NEWS: X Rebirth VR Edition, Updates and X4

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Wed, 18. Jan 17, 18:29

Ketraar wrote:Bernd, said it was a success, monetary speaking.
And there is also where it ends.

I see a few problems with Rebirth VR:
1: Rebirth, while being a marketing success isn't very admired as a game, besides the few that play it.
2: acquisition of VR headset, a very expensive piece of otherwise unnecessary equipment.
3: acquisition of controller, because playing with M+K is out of the question with the VR headset.

Ketraar wrote:So unless you fork over some cash I'd say, you can put your "demands" where the sun dont shine.
I'll fork over some money when I see something worth it.

Currently the items IMHO not worth it are and/or will be:
Rebirth
Rebirth VR
Rebirth 2 (aka X4)

I'm sure mr.WHO already forked over some money for one of the above items.

Also, what you consider "demands" is better considered as "advice" from the intended customer base. A very sceptical customer base for any future Egosoft endeavours.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Wed, 18. Jan 17, 19:02

From my point of view no only sales or making money, VR owners desperately lack some good games, but it is innovation as well, X Rebirth VR is a good platform, not only for testing VR but Vulkan too.

The costs for developing X Rebirth VR? Look at it this way, you need 90fps for VR, now look at your computer, now look at your fps in game, now look again at those 90fps, now look at a game CPU bound. So I get the suspicion that it is a matter of scaling down some stuff that requires lots of calculations and less about adding stuff.

And it will be a nice platform to test the waters with an early access release as well. Something that will be very positive in terms of the Devs communicating with the community and moving towards a more close involvement regarding feedback that could benefit a future X4.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

monster.zero
x4

Post by monster.zero » Thu, 19. Jan 17, 01:36

"cause playing with M+K is out of the question with the VR headset."

??? I play Elite Dangerous in VR with Mouse keyboard..... No problems. I'll play Star Citizen the same way...VR+M/K...I'll play X:R VR with mouse keyboard if it's possible.

I enjoy X:R far more than Elite:D...so VR in X:R is going to be incredible!

Hope it's a option for X4!
DEC BC ; Decrease the counter
LD A, B ; Load one byte of the counter into the accumulator
OR C ; Bitwise OR with the other byte
JR NZ, Loop

Zaknafein
xr

Post by Zaknafein » Fri, 20. Jan 17, 01:00

Ketraar wrote:
C'mon the main reason why X-Rebirth was a failure was the lack of time, modey and resources. Now Egosoft divide their limited resources two two titles.
Again you are mixing up your own feelings with facts (I know its trendy these days, but I dont like facts twisted). The CEO of Egosoft, aka, GoD, aka Bernd, said it was a success, monetary speaking. So your fears of lack of resources have no base. Not that I know any better, but I myself avoid making assumption on things I know nothing about, you should try it its quite fun. ;-)

Ketraar
And yet you assume that Bern, the CEO of this company is telling the truth...
It is in his and the companys best interest to appear successful with XR.
Its also the same guy that said after release "only 1% of the gamers are unhappy with it". I dont assume that he´s an idiot since Steam and Metacritic proved him (very) wrong here but instead again, he had to maintain an appearence for the company and therefore lie.
Its a bold assumption to just believe anything he says regarding future and past games since XR.
Ofc ***modified***, modders doing what Egosoft cant.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Fri, 20. Jan 17, 11:48

Ketraar wrote:
mr.WHO wrote:Just like GUI for console controller have to be different than GUI for PC game for mouse and keyboard.
This is a fallacy. Many AAA games are developed for console and then ported to PC with same UI. Mostly what they require is mouse functionality, for easier navigation within the menus.
Most yes but not all especially those with complex controls or many things under the players control. You'll notice that console to PC ported games simply avoid this type of gameplay altogether and PC games that have this quality are not ported to consoles. This is how Elite gets away with it you only ever have your ship and one drone like support fighter to consider at anyone time.

VR is a gamechanger in this respect because the VR controllers (as opposed to gamepads) can support more complex jestures just like a mouse.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 20. Jan 17, 15:30

Well mr.WHO made a broad, all encompassing claim that was simply not true at all, as I explained in my post. I'm very well aware that some games require more complex controls and would not work well on a controller layout. Making broad statements, only perpetuates misinformation.

And yes RTS type controls (;-)) would probably require M/KB, even if End War does not.

