EnglishGermanFrenchRussianPolishItalianSpanish

Question: Steam Controller & Steam Link
View previous topic :: View next topic
Morkonan

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Wed, 19. Apr 17, 04:29    Post subject: Question: Steam Controller & Steam Link Reply with quote Print

I don't play many games anymore. That's good... and not so good, since I enjoy a good game.

I have consoles, but they focus a lot on games I wouldn't, necessarily, enjoy playing by myself. Plus, they price-gouge the heck out of their market and I hate supporting that degree of greed.

But, I find I do like the comfort of couch-gaming and the handy use of a controller, where appropriate. So..

Anyone have any comments regarding the Steam Controller and Steam Link for gaming on their TV? (I see the Link also supports keyboard/mouse, so that's a bonus, I guess.)

They're pretty cheap, for what they do, but I've seen mixed reviews and it appears that some games just plain don't like working with them at all.

pjknibbs

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Wed, 19. Apr 17, 08:50    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I've used Steam Link a bit, but my experience wasn't the best because I was running it over a wireless network and on my very old laptop. I found things like Fallout 4 playable enough, but anything that required real twitch reflexes didn't work so well--fortunately I don't play games like that as a general rule!

Don't have a Steam controller, never tried it.

Jericho

modified
PostPosted: Wed, 19. Apr 17, 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Steam Controller:
I have no issues with the controller for racing games.
But I couldn't use it for 3rd person or 1st person games.

BUT, I'm terrible with a PS4/Xbox controller too, for 3rd/1st person games.

Sorry, that wasn't much help was it?

Everyone I've spoken to has said that the Steam controller is better at 1st/3rd person style games than a 'regular' controller.

I just hate controllers as it always takes me out of the immersion unless it's a driving game.

Last edited by Jericho on Thu, 20. Apr 17, 15:20; edited 1 time in total
Rapier

MEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Wed, 19. Apr 17, 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I purchased a controller and link around 'Black Friday' last year. The link was largely unplayable over my standard wireless (which I kind of expected) but worked okay once I upgraded my PC to actually use both bands on my router. As Paul says, you do need a wired connection if really fast reactions are required for a game, but I've completed the Tomb Raider reboot okay. It's absolutely fine for slower stuff (I've played through Monkey Island and Sam and Max adventures quite happily from my sofa).

The controller is good, but what let's it down is over-complication. It's hugely configurable and only the latest games (and not all of those) have proper configurations. This can be a real pain on other games - Rebirth, for example, almost feels like you need one configuration for flight and another for stations; menu navigation takes some learning (I assume, I've not given it the time). I've heard others say the configurability of the controller is a real plus point, and I can see that it could be if you want to spend time working up the configuration that's perfect for you. There are typically community ones for each game, as well as generic setups which you can try out too.

It's one of those purchases where you need to think a little carefully about what you will do with it, not just what it can do. If you have a decent use case, and the price still seems reasonable once you've factored in any upgrade to your home network, then you should be okay.

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google
Morkonan

PostPosted: Fri, 21. Apr 17, 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Thanks for the replies and info, all!

I think this sums up the general opinion:

Rapier wrote:
...It's one of those purchases where you need to think a little carefully about what you will do with it, not just what it can do. If you have a decent use case, and the price still seems reasonable once you've factored in any upgrade to your home network, then you should be okay.

I'm going to take a closer look at it, of course. The fact that, if necessary, I can hook up a keyboard/mouse to it is certainly a plus if the controller isn't suitable.

I'd like to try out such a combo for 4x games and the like, plus games that have lots of great community mods, since most console games won't support such things.

Stars_InTheirEyes

PostPosted: Fri, 21. Apr 17, 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I bought a Steam controller. I wish I didn't. It's gimmicky and just doesn't compete with others. The older Xbox 360 controller feels flat out better to use but I haven't used either since connecting the PS4's Dualshock 4 to my PC.

There's a reason why more PC game developers are natively supporting the Dualshock 4 now (some games still need 3rd party utility to run it). Witcher 3, Rocket League, Final Fantasy XIV immediately comes to mind.

http://www.techradar.com/how-to/gaming/how-to-use-the-ps4-dualshock-4-controller-on-a-pc-1309014
Edit: I should note, you don't need the official bluetooth adaptor for it, cheaper generic bluetooth adaptors will work also though it will most likely have the most stable connection and of course you could just get a long USB instead.

i5 4690K @4.2GHz, 2x Sapphire R9 290X CrossfireX, 512GB Crucial SSD, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM
Morkonan

PostPosted: Fri, 21. Apr 17, 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Sweet! I prefer the PS4 controller, too, so I'll certainly take a look at that.

I don't normally use a controller for PC games, preferring the response and accuracy of mouse+keyboard combos. But, some games would "feel" a little better with a console controller.