Strange Ship Sudden Undocking Issue.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Doktor Teufel
x3tc

Post by Doktor Teufel » Tue, 7. Mar 17, 01:13

Nanook wrote:Why do you have 'surplus' ships? If you have ships, put them to work doing something. Otherwise, you might just as well sell them and use the proceeds for other things. The only ship types I generally keep idle are various types of fighting ships that I use for different purposes. None of my freighters ever sit idle. And if I don't have an immediate use for a given fighter, it gets sold.
You're an old veteran of X. You're so familiar with the game that finding a use for anything at any time comes completely naturally to you.

To others who haven't fully mastered every aspect of the game and are still overwhelmed with some aspect of it or another, effortless multitasking may not come nearly as easily or as quickly and there's bound to be a lot more tunnel vision.

As a player gains familiarity, he can more easily have his credits and ships always put to work doing something useful and/or profitable.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 7. Mar 17, 01:45

I wasn't saying he needed to be using his surplus ships, just advising him that if he isn't, it's better to sell them and use the credits for something he currently needs. Just a little advice from "an old veteran of X". :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Doktor Teufel
x3tc

Post by Doktor Teufel » Tue, 7. Mar 17, 06:19

Nanook wrote:I wasn't saying he needed to be using his surplus ships, just advising him that if he isn't, it's better to sell them and use the credits for something he currently needs. Just a little advice from "an old veteran of X". :wink:
It applies to both, really.

I still have 90m sitting around because I need to figure out what to do with it.

Well, it's more like I'm putting off building some complexes due to expert procrastination... but uh... yeah, you know what I mean.

jorganos
x3tc

Post by jorganos » Tue, 7. Mar 17, 06:31

In my currrent, military game I was in the situation where I could not afford to equip all the ships I have captured (or just made to bail in tomahawk-rich environments). I have taken two days off off killing every Argon in sight to consolidate a little, but money still remains tight.

Selling off badly damaged ships feels like making a huge loss to me. I have to clean them up to get a decent price, or find an afficionado paying extra for getting something to work on himself.

Doktor Teufel
x3tc

Post by Doktor Teufel » Tue, 7. Mar 17, 13:48

If it's something that I can buy in a shipyard in acceptable quantities and I have no immediate use for it, then as Nanook suggests, I'll sell it off. This also helps to keep the property list compact and tidy.

jorganos
x3tc

Post by jorganos » Fri, 10. Mar 17, 18:59

Doktor Teufel wrote:If it's something that I can buy in a shipyard in acceptable quantities and I have no immediate use for it, then as Nanook suggests, I'll sell it off. This also helps to keep the property list compact and tidy.
It's mostly Argon hulls, and no, I won't be able to buy those in shipyards until hell has frozen over or I can get positive rep from Argon missions (and as things stand, hell freezing over probably has bigger chances to come first).

Once I have them in Terran space beyond Saturn or Mars, I can put them to use, if only as storage for loot or as buyers in hard to get to stations (Aldrin....). Getting them there is more work than getting mines perfectly aligned for complexes.

Bjazz68

Post by Bjazz68 » Fri, 10. Mar 17, 20:46

Thank you very much Nanook and Doktor Teufel for your advice and comments. The idea of selling off surplus ships, you guys have it perfectly right in my case, plus I am new and it is really difficult to know what to do with every single ship I have, Only just learnt how to capture a ship and only done it twice so far.
Not to mention the cost of fitting all of these new ships out for whatever intended purpose.

I still need to learn how to approach different money making processes and also what extra equipment is needed and where to put it to make these processes possible.

So naturally the end result is that you have a few ships just sitting around.

I might sell most of them off and keep one trader and one fighter for now and then concentrate on what extras I could buy to enhance both of these ship's money making processes.

Thanks guys,
bjazz :)

zooze
xr

Post by zooze » Fri, 8. Sep 17, 13:11

I keep any surplus ships at my player HQ. Docking clamps are used for M6+ so these are limited however you get plenty. Internal docking for M3 and smaller ships so you should be fine. But ultimately put the ships to use. Nearly all of my M7s and up are patrolling and keeping my core worlds safe.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 8. Sep 17, 20:37

Please do not dredge up old threads. Bumping such threads is against forum rules. You've been around long enough and should know better!
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”