International spam phone numbers

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 15. Apr 17, 18:15

Dantrithor wrote:
Morkonan wrote:Just a tip(s):

The best thing to do is not to answer. If you answer, it's one way that they know it's a good number.
That's not always accurate. If it is a legit commercial call, even if undesired, a better approach would be to reply and say the person they have asked for is deceased....
True. But, it doesn't work for spammers/scammers/robocallers. I get calls for deceased people every week. With the "live" scammers, mostly with Indian accents, I tell them the person they're calling for is deceased and the same scam organization will still call again the next week.

For legit call-centers, it's true that telling them the person is deceased will likely make them scrub the number. But, often these guys are doing contract work and they're contractually obligated to call those numbers, since their source was the contracting customer in the case of an existing customer-contact info. So, they may not want to scrub that number, depending upon their performance requirements and the customer they're contracted to.

It's all about whatever it is they've been contracted to do and to report as well as any procedures they've agreed to, I suppose.

But... "Microsoft" keeps calling me, telling me a dead person's computer has a "virus" no matter how many times I tell them the person is dead. :) (One of my numbers belonged to a dead person.)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 15. Apr 17, 19:01

I got a scam call the other day, with some Indian lady telling me she wanted to help me fix a problem with my PC. After stringing her along for a couple of minutes, I told her I worked in the IT industry and knew she was talking rubbish. I nearly dropped my tea laughing when she called me a liar and hung up on me.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 15. Apr 17, 21:37

Frankly, I got sick of these things a long time ago, so nowadays (assuming the call actually gets as far as being answered) the response if I'm feeling polite will be just "Not interested, thanks" and put the phone down. If I'm not in that good a mood, the entire response will consist of two words, the second of which is "off", again followed by putting the phone down.

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Wed, 19. Apr 17, 19:34

weirdly since I posted this it seems to have stopped oO
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

Return to “Off Topic English”