Pokemon Go

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Tue, 26. Jul 16, 09:04

You can capture pokemons as often as they appear. They do appear on all phones nearby at the same time and everyone has a chance to catch one. If you capture it first, its still there for everyone to catch.
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 26. Jul 16, 09:58

mrbadger wrote:About this walking to hatch eggs thing.

We had to take the bus today. My wife opened Pokemon go, and it showed us as moving along the road. In fact we caught two Pokemon on the way home. I'm pretty certain it's not supposed to work like that.

Don't know how you get the eggs to try and hatch while we're on the bus, generally it needs our daughter along to play the thing, because its her game, just not on her phone.
You can play the game on the bus / train / whatever grabbing pokestops and catching critters as you travel. However the egg hatching mechanic does not count any distance traveled at over 20mph.
Its also broken as hell on the less than 20mph front, I happen to know exactly what certain distances near my house are because I they are part of my running routes. . . . it routinely counts these distances as less than half their true distance!
Jericho wrote:Once you have captured a pokemon, can you recapture it? I'm just wondering about getting it for Jericho Junior (he's just turned 3), so we can play on the way to the park etc or at other parks. I don't want to use up the few that might be around me...
They do also respawn, so you can catch the same one in the same spot over and over. Although I have no idea how long it takes, I have a Pikachu in a park near work. . . I catch that sucker every day
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Tue, 26. Jul 16, 10:50

Thanks for the info guys, will give it a go and see what he can find. He already hides from the tickle-monster, so I don't want to terrify him.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Tue, 26. Jul 16, 11:44

So this is how the eggs thing work.

It pings your location every 60 seconds and compared it to the old one.

This is a STRAIGHT LINE check.

Then the distance in the line is counted against any eggs.

Any distance over a certain amount is not counted (i.e you are traveling in a car or other transport).

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 26. Jul 16, 13:19

Antilogic wrote: Any distance over a certain amount is not counted (i.e you are traveling in a car or other transport).
Unless you're travelling in a car round a typical inner-city one-way system, of course, where you might drive 2 miles to cover 100 yards... :wink:

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 26. Jul 16, 13:20

Could some one explain to me the actual game mechanics? Or is this literally the ultimate walking simulator?

I keep hearing it being called a video game, but none has yet managed to explain the game part of this thing. I really would like to understand the mechanics and the progression of this game. So far it seems to be like the Panini sticker collection but that is hardly a game.

MFG

Ketraar

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Tue, 26. Jul 16, 15:47

All I know is it encourages people to break the laws of trespass and using a mobile device whilst driving, therefore its an incredibly bloody stupid idea.
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Tue, 26. Jul 16, 15:49

TSM wrote:All I know is it encourages people to break the laws of trespass and using a mobile device whilst driving, therefore its an incredibly bloody stupid idea.
Rofl. Sure, whatever. ^^

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Tue, 26. Jul 16, 15:56

Antilogic wrote:
TSM wrote:All I know is it encourages people to break the laws of trespass and using a mobile device whilst driving, therefore its an incredibly bloody stupid idea.
Rofl. Sure, whatever. ^^
I assume by your response you think its ok to stop on one of the UK's busiest motorways just to catch a pokemon then?
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 26. Jul 16, 16:06

TSM wrote:I assume by your response you think its ok to stop on one of the UK's busiest motorways just to catch a pokemon then?
Stupid person does stupid thing whilst playing a game
Blame the game and not the person.
FFS this is basically the same logic as the "GTA turns kids into murders!!"
Ketraar wrote:Could some one explain to me the actual game mechanics? Or is this literally the ultimate walking simulator?

I keep hearing it being called a video game, but none has yet managed to explain the game part of this thing. I really would like to understand the mechanics and the progression of this game. So far it seems to be like the Panini sticker collection but that is hardly a game.

MFG

Ketraar
You've basically got it, its a silly game.
You walk around and as you walk you can Pokemon appear and you can catch them. There are various ways you can increas your chances of both finding them and ctaching them.

There are also gyms where you can set your Pokemon to fighting other Pokemon, the combat is incredibly simplistic, basically button mashing . . . the rewards for these battles are pokecoins which you can use to . . . . yep get stuff to help you catch more Pokemon.
It's basically one dimensional, its about catching them all. :roll:
Sticker album that makes you walk to get the stickers is a good analogy actually.

Edit: In other news, stockbrokers are stupid. You'd think it would be their job to understand corporate relationships. . . . . apparently not.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/25/12269 ... pokemon-go
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 26. Jul 16, 16:53

I know of it... and I have 29 of those pokemon critters. That and it eats the battery

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Tue, 26. Jul 16, 16:53

Bishop149 wrote:
TSM wrote:I assume by your response you think its ok to stop on one of the UK's busiest motorways just to catch a pokemon then?
Stupid person does stupid thing whilst playing a game
Blame the game and not the person.
FFS this is basically the same logic as the "GTA turns kids into murders!!"
Exactly. Idiots will idiot, they don't need the game as an excuse. Some random person trespassing on an A road might not get anyones attention apart from maybe highway services and the police BUT WAIT THEY HAD POKEMON ON THEIR PHONE CALL THE MEDIA!

