A few questions regarding X Rebirth from a new player

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Choub890

A few questions regarding X Rebirth from a new player

Post by Choub890 » Mon, 25. Apr 16, 15:29

Hey all!

I just bought X Rebirth on Steam since I was looking for a new space game and heard good things about this one (since the update 4 of course). I had a few questions about it:

1) I understand that we only have 1 ship to fly, but will have the possibility to buy several other ship to follow us on our journey (capital ships, destroyers, etc), is this correct?

2) I also saw that our own ship (albion skunk) is not very upgradeable (only 5 tiers of engines/shields and 2 tiers of weapons). If we are able to buy other bigger ships (question 1), are those more upgradeable/customizable than the albion skunk?

3) It is kind of a hassle to take the highways for 5-10 min each time I need to go somewhere, is there a better/faster way to go somewhere? I think I read somewhere that SETA and/or a jump drive were available?

4) I am currently doing the campain (thought it would be good for learning before going to sandbox mode) and all the PMC attack me on sight. This makes it pretty hard for me to go somewhere or enter certain stations. Is this normal? Is there something I can do against that?

5) After jumping back into Albion from DeVries for the first time, the first Capital Ship I had is no longer in the Albion system. Did I lose the ship? Why?

Thanks for your time :)

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 25. Apr 16, 16:11

1. Yes indeed - you can amass quite a fleet, in fact. There are various capital ships, some mercantile, some combat, and a few with more or less hybrid function.

2. Sadly, no. The other ships you get have preset weapon loadouts - you have the option to only partially (or not at all) fill various shield and weapon slots, bur except in situations of extreme poverty, there's absolutely no reason to do so. You get to equip very scalable numbers of drones aboard your ships, but alas they are of dubious value (the combat ones, at any rate - the economic ones work fine and are crucial)

3. SETA is craftable from 4 inventory items, and there's no required time-stamp or mission to do so - it's available from start (but the different pieces' probability distribution is not geographically uniform - ie. the different pieces all have particular systems they're most likely to drop in) The JumpDrive is a relatively late-game thing - in fact, in a campaign game the mission (unlike SETA, there is a set of missions for this) only appears once the main plot is completed, and it requires considerable collecting of rare drops. The personal JumpDrive is a VERY powerful means of travel. However, there is another way to avoid highways (I personally more or less detest them, myself) - hitch a ride on a capital ship (that you own.) Simply dock at one of your capital ships and order the ship captain to take you somewhere. Here tastes/needs differ - some players mostly get around on a freighter, overseeing that ship's trading, some players prefer a small and agile combat frigate to get around in, some players don't mind slower travel in favour of flying around on their flagship - most players do more than one of these during the course of a game.

4. PMC hostility is part of the plot (a bit like having Liberty gunning for you back in Freelancer). The obstacles this poses are merely part of the challenge. Note the dollowing: PMC will attack your COMBAT assets on sight, but will leave your civilian assets alone - thus, your capital freighters, miners, and builders can operate quite freely (though, of course, they still can't dock at PMC stations.) You can also move undisturbed through PMC-policed space if you travel aboard a freighter.

5. Your Rahanas capital freighter (and any other assets) do vanish at that point in the game, as they were "confiscated by PMC".
Spoiler
Show
You will get that ship, and anything else you may have had confiscated, a bit later in the campaign. TIP: When you do, do yourself a favour and check that the ship's engineer is in "Repair" mode, instead of "None" - this will almost certainly be the case, it's a known bug. To fix, simply dock to that ship, recall that engineer, then assign him/her again.
ADDITIONAL: Here's an important piece of advice for any Egosoft space game: take your time in the campaign, don't rush it, don't feel bullied into following the mission marker. The objectives are virtually never time limited, so go ahead and build up your economy between missions - this will stand you in good stead later down the line, both for the campaign, and for the post-campaign sandbox.

Good hunting! :)
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

RodentofDoom
x4

Post by RodentofDoom » Tue, 26. Apr 16, 05:28

PMC not liking you is a bonus.
Board their L/XL ships .. and expand your empire at their expense.
however do this in zones where PMC don't have stations, makes it easier.

