EnglishGermanFrenchRussianPolishItalianSpanish

Question about shipyards
View previous topic :: View next topic
mergoth

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 20. Jan 17, 01:16    Post subject: Question about shipyards Reply with quote Print

It seems all the economy is based on the shipyards. All the products end up being used there. SO my question is: are ships from the shipyards constantly bought from NPC to keep the economy flowing? Since someone advised me to buy the ships myself from the shipyard to stimulate their production... but I cant build dozens of ships constantly Oops

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)

MEDAL

PostPosted: Fri, 20. Jan 17, 01:26    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

ships are built by the Shipyard without you having to order them, obviously. but if you order them yourself, too the ressource damand is increased, too.
about what these ships do i can only say move.die

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter Wink

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help Wink
RAVEN.myst

PostPosted: Fri, 20. Jan 17, 07:37    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

@mergoth: Yes, the NPCs do keep ordering ships, so the sink is continuous. However, production can stall due to shortage of a particular required resource; this can be an opportunity to profit (by supplying the missing ware/s for top dollar), or a major, inconvenient headache (when you want to buy a ship and can't because the SY is tied up with a NPC order.

NPC orders will (as far as I've observed - many many dozens of hours) never tied up all the capital docks at once (in fact, at SYs with 1XL and 2L docks, it may be they only occupy one at a time). However, this is of limited help, as if you need a new XL ship and it's the XL dock that is jammed up, then so are you. Incidentally, there is no direct means to check which ware is short, but there is a pretty simple indirect method: start ordering a ship that you CAN order, and when you get to the screen detailing the various resources, check what's in the red. Be sure not to confirm this order, though, unless you specifically need to, as it will only end up stuck, too, until the missing resources are delivered.

So, to circle back to your question: you don't need to keep ordering dozens of ships (though in the later game you may actually end up needing to get that many ships for your various factories and fleets - but when you are throwing around 100s of millions of credits, or billions, those ships are easily affordable) - you need only "keep oiling the gears" - make sure that the shipyard are stocked up on everything they need. As you've accurately identified, the shipyards are the final resource sink, so if you keep feeding them with all the wares they require, this will not only keep the SYs active and demanding wares, but will also stimulate the demand for the lower-tier goods - ie. the entire economy.

Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff
Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

PostPosted: Fri, 20. Jan 17, 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

RAVEN.myst wrote:
..Incidentally, there is no direct means to check which ware is short, but there is a pretty simple indirect method: start ordering a ship that you CAN order, and when you get to the screen detailing the various resources, check what's in the red....

Or, you can look at the trade offers for the shipyard and see what wares they're offering the highest premium to buy. You can be pretty sure that those are the missing wares. Smile

RAVEN.myst

PostPosted: Fri, 20. Jan 17, 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Nanook wrote:
RAVEN.myst wrote:
..Incidentally, there is no direct means to check which ware is short, but there is a pretty simple indirect method: start ordering a ship that you CAN order, and when you get to the screen detailing the various resources, check what's in the red....

Or, you can look at the trade offers for the shipyard and see what wares they're offering the highest premium to buy. You can be pretty sure that those are the missing wares. Smile

True enough Smile Though in the case of the DHA shipyard, pretty much ALL the important wares are listed at top dollar much of the time, so it doesn't exactly narrow it down... Very Happy

-
The Write Stuff
Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

PostPosted: Fri, 20. Jan 17, 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

It may be different in plot games, I usually only play non-plot, but in my experience the only wares that are consistently out of stock in DeVries are scanning arrays. Occasionally, they'll be short of RMP's, too, but it's mostly the arrays they need. I like to use Styrvoks so I'm usually aware of what they need. Since the advent of the galaxy-wide 'Courier' traders, the shipyard keeps pretty well stocked up on most wares. Again, this is in non-plot games.

RAVEN.myst

PostPosted: Fri, 20. Jan 17, 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Nanook wrote:
It may be different in plot games, I usually only play non-plot, but in my experience the only wares that are consistently out of stock in DeVries are scanning arrays. Occasionally, they'll be short of RMP's, too, but it's mostly the arrays they need. I like to use Styrvoks so I'm usually aware of what they need. Since the advent of the galaxy-wide 'Courier' traders, the shipyard keeps pretty well stocked up on most wares. Again, this is in non-plot games.

It seems mostly quite similar (I've played non-plot games as well, but in those I don't even look at DV, heheh, so am not familiar with the economy - unlikely to be too different, though.) Those scanning arrays are definitely the prime culprit (and not just in DV, either - Gemstone Manufacture is also often running out of those), and as you say RMP sometimes (in plot games, I always set up a Construction Shop in GT, and the regular RMP shortage goes away forever Very Happy ) I've seen microchip and FR shortages, too, but far less often since 4.0 (I guess it's as you say, the increased number of "NPC UTs" nowadays alleviates that.) In my most recent game, I was popping up ScanArr-producing stations in both DV and Albion, more than one on each side, even, to keep up with the demand.

-
The Write Stuff
RodentofDoom

PostPosted: Thu, 2. Feb 17, 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

its usually one of

- scanner array
- fusion pump
- metal plates

and out of those, the pump crops up less often

hisazul

PostPosted: Fri, 3. Feb 17, 06:50    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

No difference between campain and not in that regard. Campaign only adds 4? stations to DV and none of them are even finished entirely and have nothing to do with hi-tech wares. It does add another shipyard which increases the drain...

But yeah scanner arrays are the usual DV bottleneck. All my miners are Onils so I'm well "introduced" to DV product shortages. If you are running a few hundred mining ships... replacing them is... not fun.