EnglishGermanFrenchRussianPolishItalianSpanish

Starting new game - campaign or not?
View previous topic :: View next topic
foxxbl

Thank you for registering your game
modified
PostPosted: Fri, 20. Jan 17, 17:12    Post subject: Starting new game - campaign or not? Reply with quote Print

I practically did all I could do in my current game, close to 2bio, fully upgraded Skunk, lots of stations, good economy, but I did few mistakes in planning of my empire. E.g. Built Arms Tech Lab which produces lots of unsellable products, or building a station outside the DeVries, or building the stations in wrong places (Water Refinery in Maelstrom lol), stations based on the mixed food resources.. As I dont know how to get rid of some of them, am thinking to restart the game and start the game, this time right planned (using utility for station planning).

What do you think, in your opinion, does it make sense to start again campaign game? What value would it give in addition to the IURV Forge and lots of fun?

Thanks!

Last edited by foxxbl on Fri, 20. Jan 17, 17:47; edited 1 time in total
iforgotmysocks

PostPosted: Fri, 20. Jan 17, 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

If u're looking to start over anyway, try cwir. It will give u something to do in your "endgame" and it will render ur way to your empire alot more difficult and if u're unlucky, keeping it alive will be really difficult depending on how far u planned ahead.

RAVEN.myst

PostPosted: Fri, 20. Jan 17, 17:34    Post subject: Re: Starting new game - campaign or not? Reply with quote Print

foxxbl wrote:
What value would it give in addition to the IURV Forge and lots of fun?

Do you need more reasons than those? Very Happy But seriously: I guess it depends entirely on your needs and wants. If you decide against a plot game, you may want to take things elsewhere, so for example do one of the Omicron Lyrae starts, or the Teladi Outpost if you have that DLC - one of the starts grants you an initial station in a scenic location (*), so if you want a *quite* different start you could opt for that. Or if you are more combat and exploration minded you could start in Maelstrom, or Toride if you are REALLY into the survival mode thing (and have the HoL DLC.)

Personally, I find non-plot games of Rebirh to be comparatively dull and lacking in externally provided challenges, but then I *am* somewhat... masochistic? with regards to game challenge levels Very Happy

(*) If you do the Empire Builder game which starts you with a station, here's a word of advice: as soon as the game starts, immediately check your architect's stats, and if they are crap, restart, and keep doing this until you get an adequate (or even good, if you are lucky) architect. The reason for this is that since 4.0 patch, it is no longer possible to replace an already-assigned architect, so you are stuck with the one you get, and if it's a crap one then your only recourse is lots of bribe-gift items and LOTS of concomitant "smalltalk" to get all the virtual seminars to improve that architect.

Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff
Ezarkal

PostPosted: Fri, 20. Jan 17, 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

If it's just about you not being happy with the few mistakes you've made, then there are mods that allow you to sell or deconstruct stations. As iforgotmysocks said, CWIR also adds some late-game action with the option of taking part in the universal war implemented by the mod.

If you want to simply start over from scratch for the fun of it, then it's really up to whether or not you want to start in the same area with the same "path" set for you. If yes, then the plot will give you additional action and feeling of progress. If no, then any game start should bring up some variety, if only for the location, if you feel like it.

Once again, a new game with CWIR is a good way to have that additional variety. There's a lot more action, and a real risk of losing your stuff if you build in "at risk" area. I remember I had loads of fun building in sigma sector, while helping the heretic vanguard (turned in a whole faction with stations and economy by the mod) and trying to stop the xenon onslaught (they spawn... a lot).

foxxbl

PostPosted: Fri, 20. Jan 17, 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Thanks for the all suggestions.

I will check the mod to deconstruct the station and see what to do.

CWIR looks interesting also. Maybe to try to protect current empire in the CWIR universe, would provide sufficient challenge.

Playing again plot could be fun and IURV Forge would provide the push I need to overcome initial cash flow issues.

Ketraar
Moderator (PortuguÍs)
Moderator (PortuguÍs)

MEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Fri, 20. Jan 17, 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Quote:
The reason for this is that since 4.0 patch, it is no longer possible to replace an already-assigned architect

Are you sure? That sounds like a thing I'd consider a bug.

Architects should be replaceable, the only exception I know is when you have a build order, but once idle it should be possible. If not post in beta forum so it may get fixed.

MFG

Ketraar

RAVEN.myst

PostPosted: Fri, 20. Jan 17, 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Ketraar wrote:
Quote:
The reason for this is that since 4.0 patch, it is no longer possible to replace an already-assigned architect

Are you sure? That sounds like a thing I'd consider a bug.

Architects should be replaceable, the only exception I know is when you have a build order, but once idle it should be possible. If not post in beta forum so it may get fixed.

It was documented in the patch notes as an intentional change, in order to fix some issues with architects bugging out sometimes if they got replaced. I always considered it something of a messy hack, to be perfectly honest - instead of addressing the root problems, it avoids the issue by preventing the USEFUL functionality that could lead to the problematic condition. I wouldn't even dignify it with the term "workaround". (It's rather like saying "Hmmm, we have road accidents - let's prevent them by closing all the roads.") From the above comments, you can see that I agree with you 100% that this is NOT how it SHOULD be. Wink

So I've had to be extra careful when hiring and firing architects to not do it on a CV, in case of accidental "work here" being issued (I don't think I ever have done so, but I'm paranoid that way.) And yes, I'm sure: as soon as an architect is assigned to a CV, the option to "return to ship" is no longer available to that architect, and others can't be told to "work here -> replace existing crew member" either.

-
The Write Stuff
Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

PostPosted: Fri, 20. Jan 17, 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

For completeness it's worth noting that the Campaign also leads to a few NPC stations being built that are not in other game starts (including a 2nd DeVries shipyard):

http://www.egosoft.com:8292/confluence/display/XRWIKI/Campaign-only+NPC+stations

RAVEN.myst

PostPosted: Fri, 20. Jan 17, 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:
For completeness it's worth noting that the Campaign also leads to a few NPC stations being built that are not in other game starts (including a 2nd DeVries shipyard):

http://www.egosoft.com:8292/confluence/display/XRWIKI/Campaign-only+NPC+stations

I can't believe I actually forgot to mention this, as it's a major "plus" in my books. Those stations provide: 1. additional personal objectives (helping to get them built) - as well as modest profit opportunities while getting this done, and 2. extra facilities, both as resources/suppliers and as consumers/sinks. Nice one, Sparks! Smile

-
The Write Stuff
Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

PostPosted: Fri, 20. Jan 17, 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

You're welcome - makes a nice change from you filling in the bits I forget for a change Very Happy

foxxbl

PostPosted: Mon, 23. Jan 17, 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Thanks for all the suggestions, pointers to mods and useful links.

I used Station recycle mod to remove my badly positioned station and created it in a better position withing the DeVries.

I feel better about my economy but still I don't feel any challenge so far so I will try out CWIR mod.
If this would create too much chaos, I will start a new campaign game on a hard difficulty (this one is on a normal difficulty).

Cheers!