Starting again?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

smitj
x3

Starting again?

Post by smitj » Tue, 20. Dec 16, 14:55

I have not played Rebirth since about 6 weeks after release. Have things been fixed. Is it worth giving it another try?

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Tue, 20. Dec 16, 15:08

There have been many updates since release.

These days, whilst there are some things that you could do in X3 games that you can't in Rebirth, the opposite is also true. If you own it already, there's no harm in firing it up and checking it out.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 20. Dec 16, 15:11

A fairly recent similar thread. Also be aware that a Public Beta of even further updates is in progress just now.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Re: Starting again?

Post by RAVEN.myst » Tue, 20. Dec 16, 15:41

smitj wrote:I have not played Rebirth since about 6 weeks after release. Have things been fixed. Is it worth giving it another try?
I say this as someone who utterly despised the game in its stat at original release (and, to be honest, even after the first couple of major updates) - it is now at a point where I can heartily say that it's worth playing.

Besides...
Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:If you own it already, there's no harm in firing it up and checking it out.
This is so true :)
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

HBK
x4

Post by HBK » Tue, 20. Dec 16, 16:42

The game is now (well for quite some patches now, but even more so in its 4.0 state) in the state where it should have been at release. It still leaves this impression of being a "baby" X game, but it's very much worth playing.

In many aspects it actually surpasses the X3 games (even X3AP). It's just that it's also lacking some stuff (features/content) from those games so it's not a 100% win, but it's a good X game nonetheless. Also Ego's support has been stellar, no pun intended, even if it was arguably required, granted how much of a mess the game was at release. But they still fixed it, so Kudos to that.

smitj
x3

Post by smitj » Wed, 21. Dec 16, 12:36

One of the biggest problems I had previously was configuring the control to my joystick (Thrustmaster Hotas X) has there been any improvement in this field?

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Wed, 21. Dec 16, 15:05

If memory serves, there a few threads concerning this issue in the past year.
You might want to browse back a few page on either this forum or the tech support forum, but I think people had found solutions and workarounds for the different issues.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Rei Ayanami
x4

Re: Starting again?

Post by Rei Ayanami » Wed, 21. Dec 16, 16:17

smitj wrote:I have not played Rebirth since about 6 weeks after release. Have things been fixed. Is it worth giving it another try?
Just as an advice : I would not use savegames from that early, using a version 1.X savegame might still have tons of bugs even if you load it in a 4.X version, a fresh clean start might be the better option in order to avoid any potential complications.

But yea, if you like the concept of the X games the game is definitely worth playing now. Be aware that the current beta version has some bugs so if you want the best experience you should not use the 4.1 beta version but use the normal 4.0 version until 4.1 is releeased.

strude
x4

Post by strude » Thu, 22. Dec 16, 03:38

I'm getting a Steam controller for Christmas, so I'm waiting for 4.1 offical to drop, then going to try and new game with the controller. Not had a lot of luck with the X-Box controller I have, so hoping I make the Steam controller work for me. I'm not really a good controller player :shock:
Gaming PC: Gigabyte H270M-D3H | i7 7700 | 16Gb DDR4 | Gigabyte GTX1060 6Gb OC | Asus Xonar DGX | Window 10 Home 64bit | Samsung 256Gb SSD

blotunga
xr

Post by blotunga » Thu, 12. Jan 17, 08:50

Why don't you simply use mouse + keyboard? X games shouldn't be played with a controller, and usually don't work to well with a joystick either :P

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Thu, 12. Jan 17, 09:16

Up till Reunion, I actually found the mouse system really clunky and imprecise, and I found joystick to be more suited, but as of X3TC I have to agree - I now prefer the KB+mouse, even despite losing some access to simultaneous multi-axial manoeuvreing. However, I've never owned a controller for my PC (it's not a console! :P hehehhe), so I can't really speak to how good or bad that option is, for them Xs. (Incidentally, is the 'X' button on the Xbox controller a win-button in X-titles? :P )
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Thu, 12. Jan 17, 09:48

Just to get 3 points of view across,, The controller is for the limited controls of consoles .... The mouse and keyboard is a step up and is fine for point and click adventures and typing... The Joystick/HOTAS is used by those that have managed to master the numerous control buttons while multi tasking :)
The Joystick/HOTAS works just perfectly and is far superior to the simpler forms of input....... (In my opinion)

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Thu, 12. Jan 17, 11:50

Sadly, my joystick died some time ago, and I've been unable to replace it, but I did enjoy playing with it (wait, that sounds all wrong! :P ) However, losing it (that ALSO sounds wrong!) proved to be a blessing in disguise, as otherwise I would never have tried KB+M, which I discovered gives FAR superior precision, at the expense of at least one axis of motion. Given the chance, however, I WOULD use it again (yet again, that sounds wrong...), but in combination with KB+M - best of both worlds :)
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Thu, 12. Jan 17, 11:59

Luckily I never lost it and still enjoy playing with it,,,,,, (yes...it does read wrong as well)..and yes the combination KB/mouse + Joystick is best... That was so hard (see innuendo again) not to go down a mucky path....
Last edited by birdtable on Thu, 12. Jan 17, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Thu, 12. Jan 17, 12:18

(*chuckling*)

OK, I better make some lunch...

(*still chuckling*)
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

wizaerd
x4

Post by wizaerd » Sun, 15. Jan 17, 00:09

I prefer to play with a controller over m+kb... I'm more comfortable and relaxed. However, the default mapping was pretty horrible when I played so very long ago. And trying to remap it myself wasnt a fun experience. I know there are limited buttons, but there are plenty of button combos that could be implemented (see Elite Dangerous for a good example). Can anyone say if the default controller schemes have been improved any?

Typically, the story in the X games always served as a tutorial for the sandbox mode. But seeing as there's been many new features added to the game, as well as DLC, has the story/tutorial been updated to include all the new stuff? Does it do a good job to get someone comfortable with the game, and knowledgable enough to transition to sandbox?

Ormac
x4

Post by Ormac » Mon, 16. Jan 17, 03:11

The Story does not cross into the DLC regions. Although each DLC has a Generic Plot line to encourage you to explore and map the new areas.

There have been no offical Video Tutorials added since Teladi Outpost. and the weapon mods, jump drive and SETA are just additional crafting items.

Muddling through Station Building in the sandbox is perhaps a better way to learn the station building mechanic in the game.

I don't think the Tutorial has been broken further by the DLC and those early reported plot blocking bugs have been fixed.

-- Ormac

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Mon, 16. Jan 17, 06:08

Hi,

has anybody taken the laudable task of creating a complete list of craftings anywhere?

cu
Rainer
Ormac wrote:The Story does not cross into the DLC regions. Although each DLC has a Generic Plot line to encourage you to explore and map the new areas.

There have been no offical Video Tutorials added since Teladi Outpost. and the weapon mods, jump drive and SETA are just additional crafting items.

Muddling through Station Building in the sandbox is perhaps a better way to learn the station building mechanic in the game.

I don't think the Tutorial has been broken further by the DLC and those early reported plot blocking bugs have been fixed.

-- Ormac

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Mon, 16. Jan 17, 09:21

RainerPrem wrote:has anybody taken the laudable task of creating a complete list of craftings anywhere?
[Crafting] XRebirth Secret
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 16. Jan 17, 09:26

The game has vastly improved since release not only in gameplay but choices within gameplay... My preferred method of learning the game was through (as Ormac stated "muddling through"), youtube and the Rebirth Wiki which was sadly not available at launch.
I have never played the tutorial more than about 10% as I find the "sandbox method" the best way of learning to suit my style of gameplay...

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”