EnglishGermanFrenchRussianPolishItalianSpanish

3d Models - .stl?
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hazara

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Sun, 17. Jan 16, 23:12    Post subject: 3d Models - .stl? Reply with quote Print

Hi all, I have been trying to get some .stl files so I can make some physical models, but are having difficulty - not sure if thats on purpose or not!
Have loaded the most excellent "X Models 3d Viewer" which nicely displays the ships, but I cant see any way to save them out.

Now I'm Laughing...Maniacally.

DAMN IT, I PUSHED YOU OUT THAT AIRLOCK 30 YEARS AGO.. WHY ARE YOU HAUNTING ME SUZIE!
X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Mon, 18. Jan 16, 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Well, as the name suggests the X-Models Viewer is a program to view model files, not to extract them. Tools and Tutorials for extracting model files can be found in the Scripts and Modding Forums.

Farnhams Legende und Nopileos als E-Books!

"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." - Isaac Asimov

"If it's not impossible, there must be a way to do it." - Sir Nicholas Winton
Morkonan

PostPosted: Sun, 16. Apr 17, 05:39    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Just a note:

For its time and the number of ships that can be on-screen at any one moment, the ships are very well done, with more verts than many other games have had in their ships.

But, for 3D printing, one shouldn't expect too much, since they're still low poly "game" objects.

Using those objects as a base for one's own 3D printed model, though, might be something one could do.

Aaaaand... here it comes:

Every model is copyrighted by Egosoft and, perhaps, there are some trademarks running around, too. What that means is simple: If you want to 3D print these models, you need permission from Egosoft.

For a "personal use", one might find reasonable permission in statements that allow modders to change/manipulate the in-game models. HOWEVER, 3d printing is relatively new and most games, especially older ones, don't generally speak to that in their EULA/TOS. This leaves the subject a bit questionable, legally. I don't think the fine folks at Egosoft would mind at all if you printed out some ship models, especially if you posted pics of your work. Egosoft loves its fans. But, I'm not a spokesman for Egosoft.

In any event, just to be sure everything is covered, as it stands right now, IIRC from what I remember reading of the EULA/TOS, in no way could you distribute or sell your derivative 3D printed objects. That's a pretty cut-and-dried legal issue that doesn't need any specific extra copyright/trademark protection outside of the standard clauses.