Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Re: NEWS: X Rebirth VR Edition, Updates and X4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 12. Mar 17, 09:51

Bernd wrote:
  • We have Update 4.10 of X Rebirth almost ready
That was mid December 2016.
Now we have mid March 2017 and the 4.10 is still at RC1 for over two weeks.

At that pace we can expect XR VR around 2019 and X4 around 2025.

Soon TM my ass.

YOYOMAN_MODDER
x4

Post by YOYOMAN_MODDER » Sun, 12. Mar 17, 12:30

mr.WHO wrote: At that pace we can expect XR VR around 2019 and X4 around 2025.

Soon TM my ass.
around 2225 :lol:

carran
x4

Post by carran » Mon, 13. Mar 17, 14:14

Soon(tm) is a euphemism :)

Back in the day, on the old THQ forums and ever since, we know TNBT (The Next Big Thing) would appear, we had no real idea of when, seems to be ES way of building anticipation

From memory I recall most releases were November time? with several patches over the next few weeks - I'm sure someone will be along to correct me soon...

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 13. Mar 17, 14:59

mr.WHO wrote:4.10 is still at RC1 for over two weeks.
You complain when games have bugs in them, and you complain when developers make the most of an opportunity for a longer testing period when they can. You can't have it both ways. :roll:

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Mon, 13. Mar 17, 16:14

CBJ wrote:
You complain when games have bugs in them, and you complain when developers make the most of an opportunity for a longer testing period when they can. You can't have it both ways. :roll:
Also 4.10 is currently in public testing, so if he really wants it he can get it in the current State.
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 13. Mar 17, 18:38

CBJ wrote:
Well I do prefer to wait longer if this means less bugs. However I complain that 4.10 testing takes very long - this is minor update, not the 4.0 + HoL DLC.

However if the issue is not enough public testes then I can't really blame Egosoft for this.

Still, the release dates for XR VR and X4 I posted as joke, looks realistic the longer I think about them :(

Psirus
xr

Post by Psirus » Mon, 13. Mar 17, 19:11

Do you mean that making it faster and better requires more of your resources? Does this mean that the "better, cheaper, faster" argument for technology is a lie?!? Alas, poor Yorick 'twas a fine fellow.
CBJ wrote:
Plays on the Monolith from 2001
X3 Mogul, EXTREME
TC Mogul, Legend
AP Master Industrialist, Battlemaster
XR WTF, WTF

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 14. Mar 17, 14:46

That RC1 has had 2 or 3 Hotfixes issued now, so you could think of it as RC3 or RC4 if you really wanted to.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Dupin

Post by Dupin » Tue, 14. Mar 17, 16:03

I have a feeling that developers are preparing something even cooler than Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous! :P So I don't advise anyone to disturb them! Egosoft is very busy now! I'm not kidding, you'll see...

blazin419

Post by blazin419 » Wed, 15. Mar 17, 01:34

Dupin wrote:I have a feeling that developers are preparing something even cooler than Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous! :P So I don't advise anyone to disturb them! Egosoft is very busy now! I'm not kidding, you'll see...
You can't compare the X series with Elite Dangerous or Star Citizen. They're very different games.

Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous focus on role playing and using a single ship to accomplish tasks. The X series is single-player focused and allows you to manage an entire empire and fleets of ships, building space stations and creating your own economy.

This is partially the reason why X Rebirth was so negatively received by the fans. Nobody asked for the ability to walk around in space stations and ships (especially when most of the environments were going to be cookie-cutter interiors anyways), and the fans certainly didn't want a role playing experience forced upon using a single ship. People like controlling big carriers, launching fighters, managing huge fleets, and building space stations. That's the core gameplay of what X series is all about and I will be happy if X4 is basically X3 with better interfaces and graphics.

Dupin

Post by Dupin » Wed, 15. Mar 17, 02:53

blazin419 wrote: You can't compare the X series with Elite Dangerous or Star Citizen. They're very different games.
All the games are different, so what? But Elite Dangerous, SC and X are Elite-like games, spacesims and sandboxes. I'm a fan of the X-series and I believe that the series has needed changes long time ago. And personally I am pleased with the changes that have occurred. But of course I would like it to be done at a higher level of quality.
blazin419 wrote: This is partially the reason why X Rebirth was so negatively received by the fans.
No, it is not. Speak for yourself! I think that the real reason is that all features were performed not at the level that should be and bugs.
blazin419 wrote: Nobody asked for the ability to walk around in space stations and ships (especially when most of the environments were going to be cookie-cutter interiors anyways), and the fans certainly didn't want a role playing experience forced upon using a single ship.
Nobody or just you? Again, speak for yourself, please. Personally, I always wanted this. And it is not "a role playing experience", these are just the features that a space simulator needs in current gen.
blazin419 wrote:That's the core gameplay of what X series is all about

To be honest, core gameplay is freedom, which will not be if the game turns into a 4X-strategy. Empire manage mechanics were added to the games little by little. I advise you to play in the earlier games of the series (X Beyond the Frontier, X Tension, X2 The Threat).
blazin419 wrote:I will be happy if X4 is basically X3 with better interfaces and graphics.

