The silence from the devs is making things worse

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Warnoise

Post by Warnoise » Tue, 27. Sep 16, 02:19

Egosoft released amazing games before. They tried to change with Xrebirth, it clearly didn't work. The logical decision to make is to return to their roots and implement what made the X series amazing in the next game's core gameplay and add fresh elements that use the features of the new engine.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Tue, 27. Sep 16, 02:49

Warnoise wrote:Egosoft released amazing games before. They tried to change with Xrebirth, it clearly didn't work. The logical decision to make is to return to their roots and implement what made the X series amazing in the next game's core gameplay and add fresh elements that use the features of the new engine.
They are caught between the rock and the hard place. Until Rebirth they never attempted to rewrite their core engine except various graphics face lifts. So, the entire simulation core was running on some really ugly interpreter that was single threaded by design and kinda reminded me my own first experiments with coding :p that coincidently took place at about the same time (1990s) . With Rebirth they finally managed to rewrite it but they got carried away with adding/changing gameplay elements and ended up with this whole single ship not doing what you want debacle. I bet they won't be able to find resources for another rewrite and the code from last milenium you can only patch so much. So we will end up with some derivative of Rebirth where they would desperately try to patch the obvious design deficiencies. "Can fly more than 3 ships" rumor is a good example of what we might end up with. It might be still ugly. But then if they'd released Rebirth in the shape it took by 4.0, it would be a good start for improvements :) I mean it took 4 major patches to figure out we need a BBS and SETA and JD. I skipped all earlier patches and I find it actually pretty decent.

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Tue, 27. Sep 16, 04:52

It's nice that, in addition to voting with our wallet, we can also vote with the mods that are popular. Never Enter Stations Again, Yisha STFU, etc., think they got the message? Or are we being too subtle?

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Tue, 27. Sep 16, 05:00

Baced on what we know it will be used with XR engine so it will be basically XR on steroids. We will be able to fly S/M sizes ships. Also im pretty sure new systems will look more like DLC's systems. Less highways and more open space(I like that). Baced what we have seen with XR development new features will be buggy and unfinished becuse they need to start coding from scratch(thats why i suggested large number of people testing it as well as devs fixing them). I hope im wrong but their records shows otherwise.

Note that in past 3 years XR was fixed but there is still lots of problems with it. So if they want to build another stand alone game it will probably take them 6 or more years if everything goes acording to plan. If not they will probably spend another 3 years fixing it ;)

So it is logical to use XR as base to build upon it and that is whats worry me a lot. If they couldn't fix main problems in XR will they be in next title as well ?
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Tue, 27. Sep 16, 05:38

Nikola515 wrote:Baced on what we know it will be used with XR engine so it will be basically XR on steroids. We will be able to fly S/M sizes ships. Also im pretty sure new systems will look more like DLC's systems. Less highways and more open space(I like that). Baced what we have seen with XR development new features will be buggy and unfinished becuse they need to start coding from scratch(thats why i suggested large number of people testing it as well as devs fixing them). I hope im wrong but their records shows otherwise.

Note that in past 3 years XR was fixed but there is still lots of problems with it. So if they want to build another stand alone game it will probably take them 6 or more years if everything goes acording to plan. If not they will probably spend another 3 years fixing it ;)

So it is logical to use XR as base to build upon it and that is whats worry me a lot. If they couldn't fix main problems in XR will they be in next title as well ?
You are really hyperboling it. They don't need to rewrite the engine, so I would venture to say they can put out X4 in a not too far future.

Now, I have not seen anyone write about my #1 gripe against XR:

Why can't I interrupt a conversation and issue command while under attack? Every time fighters are attacking my ship, but because someone is in the middle of their talk, I can't issue any command!!!!! (I know someone points me to a workaround but it does not work all the time!!!!

