need help with oos combat in X3ap

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Alexeiy
x3ap

need help with oos combat in X3ap

Post by Alexeiy » Tue, 4. Apr 17, 11:53

Hello everyone,

I'm about to start buying and equiping ships for the xenon entrance defense, before upping my fighter rank further (currently rank 18 and having the occasional trader loss).

Since the alphadamage got reduced in ap compared to tc, are other shipclasses than the m2's with 12+gj shielding worthwhile to use, for aesthetic, rp or cost effectiv reasons?

I'm currently thinking about 3 ways I want to secure the universe.

1. Deimoses equipped with psg's, I like the paranid shipdesigns, and I read that the psg and pbg are very good in oos. (Is there a weapons list somewhere, where you can read up oos effectivness of the different weapons?)

2. A couple supplied Hades that sit at the other end of the sektor (possible defended by some fighters), which just instagib everything that comes out of the gate? (Or would I have to give attack commands manually, since oos combat is only in a 4km range?)

3. An m1/M7c filled with missile supplied fighters (probably falcons)? That work similar to the hadesidea, just with some added weapondamage/shields? The m1/m7c would be parked away from the gate and just launch the fighters to deal with the incomming problem.

jlehtone
x4

Re: need help with oos combat in X3ap

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 4. Apr 17, 17:53

First a disclaimer: I don't defend. My focus is entirely on (personal) attacks. Yes, my ships can and will end up in harm's way occasionally (particularly when I'm in sector), but credits are cheap and ships expendable.
Alexeiy wrote:I read that the psg and pbg are very good in oos.
I was under the impression that such sentence should contain word: not.

Both PSG and PBG are are effect weapons. Their damage/hit is low but their "cloud" does multiple "hits" in sector. Only one hit OOS.

In a table like http://roguey.co.uk/x3ap/lasers/
there are both "damage per shot" and "damage per second".

AFAIK, in the OOS combat resolution only the "damage per shot" is used. The PSG and PBG are thus weak OOS. Imagine a shotgun that fires just one pellet OOS, but dozens in sector.

The "damage per second" is an in sector property, which assumes that every shot hits and the ship has sufficient energy for continuous firing. Some other site has "energy per shot" or "energy per second" listed for the guns too. You can calculate or experiment how much you can shoot before your damage per second is dictated by the laser energy recharge rate of your ship (and efficiency of the gun type).
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 4. Apr 17, 20:31

jlehtone wrote:
I was under the impression that such sentence should contain word: not....
I concur. :)
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Wed, 5. Apr 17, 00:17

I've never done this style of combat, but some thoughts occur:
  • Equip your Paranid heavies with PSG/PBG as appropriate & station them in front, far apart from each other (to avoid blue-on-blue hits) as blockaders

Equip your M7Ms with as many Flails as possible to shoot down the gnats, entering sector behind your blockaders. Remember to have ammo auto-restock CLS enabled for these ships

Enter sector yourself once the first 2 stages are (near to) complete, to enjoy much much (temporary) FPS loss as your capship guns suddenly have the firepower to wipe out the sector :)

Your M2 missile carrying fighters are a nice idea, but I suspect they'd be lost to attrition quite soon, as well as causing problems for your capships (& lowering FPS). You could use these instead of M7Ms I guess, but I suspect the attrition rate would still be quite high; OK if you're up to losing a load of valuable fighters in the nature of the experiment tho..

Once the initial firestorm is over you can advance ships as necessary to attack the base, if the Flails haven't wiped it out already
Expect losses of your Paranid heavies once they enter sector to establish their bridgehead (ie before you enter the sector yourself), & take these into account!
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Wed, 5. Apr 17, 01:18

OOS combat:
1. Round based, point blank.
2. Fastest ship attacks first.
3. Each round every weapon is shot once.
4. A full box of ammo per shot.

Following that basic rule.... all your ideas were "bad".

Terran ships in AP are undisputed OOS gods. You can hate PSP all day long but it has highest per shot damage bar nothing. While we are at it they also have highest shields compared to almost everything.

Anything ammo based is generally not a good idea for OOS.
jlehtone wrote:First a disclaimer: I don't defend. My focus is entirely on (personal) attacks. Yes, my ships can and will end up in harm's way occasionally (particularly when I'm in sector), but credits are cheap and ships expendable.
I was under the impression that such sentence should contain word: not.

Both PSG and PBG are are effect weapons. Their damage/hit is low but their "cloud" does multiple "hits" in sector. Only one hit OOS.

In a table like http://roguey.co.uk/x3ap/lasers/
there are both "damage per shot" and "damage per second".

AFAIK, in the OOS combat resolution only the "damage per shot" is used. The PSG and PBG are thus weak OOS. Imagine a shotgun that fires just one pellet OOS, but dozens in sector.

The "damage per second" is an in sector property, which assumes that every shot hits and the ship has sufficient energy for continuous firing. Some other site has "energy per shot" or "energy per second" listed for the guns too. You can calculate or experiment how much you can shoot before your damage per second is dictated by the laser energy recharge rate of your ship (and efficiency of the gun type).
No such thing as energy OOS either, just like there is no collision.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

Pizzalicious

Post by Pizzalicious » Mon, 9. Mar 20, 14:03

hey im new to the X3ap but what does OOS mean?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 9. Mar 20, 14:34

Another necro of yours! :sceptic: OOS = Player Out of Sector where activity happens. IS = Player In Sector where activity happens.

There is an abbreviation/acronym FAQ too.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”