Realy? So play to X3, who is in the way? :lol:

blazin419

Post by blazin419 » Wed, 15. Mar 17, 04:56

Dupin wrote: All the games are different, so what? But Elite Dangerous, SC and X are Elite-like games, spacesims and sandboxes. I'm a fan of the X-series and I believe that the series has needed changes long time ago. And personally I am pleased with the changes that have occurred. But of course I would like it to be done at a higher level of quality.

What do you mean so what? You're comparing apples to oranges, that's what. If you're a fan of the X-series and you're pleased with the "changes" with X Rebirth then I can hardly imagine you a fan of the X series. You're telling me to go play the earlier titles of X (which I have) and the X series' strong points have always been about the 4X aspects. Even in the earliest X game, X-BTF the player worked towards buying factories. Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous both have their strong points, which is a more personalised gameplay like a traditional role playing game. In contrast, people have always played the X series for the empire building gameplay that no other game offered (until EVE Online came along, but even then you can't manage multiple ships in EVE). If people wanted a personalised experience like in Elite or Star Citizen they would just go and play those games, because frankly, every aspect of that gameplay like combat, flight-model, etc. are done much better in those games.
Dupin wrote: No, it is not. Speak for yourself! I think that the real reason is that all features were performed not at the level that should be and bugs.

No, it's not, speak for yourself! The overwhelming criticisms about the game in X-Rebirth, even after many of the bugs were patched post-release, was that it was a step back from X3 gameplay-wise. Egosoft admits this and even from reading the original post of this thread, "While I cannot say much about its features yet, what I can tell you about it so far is that it will allow you to fly many different ships, it will give you an all-new interface to manage large fleets, and it will give you full freedom when building stations from individual modules.", the developers themselves know the strong points of the X series and wish to bring that back in X4.
Dupin wrote: Nobody or just you? Again, speak for yourself, please. Personally, I always wanted this. And it is not "a role playing experience", these are just the features that a space simulator needs in current gen.

Nobody as in the overwhelming majority of fans. The scale of the X series' gameplay has always been about the bigger picture, with the ability to manage extremely large ships, build space stations, and create an empire. You cannot achieve the level of quality of interiors that a game like Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous has when ships are literally a kilometer in length, and it's a complete waste of resources and time. All the interiors in X Rebirth are basically copy and pastes, it's a waste of time for the player to go into these stations to trade, and it's a waste of time for the developers to create such cookie-cutter interiors to begin with. They add absolutely no meaningful gameplay to the game. If you want to go explore interiors go play Star Citizen.
Dupin wrote: To be honest, core gameplay is freedom, which will not be if the game turns into a 4X-strategy. Empire manage mechanics were added to the games little by little. I advise you to play in the earlier games of the series (X Beyond the Frontier, X Tension, X2 The Threat).
Are you joking? You're telling me to play the earlier games but you sound like you've never even played those games. Judging by your registration date and your label of calling the gameplay elements that literally created the X brand, "4X-strategy", you've probably never even played X3 to a meaningful level.
Dupin wrote: Realy? So play to X3, who is in the way? :lol:
The hypocrisy here. I'm here arguing for preserving the core gameplay of the X brand, while you're here arguing for trying to change the X series into Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous. So why don't you go play those games? I'm saying this as a Golden Ticket Holder and concierge backer for Star Citizen. The X series has a completely different experience compared to Star Citizen, if I want to play Star Citizen I'll play Star Citizen. Thankfully, as I quoted from the original thread post above, Egosoft isn't going to listen to you and knows what pulls people to the X brand and will focus on improving those elements for X4 rather than creating gimmicks and changing the formula.

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Wed, 15. Mar 17, 09:59

Dupin wrote:these are just the features that a space simulator needs in current gen.
Huh? There's no particular reason you "need" to add an activity to a game, least of all because it's trendy. The time you spend walking on stations could have been spent on any of the game's other activities on offer. It has to pull its weight, and the frustration is that it doesn't really pull its weight in XR.

Even if it did, though, I would be a bit turned off anyway, because walking on stations isn't to my taste in these games. I prefer to play X as a pure space sim. It's fine that you like to have it, but it's your assertion that new space sims "need" it that irks me.

