Loot spawning and despawning

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

CommanderTM
xr

Loot spawning and despawning

Post by CommanderTM » Thu, 17. Mar 16, 11:19

I wonder, how this works.

I recently went to a zone i havent been in since the start of my game and, since i use mod that autoloots stuff from my vicinity, i got massive amounts of loot (rare jumpdrive components too). Went to another zones and got loot from there too.

So, it looks like there was big ooz battles sometime when i was not around and left all that loot. Thats probably new in 4.0 - npcs kills leaving loot too since i havent noticed it in 3.6. Maybe im mistaken.

Makes me wonder... will this start to despawn at some time? Should i periodically visit those zones to get loot or i could just let it accumulate and visit after 100 hours to collect it all.

As CBJ(?) said in some post, there are a lot of things in the game that are generated when something outside wants access to it. So, maybe there is just a simple loot count on that zone and, when i visit there, it randomly picks things to give me and their positions.

Will have to test that... save, go to a zone to loot, reload and go to loot again and see if i get different stuff.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Thu, 17. Mar 16, 12:02

NPC vs NPC fights have for a long time been leaving loot, though I doubt from OOZ battles (and yes, now it looks like that may be happening.) As for whether the stuff despawns, that's a YES with all-CAPs. Why? Because the stuff is destroyed pretty quickly - before it used to hang around for ages, but now you have to be pretty quick on your feet (unless you cheat it, of course :P ) I suspect they did this, at least in part, for performance reasons - previously, there could be absurd numbers of containers piling up in space, each of them having to be accounted for by CPU and RAM.
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Thu, 17. Mar 16, 12:06

Does this script open boxes, too? These will regenerate like asteroids i think. Also there are placed boxes near/attached to stations since 4.0 containing valuable loot - maybe these were opened, too..
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

CommanderTM
xr

Post by CommanderTM » Thu, 17. Mar 16, 12:25

UniTrader wrote:Does this script open boxes, too? These will regenerate like asteroids i think. Also there are placed boxes near/attached to stations since 4.0 containing valuable loot - maybe these were opened, too..
It was not in the description. Have to ask the author.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... earchtext=

Now when i read it again, it may be lost in translation kind of thing or wording issue or something like that because author says "Flying around 5-15km to any crates will loot them into Skunk's inventory. ". They may want to imply it opens boxes too.

donzi
x4

Post by donzi » Thu, 17. Mar 16, 12:49

@CommanderTM:

if you're refering to containers which require a cap ship to collect, that has been boosted a lot with 4.00.

Since the pirate factions all fly trade ships (small and large) around stations to taunt fate (and boost away if lucky) I see tons of container spills.

They do seem to get cleaned up (explode) too quickly though. Onlly once was I able to get a cap ship from another zone (within the same sector) to grab a couple containers.

All that extra loot dropped, just to explode fairly quickly seems like a needless burden on the universe. Seems ironic to have it all spill out just to get cleaned up as fast AFAIK as the destroyed ship husks from fights.

CommanderTM
xr

Post by CommanderTM » Thu, 17. Mar 16, 13:13

donzi wrote:@CommanderTM:

if you're refering to containers which require a cap ship to collect, that has been boosted a lot with 4.00.

Since the pirate factions all fly trade ships (small and large) around stations to taunt fate (and boost away if lucky) I see tons of container spills.

They do seem to get cleaned up (explode) too quickly though. Onlly once was I able to get a cap ship from another zone (within the same sector) to grab a couple containers.

All that extra loot dropped, just to explode fairly quickly seems like a needless burden on the universe. Seems ironic to have it all spill out just to get cleaned up as fast AFAIK as the destroyed ship husks from fights.
I was actually talking about loot that Skunk can carry. But thanks for the info on crates.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Loot spawning and despawning

Post by CBJ » Thu, 17. Mar 16, 13:27

CommanderTM wrote:As CBJ(?) said in some post, there are a lot of things in the game that are generated when something outside wants access to it. So, maybe there is just a simple loot count on that zone and, when i visit there, it randomly picks things to give me and their positions.
I think you read too much into what I wrote here. Most of the systems I was referring to which don't work out what's happened until they are observed are actually fairly deterministic. They could in theory include an element of randomness but most of them don't. They're used for working out things like where exactly a ship would be at time X on its predefined flight path, or exactly what would be in a station's cargo after Y hours of production, so that the game doesn't have to constantly update those things. They're not generally used for things like deciding to spawn random loot. :)

CommanderTM
xr

Re: Loot spawning and despawning

Post by CommanderTM » Thu, 17. Mar 16, 14:17

CBJ wrote:
CommanderTM wrote:As CBJ(?) said in some post, there are a lot of things in the game that are generated when something outside wants access to it. So, maybe there is just a simple loot count on that zone and, when i visit there, it randomly picks things to give me and their positions.
I think you read too much into what I wrote here. Most of the systems I was referring to which don't work out what's happened until they are observed are actually fairly deterministic. They could in theory include an element of randomness but most of them don't. They're used for working out things like where exactly a ship would be at time X on its predefined flight path, or exactly what would be in a station's cargo after Y hours of production, so that the game doesn't have to constantly update those things. They're not generally used for things like deciding to spawn random loot. :)
Thanks for claring that up :) Can you tell me more about spawning and despawning of loot?

donzi
x4

Post by donzi » Fri, 18. Mar 16, 04:58

Seems to me the loot dropped from destroyed enemy ships is about the same as ever. 1-4 things pop out which can be scooped up.

The variety also seems more or less the same with expection of the new weapon mod parts (etc) additions.

The lock boxes (long range scanner) generally will have indication of quality/difficulty/content rarity by 'ping color' -- not really sure what the color scale is though.

I assume these are stable until they're found. Cleanup on opened lockboxes is too long IMO. Kind of a pain to ping something and fly a long way to find out it's a box that has already been opened. AFAIK the opened boxes can't be destroyed by the skunk (at least to stop it from being a radar hit).

The 'despawn' seems to be about the same for basic loot the skunk can pickup AFAIk. I always try to scoop it all up when it's close (during/after fights) so not really sure how long it exists.

Bailout ships seem to stay around forever, but maybe several days or longer will clean them up too? The only exception being that sometimes allied NPC will have shots queued (or already fired) up already and will destroy an enemy bailout ship after it's neutral.

Ormac
x4

Post by Ormac » Fri, 18. Mar 16, 06:42

The lockboxes can be destroyed so they don't ping back.
(I'd scoop up the goodies first)

Loot is despawning faster than in 3.61

I'd scoop up all manner of basic loot from raids against the Shady Vault shipyard. I could even leave and come back later and scoop up some more. Now I do hear them going pop if I'm too slow.

Not sure if bailed ships despawn or not. They have previously hung around for a long time.

-- Ormac

solntcev
x4

Post by solntcev » Fri, 18. Mar 16, 09:47

Bailed ships should not despawn, they are neutral and will wait for you forever.
Loot despawns in 5 minutes, if you inzone, you can see individual item/ware containers explode.
Loot is not spawned, it is always left from some skirmish, usually it is pirate figther wings that kill themselfs over station defences.

Big number of ware containers in previous version was caused by capital pirate ships killing traders. In 4.0 they pick up containers after kill. in result: less killing and less floating containers.

my guess is that lockboxes behave like asteroids, spawns randomly in zone and despawn when you leave zone.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”