to read, is always somewhat difficult. :P "Section B: Historical Events" of the X-Encyclopedia provides a short (30 pages) overview of the history of the X-Universe.

The X3 Terran Conflict intro is worth a look too.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 6. May 17, 16:55

Falcrack wrote:Question: Will the release of X4 be prior to the release of Star Citizen beta?

My guess is yes.
Well, considering the amount of things that are not yet ready (e.g they mentined that they can't show any screenshots yet because models are wip) I'd say we are at least 2 years till X4 release.

This means that it might be that Star Citizen single player module will be released by then.

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Mon, 8. May 17, 22:59

I liked the answers we got here. Keep asking people! :lol:

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Tue, 9. May 17, 10:49

I've only really one question this time around for X4, but it is a big one (arguably controversial) left intentionally vague so its easier for ES to answer....

Q: Will Egosoft incorporate and act on a robust plan for User Experience testing i.e. the testing and scoring of gameplay elements and features for quality, being fun, engaging and entertaining as opposed to functionally working?

Nick 031287
x3tc

Post by Nick 031287 » Tue, 9. May 17, 15:47

i was really hoping they would get rid of those silly highways!!!!! the ones between zones anyway.... why not just feature a full blown solar system we get to cruise around in???

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Tue, 9. May 17, 15:58

@BigBANGtheory has made a very important question
Nick 031287 wrote:i was really hoping they would get rid of those silly highways!!!!! the ones between zones anyway.... why not just feature a full blown solar system we get to cruise around in???
highways are not a "bad idea", specially if they save you travel time from one landmark to another, convoluted ones, fake traffic and similar can ruin their experience though.

They have said they are making straight highways, and from that I get they are trying to make them practical, which is a very good thing, it's either that or warp/cap boost, but we need a method for faster space travel in a straight line.

Nick 031287
x3tc

Post by Nick 031287 » Tue, 9. May 17, 16:50

ezra-r wrote:@BigBANGtheory has made a very important question
Nick 031287 wrote:i was really hoping they would get rid of those silly highways!!!!! the ones between zones anyway.... why not just feature a full blown solar system we get to cruise around in???
highways are not a "bad idea", specially if they save you travel time from one landmark to another, convoluted ones, fake traffic and similar can ruin their experience though.

They have said they are making straight highways, and from that I get they are trying to make them practical, which is a very good thing, it's either that or warp/cap boost, but we need a method for faster space travel in a straight line.
well as i said the super highways are fine.... but the zone ones are terrible. and unnecessary they get in the way of alot of things. it would have been better they just come up with a interplanetary drive instead, and have a entire solar system to explore.... rather then having factorys all clumped up in 1 place which is stupid....

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Wed, 10. May 17, 20:29

I'd like to know if building factories will be favoured to do from the ground up, and not like in Rebirth, in which you must start with the most complex factories to earn before the moxt complex ingredients run out of the economy because they pre-exist, not being generated like in a real economy (very slow and take ages, so very inefficiently)

As in.. a wheat complex would require manually mined minerals and simpler ingredients to build + factory robots/drones, whereas more complex product like missile would require minerals, products manufactured with minerals, chips, etc.. + factory robots, etc.

This is, encourage players to build the simpler factories first being *less dependable* on very complex, more expensive products like it happens in Rebirth now.
Last edited by ezra-r on Fri, 12. May 17, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Wed, 10. May 17, 22:50

Nick 031287 wrote:
ezra-r wrote:@BigBANGtheory has made a very important question

well as i said the super highways are fine.... but the zone ones are terrible. and unnecessary they get in the way of alot of things. it would have been better they just come up with a interplanetary drive instead, and have a entire solar system to explore.... rather then having factorys all clumped up in 1 place which is stupid....

Immersion wise they make allot of sense for smaller ships that can't fit jumpdrives to get around to work.
They give the indication of a civilization that has established itself in that region of space.
Core systems should have them, Border Systems however should not.

What I'd like to see is the ability to build your own highway system in a region of space you claim as your own (Or choose not to).

Highways are a Marmite feature some love them, overs hate them.. I think we can cater to both sides by giving equal representation for both with the Core/Border narrative; satisfy both sides.

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Sat, 13. May 17, 18:16

The thing with highways was that were supposed to be a quicker way of navigating between sectors (and within sectors) than the old warp gates.

Trouble, is, the warp gates made a lot more sense, were easier to work with and didn't get in your way.

So we might as well just bring them back and have done with it. Within a sector, the cruise drive should make an appearance instead - turn on cruise, wait for shields and weapons to go to 0, and then off you go in a big straight line. not much different to highways, except you won't have to slowly navigate to enter one.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Sun, 14. May 17, 21:53

gbjbaanb wrote:The thing with highways was that were supposed to be a quicker way of navigating between sectors (and within sectors) than the old warp gates.

