X3:AP Sound loop crash *SOLUTION* (Asus Xonar)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Nara
x3tc

X3:AP Sound loop crash *SOLUTION* (Asus Xonar)

Post by Nara » Mon, 30. Sep 13, 16:05

I was having a very consistent crashing problem whereby the game would freeze with a sound loop, and was at a loss after going through all the suggested solutions here involving codecs and such. The crash would happen whenever I got into a largeish fight.

I thought I would post the solution here in case anyone else is having the same problem.

It affects users of the Asus Xonar DX card (maybe all Xonar cards). The solution is to go into the Xonar control panel and turn off GX via the button on the right hand side. GX is a mode the emulates EAX but unfortunately crashes some games.

Since doing this I've had hours of crash free play. Hope this helps.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 30. Sep 13, 17:27

Thanks for sharing that tip. :thumb_up: This is actually something noted fairly long ago in the Common Problems and Resolutions Sticky, but then people with issues sometimes don't read the advice threads thoroughly when in a bit of a panic! Your post may help others in that situation.
Updating Device Drivers.

Besides keeping your OS up to date, it is recommended that you keep your graphics and audio drivers fully up to date to take advantage of current OS and Service Pack optimisations. For such peripheral devices, use the sites for your system manufacturer or the device/chipset manufacturer involved (the latter is usually the more up to date) to look for updates for your OS-version device rather than rely on Windows Update to try to keep you up to date.

If you have legacy or no-longer supported devices it may be time to consider upgrading if the outputs are not acceptable. Some specific issues with X-games may exist with some hardware device options (eg ASUS Xonar soundcard GX and its associated codecs) and these will be identified to you when you report the issue.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

scav_n_ger
x3ap

Post by scav_n_ger » Wed, 24. Aug 16, 16:58

Oh it worked.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 24. Aug 16, 17:11

Yes, a golden oldie from the problems and solutions Sticky thread that probably still applies to X games and Xonar sound.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”