EnglishGermanFrenchRussianPolishItalianSpanish

Wiki - support thread
View previous topic :: View next topic
stefanEgo
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

Thank you for registering your game
modified
PostPosted: Fri, 24. Jul 15, 16:38    Post subject: Wiki - support thread Reply with quote Print

We've set up a wiki-system for the community where you can publish your own content now.
Please take a look at http://wiki.egosoft.com

Do not hesitate to add your own content, if you think it would be useful for others too.
If you run into problems/issues when using the Wiki or if you have suggestions to improve things, you can post these in this thread.

Coordinating Moderator

• Sparky Sparkycorp

Moderators

• Snafu
  • solntcev

Last edited by stefanEgo on Wed, 10. Feb 16, 13:07; edited 5 times in total
Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

PostPosted: Tue, 5. Jan 16, 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Update on wiki content for modders

There are lots potential sources of info that can help modders on the wiki and dotted around the forum (some on sticked pages, others having sunk out of sight). To help keep track of them the following wiki page, and it's child pages, contains the wiki info and hyperlinks to forum info.

Mods and modding support

As the above page (and some child pages) has just received a spring clean and a few additions, it's not a bad time to give it a little limelight Wink

Summary of sources of info for modders:
1. The wiki hosts 12 Egosoft-created pages of info.
2. The wiki links [at least] 6 Egosoft-created non-wiki pages of info (linked on the wiki).
3. The forum hosts many player-created modding guides and tips (many linked on the wiki).

In the case of number 3, I'm sure I've only been able to scratched the surface. Please feel free to add as many useful hyperlinks to the lists as you like. Or similarly, feel free to create child pages on the wiki there if you'd like to write some info down.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

PostPosted: Wed, 3. Feb 16, 01:35    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Hi Kane,

Thanks for your feedback here. I think I have covered the main points from my limited knowledge but please feel free to follow-up.

Kane Hart wrote:

If so that is not a wiki. It's some busted up script of a site.

Wikipedia defines a wiki as "a website which allows collaborative modification of its content and structure directly from the web browser". I think the X-Universe wiki offers that because anyone can create, edit and move content on it. Please see the wiki-based guide here (and the child pages to the left of that page) for further info.

Kane Hart wrote:

Not only that but normally the person who sets up the wiki has to setup some basic rules, and layout but also included some sort of formatting guideline.

Basic rules are on the home pages, such as here for the Rebirth wiki. If you have some suggestions for improving them, you are welcome to provide feedback to either community-based moderators (myself for the English language wiki at this point) or stefanEgo from Egosoft. I'd suggest me so Stefan can focus on 4.00 beta but there isn't a rule for that yet! Smile

Kane Hart wrote:

I'm sorry but I suggest using something like media wiki but if the devs don't have the time or talent to setup the base wiki properly I suggest waiting or looking for a community member to do it instead.

This is a question that others would be able to answer better than I but from my perspective, there are already wikis and websites out there (for example, some have been listed on the wiki here). We're free to use and contribute to those or others as well/instead. Advantages of this wiki include that it's integrated into this forum and with some of Egosoft's ongoing internal work. For example, their sharing of UI modding documentation, and the UI changelog, which is based within Confluence's sister software, JIRA.

Is it the best wiki in the world for us players? I wouldn't know as I've only contributed to a couple of others but from your post I guess I could take it that it might not be. Is it one that Egosoft are already using and have opened up to us? Yes and that works for me, but it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Snafu_X3

PostPosted: Thu, 18. Feb 16, 03:54    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

OK, I've been thinking about some problems for the last few months. There appears to be no Wiki page dedicated to problems with the Wiki, so I'll post them here prior to creating such a page..

Editing
    Text cursor vanishes/reappears (seemingly at random), making quick & accurate typo-fixes difficult & time-consuming

The visual ability to drag & drop selected text (as in eg MS Word) is there, but the /action/ doesn't do anything. Pease either remove the visual or fix the action!

'Leading' (space between lines) isn't consistent; <shift-enter> allows minimal leading; <Enter> by itself produces 1.5x leading (ie for paragraph breaks).. most of the time (table entries tend to show this anomaly). This action should be swapped IMO to lead to more consistent understanding with most editing tools

Losing (visible) cursor after edits.. as above

'Child space'
A good idea, but desperately needs to be made more obvious to the viewer. A standout background colour for the sidebar perhaps? Or simply list the tree branches (links) as plain text (small font), thus making the column wider & more immediately visible..

Ah! Just discovered the >> 'expand sidebar' button; that makes things a lot better but it could be ..umm.. promoted/advertised a little better? Move it to the top of the sidebar so it's immediately visible?

(I am in no way a web dev so common terms to them may be lost on me; very basic HTML is as far as my knowledge goes)

I still don't understand what 'Space tools' are or why they may be accessible to /content/ mods, but I'll hope this is resolved at some point in the future (see above WRT my lack of website experience).. Perhaps a brief guide would help? Wink (If posted on the wiki make it 'mod-accessible' only ofc)

(minor gripe): no spellcheck highlighting for /obvious/ typos; I don't expect Devs to implement a full multi-language checker but something basic would be convenient Smile

All these actions were undertaken in Firefox (Windows) 64, latest version, with Noscript disabled for this site (Adblock+ still running)

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) Cool DxDiag
X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Thu, 18. Feb 16, 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Snafu_X3 wrote:
here appears to be no Wiki page dedicated to problems with the Wiki, so I'll post them here prior to creating such a page..

There is one already: Known issues in the Wiki system

"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." - Isaac Asimov
Snafu_X3

PostPosted: Thu, 18. Feb 16, 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Ah; Tks X2-I - I missed that Embarassed

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) Cool DxDiag
NewtSoup

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Mon, 3. Oct 16, 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Wiki is currently broken. There's a message saying Confluence failed to bootstrap. Has been this way for 2 days now.

Corei5 3570k, 16GB Ram, Z77X-UD3H, ASUS GTX660 TI, Sidewinder FFB2, Windows 10.
ADMNtek

PostPosted: Mon, 3. Oct 16, 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

NewtSoup wrote:
Wiki is currently broken. There's a message saying Confluence failed to bootstrap. Has been this way for 2 days now.

probably has to do with the entire egosoft site being broken over the weekend. i expect a server crash.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

PostPosted: Mon, 3. Oct 16, 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Thanks for reporting.

It may relate to the parallel forum outage that is now fixed.

Devs informed about the wiki problem too.

Edit: Ninjaed Smile