MFG

Ketraar

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Fri, 20. Jan 17, 15:57

Ketraar wrote:...End War...
Now there was an intriguing game... I didn't think it was *great* as such, but it was very interesting, and had great potential - and I enjoyed commanding my blokes verbally (even if the voice recognition was a bit hit-and-miss.) However, since I was fortunate enough to play this one a couple of months prior to release (for the purposes of a magazine preview), it's quite possible that some functions weren't quite finished/polished/fine-tuned when I played it...
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Denurk
x4

Post by Denurk » Tue, 31. Jan 17, 01:28

Where are you cool vidos :roll: :lol:

carran
x4

Post by carran » Tue, 31. Jan 17, 13:59

Some may recall Egosoft coming to Jodrell Bank in the UK prior to launching X2 The Threat organized by Steel

I would be very interested in attending a similar event prior to X4 launch

Is there any appetite from Egosoft to come over before Brexit imposes visas for travel :D :D :D

thrangar
x4

Post by thrangar » Wed, 1. Feb 17, 16:41

carran wrote:Some may recall Egosoft coming to Jodrell Bank in the UK prior to launching X2 The Threat organized by Steel

I would be very interested in attending a similar event prior to X4 launch

Is there any appetite from Egosoft to come over before Brexit imposes visas for travel :D :D :D
Yes I remember, that I still have all the pictures that they shared of everyone who went!

Often wonder how those guys are doing?

Shasslar
x4

Post by Shasslar » Wed, 1. Feb 17, 20:31

Holy carp, you've just rekindled my hope in gaming.
Thank you, Egosoft, for listening to your fans.

HYPE !

Mike2988
xr

Post by Mike2988 » Sun, 5. Feb 17, 01:16

Graaf wrote:
Ketraar wrote:Bernd, said it was a success, monetary speaking.
And there is also where it ends.

I see a few problems with Rebirth VR:
1: Rebirth, while being a marketing success isn't very admired as a game, besides the few that play it.
2: acquisition of VR headset, a very expensive piece of otherwise unnecessary equipment.
3: acquisition of controller, because playing with M+K is out of the question with the VR headset.

Ketraar wrote:So unless you fork over some cash I'd say, you can put your "demands" where the sun dont shine.
I'll fork over some money when I see something worth it.

Currently the items IMHO not worth it are and/or will be:
Rebirth
Rebirth VR
Rebirth 2 (aka X4)

I'm sure mr.WHO already forked over some money for one of the above items.

Also, what you consider "demands" is better considered as "advice" from the intended customer base. A very sceptical customer base for any future Egosoft endeavours.
you can play vr with keyboard and mouse, i for one i know exactly where each button is on keyboard without looking at it

not many got VR since is expensive to get and yeah i agree those who already got vr really would use a very high graphic game since not many are there for vr

MattBres

VR Headset

Post by MattBres » Sun, 5. Feb 17, 15:21

I think this one is cool. I will try this on my new VR Headset. :D :D

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Sat, 11. Feb 17, 00:42

There are two games that I support without reservation. Star Citizen... and Egosoft and the X series.

AND it is only those two that I also even get excited over. Both fill a great nitch and when I am not online SC, I am single player in my own universe in X3 somewhere...

I hope to continue this with X4. In fact, I hope eventually I will be in both universes at the same time.. Might be on a mission in SC that takes a while to navigate to and while the ship is headed there, I can work some missions in X4 (or one of my older X3 game saves!)

I look forward to seeing what it all brings!
Take it light.....

Malakie

----------------------------------------------------

schedarx
x3ap

Post by schedarx » Sun, 19. Feb 17, 21:00

I wish Egosoft didn't bother with Rebirth and VR.

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Mon, 20. Feb 17, 04:53

schedarx wrote:I wish Egosoft didn't bother with Rebirth and VR.
I would definitely be interested in the VR version however I am one of those waiting until the VR hardware becomes better and less expensive. It has a long way to go before I will put down that kind of money for a VR headset.
Take it light.....

Malakie

----------------------------------------------------

Dan86

Post by Dan86 » Fri, 3. Mar 17, 17:59

Any recent news about this (updates and x4 ,not much fan of vr) ?

ffernandez

Post by ffernandez » Mon, 6. Mar 17, 20:45

Shasslar wrote:Holy carp, you've just rekindled my hope in gaming.
Thank you, Egosoft, for listening to your fans.

HYPE !
I fully share your opinion Shasslar, it was time to listen to fans.
Thanks Egosoft!!!

Jonas801
x3tc

Post by Jonas801 » Sat, 11. Mar 17, 02:28

Sounds really great and i wish you guys good luck.
For a time i was unsure what is gonna happen to Egosoft, but i am glad to see you guys are back on track. ;)

It is also great to see you guys are updating the "old" games. Im sure people are gonna appreciate it. ;)
Mu

Twsted
x4

Post by Twsted » Sun, 12. Mar 17, 02:48

a lot of my questions have been answered.
thank you.
and thank you for bringing back our most beloved features in X4.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”