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 26. Jul 16, 16:57

Ketraar wrote:Could some one explain to me the actual game mechanics? Or is this literally the ultimate walking simulator?

MFG

Ketraar

In addition to above, it's sort of exploratory territory control game.

Exploration comes from visiting pre-made sights. Usually city landmarks and just "things" to see.

Territory control is through controlling other more important landmarks for profits. Those things they call "gyms".

The above encourage walking and exploring, to visit the most places, to find most pokemons as you go, control the most gyms.

This game reminds me a lot of their previous one, called Ingris. That is a much heavier territory control game, where two teams fight it out for controlling of landmarks and areas around them. Pokemon Go seems to use same data too.

That's all I got from it so far.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Tue, 26. Jul 16, 18:04

Bishop149 wrote:FFS this is basically the same logic as the "GTA turns kids into murders!!"
Well, not pointing any fingers, but a friend of mine played a lot of chess and draughts in school. Now he became a floor tiler. So there may be some truth to it after all.

On a more serious note, everyone should ask themself why the pokemon go developers want people to go outside. For me this is a classic gateway drug method: First get people addicted to a seemingly harmless (maybe even beneficial) activity. Then when people are hooked on it, introduce the more serious and costly drugs. Apparently there was a first test run in the USA already, which was well-received. Unsurprisingly the media coverage on this was relative low, but you can get some first impressions here.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Tue, 26. Jul 16, 18:22

INstalled it on my Samsung A3. Not the greatest phone ever invented. Not the worst.

I walk around the corner to post a letter and buy some bread. Phone vibrates and lets me know there is a pokemon near me. I can make out its exact location on the map, yet there is nothing there on my camera phone. It is telling me to throw a ball, but there is nothing there.

Walk a bit further, more vibrations. I'm watching the map, and there is a 30 second delay, also it thinks I am walking through people's gardens.

"No GPS signal..." is the recurring message of the day, as I rubber-band around the map like a 1998 game of EverQuest over 33.6 modem dial-up.

More pokemon right where I'm standing... Zilch on my camera. I throw a ball, and capture a green turtle thing... apparently.

I was under the impression that the things would be appearing on my camera, hence the augmented reality aspect.

Also I think my phone lacks an axis of detection, as the game told me it couldn't work out which way my phone was facing. So maybe that's the problem?

When the hell did I turn into my mum?
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 26. Jul 16, 19:28

Jericho wrote: I was under the impression that the things would be appearing on my camera, hence the augmented reality aspect.
They should be. Do you mean that your camera activates but it doesnt draw a pokemon? Maybe there's an issue with the app on your phone.

I actually turned off that specific feature, and it instead draws pokemon on a green background.

Jericho wrote: Also I think my phone lacks an axis of detection, as the game told me it couldn't work out which way my phone was facing. So maybe that's the problem?
That could maybe explain it. On top right corner in the "camera" mode there's a switch to turn it into not a camera mode, then it'll just show ya a pokemon regardless of your facing. Try that
Jericho wrote: When the hell did I turn into my mum?
Your mom plays pokemon? ))

X2-Illuminatus wrote:but you can get some first impressions here.
Can this be done with Vodka?...

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Tue, 26. Jul 16, 19:46

fiksal wrote:
Of course. The industry is adapting fast.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 26. Jul 16, 20:59

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
fiksal wrote:
Of course. The industry is adapting fast.
I havent seen the full video yet (at this moment of time), but I like where it's going!

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Wed, 27. Jul 16, 01:46

I find the game quite engaging. The premise is catching them all, to create a fighting squad, Pokemons have different Combat Power, even of the same class, and will gain more Combat Power via evolutions and leveling them up. To improve Combat Power you use Stardust and candies, both drop when you capture pokemon. Stardust is generic but candies are specific to each Pokemon. Also as you gain levels as a Pokemon trainer, pokemons with higher combat power will appear.

Gyms is where you get the in game currency and fight with other people pokemons, button mashing as said before, but gyms can gain levels, the more levels, the more pokemon it can hold and the harder to conquer for your team. I have acircuit where I conquer 3 Gyms and claim 30 gold coins, 10 from each, cooldown for next claim is 24 hours.

Walking, you do not want to expend real money? You need to walk, pokeballs and potions are collected at pokestops, 3 or 4 items per pokestop, cooldown of a few minutes. Otherwise you buy them with real money in the shop, remember you need to keep capturing pokemons to get stardust and candies, easy to use 30 or 40 pokeballs a day.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 27. Jul 16, 02:28

It does seem to follow the grinding concepts of low key social games, as you say basically the goal of this so called game is to play it, there is no failing, there is no realization, just levels and grinding. Hmm intriguing... sounds a lot a like a typical pyramid scheme. :gruebel:

MFG

Ketraar

Return to “Off Topic English”