There's a few mods I find really useful
- YAT
- Ship recycle
- TAF
- Mission Computer

and several other 'balance/fix' mods.

martimus
x4

Post by martimus » Tue, 26. Apr 16, 05:53

RodentofDoom wrote:PMC not liking you is a bonus.
Board their L/XL ships .. and expand your empire at their expense.
however do this in zones where PMC don't have stations, makes it easier.

There's a few mods I find really useful
- YAT
- Ship recycle
- TAF
- Mission Computer

and several other 'balance/fix' mods.
PMC is the best source of fully loaded and drone stocked mining ships in the game. You can get a Fedhelm in the empty space between cuspid splint and cold peaks at pretty much any time. Also if you wait by the jump beacon in cuspid splint, you can take any ship they have that jumps in there, which are often Midirs and high value tech transports. I ended up building a construction yard, ship tech lab, and crystal supplier there with the material gained from PMC booty.

Cuspid Splint is great because there are a lot of PMC factories nearby that sell to the ship yard there, and gas miners that sell to the cell fab there, but no actual PMC stations in zone, so the locals don't care about you stealing their capitals. Just set up near the jump beacon, and be ready to take out their engines in the time between jumping and them boosting away.
Last edited by martimus on Tue, 26. Apr 16, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Tue, 26. Apr 16, 06:59

martimus wrote:...and high value tech transports...
Indeed - it's not uncommon to grab a Rahanas or Sanahar carrying high-tech, ship-tech, or arms-tech worth up to 80 million creds (even more is possible, in fact, though quite unusual.)
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Choub890

Post by Choub890 » Thu, 28. Apr 16, 15:42

Thanks for your answers guys, those were very helpful :)

A few more questions:

1) I'm at the point in the game where I have to cross back into Albion for the first time (from DeVries) and yesterday night when playing I wanted to take your advice and not rush too much and just explore/get some money for upgrades etc. Unfortunately, I only found 2-3 easy missions not giving out to many credits about exploding some mine fields and destroying a few Raiders. What else can I do at this point to get a bit more money?

2) I tried buying a capital ship at a shipyard but they already had one constructing (dealer was busy with another NPC order). After waiting a bit, I saw that the construction was still stuck at 0%, and until that ship is built, I can't ask for him to build one for me. Is this scripted in the main plot as well (can't get one before a certain point?)?

3) In combat, I can't seem to evade anything even when strafing. Am I missing something here?

Thanks

pref
x4

Post by pref » Thu, 28. Apr 16, 16:08

At that point when you are stuck in DV you dont have much access to anything. DV has no production, so you wont be able to trade or supply any ship production (and their shipyard was always lacking resources in my games).

Also population is scarce, so you cant get many missions there.
Imo you need to get back to some more advanced parts of the universe to make money.

Also skunk upgrades will be available when advancing the plot/exploring unknown parts, and only that can help you in combat.

Not sure if there are other gates open already, you could try to make a fortune someplace else before returning to albion. Failing that you can make more in Albion even with a hostile PMC then in DV.
Plus your PMC reputation is locked, which is a real nice benefit if you can manage a few boarding ops.

Regarding strafing: some weapons have a real high fire rate, no way to dodge that except for a quick boost or cover. Better shields will help this, but a bigger fighter swarm will always overwhelm the skunk, you will have to make quick (and not frontal) attack runs then get out of their range. Or get railgun, thats almost like a cheat.

donzi
x4

Post by donzi » Thu, 28. Apr 16, 16:19

1) trades can bump up your available cash more quickly. the loot the skunk can carry can be sold to vendors on stations.

I'm sure some missions might be okay too, I just never have focused vary much on them beyond some of the important ones the plot game offers.

Scanning for locked containers in space can be a nice loot source too. <menu> <mode> <long range scanner>

2) this is a resource problem with the factory. if you investigate the station and/or smalltalk a trade agent on the shipyard you'll be able to better discern what the ship construction has stalled on.

if you happen to have a trade ship you can try and buy the needed ware and deliver it to the shipyard.

(more advanced approach)

a marine officer can help big too. you'll need to scrounge around and buy/sell loot the skunk can carry to afford this maybe, but then get a full complement of marines for the officer. This allows you to try and board / steal cap ships.

the plot is probably a better way to go for now though, it will have a tutorial sort of boarding mission.