If this bug is still in X4, I am out!!! :-)

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Tue, 27. Sep 16, 06:07

The entire reason ES went through the trouble of an engine rewrite is because the old engine had reached the limits of what they could build on top of it. So don't you think the developers' first design goal when writing this new engine is to give it superior expandability than its predecessor?
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Assailer
x4

Post by Assailer » Tue, 27. Sep 16, 06:23

I was testing my missionary mod yesterday where i had to assign commanders to individual ships (like 10 of them). It was a tiny bit frustrating to wait for all the ping-pong conversations :)

At least this chat queue feature makes a 'mod-writer' think twice before testing a script modification!
Last edited by Assailer on Tue, 27. Sep 16, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

Kagora

Post by Kagora » Tue, 27. Sep 16, 06:39

Nikola515 wrote:Good point ;)

Now you take look at Elite Dangerous,Star Citizen,Star Point Gemini 2 and now Warlords,7 days to die and many more..... They are all small teams that managed to pull miracles with their games do to help of community and their feedback and support. Star Citizen would be best example of how small team of devs have grown to AAA with help and support of their community. Also ideas and suggestions that i have seen from some player is mind blowing.... Some say that they are only after money but only time will tell.... I think if Ego share their ideas and what they want to accomplish might help them get enough or even more support to expand in to the new level ;)
Many cooks can spoil the broth.I think it has been mentioned here already several times that one reason
for the "walking in Stations" implementation in XR have been suggestions from the community.
And up until now you still have people suggesting that Egosoft should add First-Person Shooter
Elements to the next X-Game.
Listen to them and never mind the feasibility !

Now you take a look:
Elite Dangerous A mile wide and an inch deep;
Star Citizen: A business model where they take all, even the silliest Suggestions(a Kitchenette, a shower cabin
or a whirlpool in the captains quarters of your flying camping van)from the community and sell it back as
small tech demos or ships for hard cash.All this While the game itself only exists in the Imagination of the Fans.
Quite an incentive to take all suggestions seriously.
SPG Warlords: These are really a bunch of honest developers.No hysterical hype and false promises.
Alas it has been already confirmed that the new elements like mining, Use of raw materials, Use of Fleet-Ships
and Fleet Management will be "separated" from the Core-Gameplay.
That is:Flying around and shooting/mission grinding, to get a bigger ship -> rinse and repeat.
The other new Gameplay Elements in Warlords:Push the Button and
watch passively whats happening.Otherwise it would get to "complicated".
The good old shallow Console-Gameplay Feeling, there you go again.

If it turns out that the new x-Game is an improved Version of XR where I can fly 4 ships instead of
one, then I already have a selection of similar "pew-pew" shooters without a "steep learning curve" to choose
from.
I will wait for the final Product and if it only slightly smells like XR/Console I wont buy it !

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Tue, 27. Sep 16, 13:52

VincentTH wrote: My #1 gripe against XR:

Why can't I interrupt a conversation and issue command while under attack?
Conversations completely disable your control in this game. No workaround, other than trying to delete all audio files so that the length of the conversations is 0. To me it looks like an engine limitation (as if all audio conversations are cutscenes - cutscenes normally take away player control), so I think it's very likely that it'll be in X4 and the next X games based on this engine.

Egosoft will probably look into minimizing conversations and/or only having conversations when we're on-station (i.e. no more over the phone). To avoid the issue. Not fixable, though.

At least, that's what I think.

bambikaka

Post by bambikaka » Tue, 27. Sep 16, 15:57

you all grown so attached to this "engine limitation" stuff. c'mon, its only PR, even pre-made engines like unity or UR4 does NOT have limitations as you can buy full support and source code with it and whatever limits you, you can change or ask them to change it. in computer programming really only your fantasy and abilities can be limiting. whenever you read: "we cant do this or that because of limitations" just read it like: "sry guy we dont want to do this"...

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 27. Sep 16, 16:54

You really are out of touch to reality, yes ANYTHING is possible you just have to want it enough. Seriously... :roll:

MFG

Ketraar

bambikaka

Post by bambikaka » Tue, 27. Sep 16, 17:05

Ketraar wrote:You really are out of touch to reality, yes ANYTHING is possible you just have to want it enough. Seriously... :roll:

MFG

Ketraar
oO. wasnt it discussing my PERSON? I thought its outruled on this forum. well, if you want to go personal, you are talking to a guy designing and developing softwares for nearly 20 years now, I think I have enough view on what is possible and what isnt... so... who is out of touch to reality?... ohh, and no, its not enough to want it, you have to actually put some work into it. exactly what didnt happen either with AI or UI or generally, other than space art with anything in XR. The AI scripts are on such level a 5yo could do it better...

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 27. Sep 16, 18:05

That's enough. Crying that you have been personally attacked when pretty much every post you make includes an insult or insinuation about someone else's abilities or understanding is not going to wash.

Since this thread seems to have run it's course anyway, I will lock it. In future, though, if you continue to poison other people's threads with your unpleasant comments then you will find your posts removed.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”