Dupin

Post by Dupin » Wed, 15. Mar 17, 15:38

blazin419 wrote:What do you mean so what?
I mean, there's nothing to stop me from comparing certain aspects of the game. For example, the graphics or the power of immersion. Nevertheless, I did not compare anything, just giving a little faith and fun. But someone came and said that I did it... What is it called, eh?

blazin419 wrote:Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous both have their strong points, which is a more personalised gameplay like a traditional role playing game.
Exactly, that's what I'm talking about. This does not mean that I'm comparing something or I want one game to turn into another. All these strong points are what the late games of the X-series lack. That's all.

blazin419 wrote:In contrast, people have always played...

All I can say is "You know nothing, John Snow".

blazin419 wrote:If people wanted a personalised experience like in Elite or Star Citizen they would just go and play those games, because frankly, every aspect of that gameplay like combat, flight-model, etc. are done much better in those games.
Unfortunately for Egosoft, many have done so.

blazin419 wrote:...the developers themselves know the strong points of the X series...
Fortunately for Ego, they also know weak points.

blazin419 wrote:The scale of the X series' gameplay has always been about the bigger picture, with the ability to manage extremely large ships, build space stations, and create an empire.
This is not all gameplay, it's part of the gameplay that some players like, but there are other players that are more interesting in other thing to do. Is it so difficult to realize such a simple thing?
"It is all up to you... Fight, Build, Trade, Think."

blazin419 wrote:You're telling me to play the earlier games but you sound like you've never even played those games. Judging by your registration date and your label of calling the gameplay elements that literally created the X brand, "4X-strategy", you've probably never even played X3 to a meaningful level.
The hypocrisy here. I'm here arguing for preserving the core gameplay of the X brand, while you're here arguing for trying to change the X series into Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous.
The person who uses such tricks accuses me of hypocrisy ... Not bad, not bad at all!
Play to X only on meaningful level, otherwise don't even mention this holy name! :lol:

MegaJohnny wrote:It's fine that you like to have it, but it's your assertion that new space sims "need" it that irks me.
I agree that this is not the most appropriate word. Plus I agree that now walking on stations (except for hacking) not very interesting, but on the other hand this can be made more interesting and also make it an optional part of the gameplay.
Last edited by Dupin on Wed, 15. Mar 17, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Wed, 15. Mar 17, 17:09

blazin419 wrote: what I can tell you about it so far is that it will allow you to fly many different ships, it will give you an all-new interface to manage large fleets, and it will give you full freedom when building stations from individual modules.", the developers themselves know the strong points of the X series and wish to bring that back in X4.
Oh yes, and thank goodness they get it now. Looking forward to what Rebirth should have been all along.

Vector_Gorgoth
x3ap

Post by Vector_Gorgoth » Wed, 15. Mar 17, 20:05

gbjbaanb wrote:
blazin419 wrote: what I can tell you about it so far is that it will allow you to fly many different ships, it will give you an all-new interface to manage large fleets, and it will give you full freedom when building stations from individual modules.", the developers themselves know the strong points of the X series and wish to bring that back in X4.
Oh yes, and thank goodness they get it now. Looking forward to what Rebirth should have been all along.
This. I haven't touched Rebirth due to the "consolization" of the interface and gameplay. Also because of the paid DLC. If Egosoft continues to engage in that sort of thing with X4, I simply won't buy it.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 15. Mar 17, 22:05

Dupin and blazin419, let's dial it back a bit. Personal attacks will not be tolerated and will lead to official warnings, or worse. Play nice, please.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Fri, 17. Mar 17, 01:25

Dupin wrote:I agree that this is not the most appropriate word. Plus I agree that now walking on stations (except for hacking) not very interesting, but on the other hand this can be made more interesting and also make it an optional part of the gameplay.
Right, I see what you mean now. It's about as optional as I could hope for right now, which I'm quite happy about. Especially since they took the time to implement this transfer pod stuff.
Vector_Gorgoth wrote:This. I haven't touched Rebirth due to the "consolization" of the interface and gameplay. Also because of the paid DLC. If Egosoft continues to engage in that sort of thing with X4, I simply won't buy it.
Out of interest, are you opposed to paid DLC as a whole, or the way Egosoft has approached it?

YOYOMAN_MODDER
x4

Post by YOYOMAN_MODDER » Fri, 17. Mar 17, 11:32

useless dialog in upper posts. If Ego change engine, games will be better. Sad but true. IMHO and i dont want bump this. All paid dlc i have bought, becourse i want to support developers.

refuse
x4

X4 is in development!?

Post by refuse » Sun, 19. Mar 17, 19:26

I looking forward to 2025

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”