At the stage of the plot you're at I think it's better to go along without cap ships and explore, trade on stations with the vendors and save up cash for the future (plot related stages which come quickly but require buying things).

3) the initial configuration on the skunk will make dogfights a lot tougher. better approach is to stay behind the enemy fighter you want to take out. the autopilot can help make this happen a bit easier (get practice doing target -> autopilot on/off -> etc to get the hang of switching/aquiring enemy targets and using the autopilot to pull you in behind them

..also experiemt with missles and use them. they're limited capacity on the skunk so if not selling them for cash, uses them, or both.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Thu, 28. Apr 16, 17:53

Some of the following has already been mentioned by others.

1. The point you describe is definitely the poorest (financially) in the campaign. At the risk of minor spoilering, go back to Albion and resolve some stuff there, it will help you out with some of what you will need. Other than that, probably the most lucrative way to go about making money at this point (or any point, really) is to deep-space scan for lockboxes - you'll find yourself making tons of money, plenty more than enough to finance a boarding team and some trade ships. I would advise STRONGLY AGAINST trying to find the Teladi system or such at this point - not only will you be "cheating" in a sense, and thus unbalancing your campaign experience, but it's been known to occasionally cause weird glitches (for instance, I once made the mistake of popping into the Teladi system too early, once it was open, just to explore the immediate area around the gate there, and it caused an unfixable problem that forced me to go back to an earlier save) - bad idea.

An alternative approach (but only applicable if you ever restart the campaign - it's too late now) is to make some capital before you ever leave Albion in the first place. Ie. "take it slow with the campaign" right from the start. To me, the main advantage of this approach is that I generally get to DeVries with a highly upgraded Skunk.

2. Donzi has covered this quite well - you will need to supply that station with whatever it's missing for construction - it might be Reinforced Metal Plating, in which case you're somewhat up a certain creek, and will need to wait until you solve the RMP issue (you'll get to that soon enough) in general. I assume you are referring to the shipyard in Darned Hot Air -there is an alternative available to you: you could buy something at the Heart of Albion shipyard in Gemstone Manufacture. In fact, later on you'll likely find yourself a regular customer there, as you will need Albion construction vessels, which you can't buy from the PMC shipyard.

3. Also as others have mentioned, if your ship is not much upgraded at this point, your best bet is to pick your battles carefully. The plasma repeaters and pulsed masers that are very common among enemy ships have high rates of fire and, even more significantly, high shot speeds - your're simply not going to dodge these. Ever. So you need strong shields, a fast engine, and fairly aggressive use of your booster. Something you can do to reduce the number of incoming shots is to use interceptor or intrepid drones, as they will act as decoys - some enemies will target them instead of you. However, only do this when you can afford to replace losses (which you WILL take.) Another VERY useful drone is the Shield Support Drone - I highly recommend these (personally, I nowadays use Behemoth shields with 4 of these shield drones, which I deploy fairly aggressively.) These drones will recharge your shields quickly, even while under fire, and are seldom shot down (though incoming missiles that snag them do pop them - but they're cheap to replace.) Besides the obvious advantage of vastly improving the shield recharge, there's also the fact that you will be able to get more use out of your booster (since it is fuelled by your shields.)

Good hunting!
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

martimus
x4

Post by martimus » Thu, 28. Apr 16, 18:17

Knowing where you are, I agree that your best course of action is probably to continue the plot until you complete the boarding operation. That will give you a tutorial on how to board, and give you a great combat capital ship as well. Most people sell the ship, but I keep it as it is much harder to get outside of the plot mission.

As for boarding, the biggest help I can give you is that most ships have a blind spot right behind the engines, so it is usually a good idea to boost there and hang out while you destroy the engines of the ship you are boarding. Then move out of the blind spot to take out the jump drive, and move back whenever your shield gets low.

Surface turrets can be taken out at 10km with a novadrone, which will destroy all surface elements (other than capital shield generators) in a large area on the ship with a single shot. Unfortunately, you lose control of the skunk when you use this missile, so starting out 10km is important (as you are a sitting duck). Use the F key to check the boarding resistance of the capital, and Enter, 2, 3, to check your combat strength. If your strength is higher than the boarding resistance you should be able to board, if not damage the hull of the capital until it is.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”