Trouble, is, the warp gates made a lot more sense, were easier to work with and didn't get in your way.

So we might as well just bring them back and have done with it. Within a sector, the cruise drive should make an appearance instead - turn on cruise, wait for shields and weapons to go to 0, and then off you go in a big straight line. not much different to highways, except you won't have to slowly navigate to enter one.

Smaller ships that don't have boosters that need those highways to get from A to B. People that live in civilization, with jobs and lives etc.

Border Systems should be more like the Wild West with little to no Highways except Super Highways.

Personally highways would be great if you could build them yourself and even destroy them to cut off supply routes in war zones.
Just as you have placeholders for Stations you have them for highways and Super Highways.

Len5

Post by Len5 » Tue, 16. May 17, 15:38

Sounds very promising.

Will our own solar system be back again?

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Wed, 17. May 17, 09:31

I have a kind of vague question which I'd be surprised if it hadn't been asked before but since I reside nearly entirely in off-topic, I'll ask it anyway:
What lessons were learned from Rebirth? How is the approach in design different?
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Wed, 17. May 17, 11:25

Will X4 have a good integration of HOTAS??
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

The Cheshire Cat

Post by The Cheshire Cat » Wed, 17. May 17, 13:01

ezra-r wrote:I'd like to know if building factories will be favoured to do from the ground up, and not like in Rebirth, in which you must start with the most complex factories to earn before the moxt complex ingredients run out of the economy because they pre-exist, not being generated like in a real economy (very slow and take ages, so very inefficiently)

As in.. a wheat complex would require manually mined minerals and simpler ingredients to build + factory robots/drones, whereas more complex product like missile would require minerals, products manufactured with minerals, chips, etc.. + factory robots, etc.

This is, encourage players to build the simpler factories first being *less dependable* on very complex, more expensive products like it happens in Rebirth now.
Yeah, the whole "Fusion reactors are needed for everything" aspect of Rebirth makes it a pain to build stations, because it means that expansion depends entirely on Ship Tech Fabs, which means that it makes the most sense to build those first, despite them actually being high tier stations, because otherwise you're going to be sitting around waiting forever for the NPC stations to produce them (not to mention you're competing with the many other NPC stations that want them, since they're also used at shipyards).

I think what might make more sense is if the initial stages of stations required less complex wares to build, and then as the station gets bigger, the complexity of the requirements go up. So you can bootstrap a working economy out of very basic mined materials and energy cells, but upgrading those stations to max will require the full "tech tree" of production.

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Wed, 17. May 17, 13:08

The Cheshire Cat wrote:
ezra-r wrote:I'd like to know if building factories will be favoured to do from the ground up, and not like in Rebirth, in which you must start with the most complex factories to earn before the moxt complex ingredients run out of the economy because they pre-exist, not being generated like in a real economy (very slow and take ages, so very inefficiently)

Yeah, the whole "Fusion reactors are needed for everything" aspect of Rebirth makes it a pain to build stations, because it means that expansion depends entirely on Ship Tech Fabs, which means that it makes the most sense to build those first, despite them actually being high tier stations, because otherwise you're going to be sitting around waiting forever for the NPC stations to produce them (not to mention you're competing with the many other NPC stations that want them, since they're also used at shipyards).

I think what might make more sense is if the initial stages of stations required less complex wares to build, and then as the station gets bigger, the complexity of the requirements go up. So you can bootstrap a working economy out of very basic mined materials and energy cells, but upgrading those stations to max will require the full "tech tree" of production.
Exactly my thoughts. Depending on high-tech products to build every single small factory is a BIG PAIN. A farm or water production plant should not need such high-tech products. One should be able to build this with time and self-effort rather than buying lots of high tech products. Complexity should rise when you start building more complex fabs, but this should always depend on pre-existing lower level fabs. Medium high-level fab should never depend on higher-level fab to be built, unless specific exotic stuff (out of reach for many).

Examples of the exceptions could be a paranid jewelry or very complex exotic/high-tech items. A factory for this, which sells expensive jewels should need high tech stuff to produce them. But a wheat plant, spacefuel, etc.. should be able to be manufactured with the sweat of farmers and other raw products which can be optained without having to buy them if one just wants to use their sweat only. Get my meaning? You can buy, but you can produce them with your efford if you can't afford to "pay".

It would be ideal if "small", starting players can soon start building their own "small" factories with their "own" effort, instead of just earning tones of money to aim for the top, because thats about the only place where money lies (in Rebirth).

Big factories probably would need to buy tones on smaller ingredients to manufacture complex stuff, so building such small factories first pays off.

Hope someone at @Egosoft tell us something about what they have thought for this for the TNBT.

Return to “X4: Foundations”