X rebirth a good start for X-4 ?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Thu, 8. Sep 16, 23:44

I hate the Skunk because Egosoft is pushing, literally, the Piece of Junk Cool Starship trope down our throats.

And I hate its shape. It's ugly, and it can't possibly be standing on those two legs it has, or be flying oriented like it is, tilted down and with the engines at the top.

It also suffers from the no sense of scale trope. Like the Millenium Falcon, actually. Judging by its interior size, compared to a human, the whole ship is the cockpit. M3 sized at best. From the outside, though, it's described as an M6. Still M3-sized at best, though.

It's laughable, especially as it's possible to do an EVA walk in the spacesuit right next to the Hyperion or the Centaur in X3:AP, and see the true size of an M6.

EDIT: The Skunk is actually mentioned in the rustbucket Cool Ship category, if you click the Video Games section under the article text, to expand it. Congrats Egosoft.

ADMNtek
x4

Post by ADMNtek » Fri, 9. Sep 16, 01:56

ajax34i wrote:I hate the Skunk because Egosoft is pushing, literally, the Piece of Junk Cool Starship trope down our throats.

And I hate its shape. It's ugly, and it can't possibly be standing on those two legs it has, or be flying oriented like it is, tilted down and with the engines at the top.

It also suffers from the no sense of scale trope. Like the Millenium Falcon, actually. Judging by its interior size, compared to a human, the whole ship is the cockpit. M3 sized at best. From the outside, though, it's described as an M6. Still M3-sized at best, though.

It's laughable, especially as it's possible to do an EVA walk in the spacesuit right next to the Hyperion or the Centaur in X3:AP, and see the true size of an M6.

EDIT: The Skunk is actually mentioned in the rustbucket Cool Ship category, if you click the Video Games section under the article text, to expand it. Congrats Egosoft.
yea and for some reason all the ships in X:AP have a crew of 1.
and the millennium falcons interior fits inside there are layouts you can find online. same goes for the skunk just check the picture i linked earlier.
also complaining about the engine placement is just pointless. none of the ships in this game could move in space or have you seen any navigation thrusters same goes for all the other X games.
and show me a space sim that hasn't a completely messed up sense scale.

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Fri, 9. Sep 16, 07:03

ADMNtek wrote:also complaining about the engine placement is just pointless. none of the ships in this game could move in space or have you seen any navigation thrusters same goes for all the other X games.
If you go fly an M3/4/5 in X3 and you move at 10m/s you will see manoeuvring thrusters fire when you move to the left or right. The effect is just harder to see when you are moving faster.

And placing your engines off-center isn't a problem. It has been done before.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Fri, 9. Sep 16, 07:10

UniTrader wrote:
Nikola515 wrote: its small size (i dont think it is even 30m long)....
well, the Engines are almost 34m "behind" the Player and 10m "above" - taking into account that these are the respective center points of the Engines and the Player, not their Edges, i would say its in fact about 36m to 40m long.
Still it is nowhere near sizes of M6.... Katana in the other hand should be M6 but it seems somewhat small in XR ? All though they did take all of its turrets out.... I would love to see designs of M6 in next title especially if they make interiors. As long as they don't end up like skunk :roll:
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Fri, 9. Sep 16, 09:03

As i am qualified to answer asset questions :D

Skunk: 28,7 x 43,5 x 15.7 (with/ length/ height)
Katana: 40 x 102 x 16
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Fri, 9. Sep 16, 14:28

Ok, so out of the volume given by those dimensions for the Skunk, how much is the cockpit, how much is the ramp and the little area to the side where up to 15 crew can sit (modified), how much is the completely useless drone box that's open to space at all times, and where can we fit the actual crew quarters and engine room?

It doesn't feel like my avatar is walking 40 meters from the cockpit to down the ramp. It doesn't feel like my avatar's average human 2 meter height compares well with the Skunk's 15 meters height.

And that's what I mean with the Millenium Falcon too. Humans are too big for the outside dimensions of the ship. In-game, Ebon Hawk, humans are too big for the dimensions of that ship.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Fri, 9. Sep 16, 17:20

linolafett wrote:As i am qualified to answer asset questions :D

Skunk: 28,7 x 43,5 x 15.7 (with/ length/ height)
Katana: 40 x 102 x 16
Thanks Lino :D
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Fri, 9. Sep 16, 17:31

ajax34i wrote:Ok, so out of the volume given by those dimensions for the Skunk, how much is the cockpit, how much is the ramp and the little area to the side where up to 15 crew can sit (modified), how much is the completely useless drone box that's open to space at all times, and where can we fit the actual crew quarters and engine room?

It doesn't feel like my avatar is walking 40 meters from the cockpit to down the ramp. It doesn't feel like my avatar's average human 2 meter height compares well with the Skunk's 15 meters height.

And that's what I mean with the Millenium Falcon too. Humans are too big for the outside dimensions of the ship. In-game, Ebon Hawk, humans are too big for the dimensions of that ship.
Majority of length went to bosters so there is only little room for living quarters. I think Ego did this intentionally to make it smaller target when in combat. That is pretty much limitations to one ship that have to be all ships in one.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”