[PROGRAM] X Plugin Manager : V1.87 : 2024-01-06

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Sun, 24. Jan 16, 01:33

I have the PM on Win10 and it works like a charm.

Try to install it elsewhere than C:\Program Files ; recent versions of Windows tend to be very protective of that folder and interfere.
Right on commander !

jasii100
x4

Post by jasii100 » Sun, 24. Jan 16, 13:27

Geek wrote:I have the PM on Win10 and it works like a charm.

Try to install it elsewhere than C:\Program Files ; recent versions of Windows tend to be very protective of that folder and interfere.
Thanks for the response. I did as you suggested but the problem persists.

I did a little research on the VC++ redistributable - according to the PM install, it is the 2008 version. The 2008 version on my machine was installed early last year way before I installed X3TC, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled PM, letting it run its own packaged VC++ install as well. The entire install went without problem but I still cannot run the PM - no error message, no nothing...just try to start and nothing happens.

I found some info out there that suggests it is possible the problem might be related the fact that I use 64 bit Windows - not a definite root cause, but a possibility at least.

Are you using 64 bit or 32 bit? Also, did you install the PM before you upgraded to Win 10 or after? I have also heard of issues where installations prior to the OS upgrade continued to work but a new post-upgrade install of the same software would not.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Sun, 24. Jan 16, 15:10

I am using Win 10 64 bits too ; new machine though, so it is clean install.
EDIT : since you have found the PM thread, maybe you should try a few suggestions from here, such as deleting the pluginmanager.dat file from "My Documents".
Right on commander !

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 25. Jan 16, 11:54

I wouldn't worry about removing existing VC++ redists, you can download and install them again separately. So you wouldn't have to install the whole game again.

you could also try to download and install them manually, they should be all available on the Microsoft site.

Have you checked event viewer to see if its displaying any error ? (there probably isn't, but its worth checking just in case)

also, is the application running in the background (ie does it appear in task manager)

AL'42
x3tc

Plugin Manager has lost my saves. Help needed to find them!

Post by AL'42 » Tue, 2. Feb 16, 17:25

X3TC (not steam version)

I just installed the plugin manager, changed to modified mode, then back to vanilla but all my saves have disappeared. I can’t get my saves back changing modes now!

Where are the vanilla and modified saves stored as you switch between modes?

Update: I found the vanilla and modified saves for X3AP, they’re in the AP game directory as expected. But if I look in exactly the same directory used for X3TC it all looks the same except there are no saves, the vanilla file is empty (and the modified file doesn’t exist). I’m staggered the plugin manager can remove my saves and not put them somewhere!! What happened?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 2. Feb 16, 18:06

first, are you using the latest version of the plugin manager ?

is the game in installed in program files?

AL'42
x3tc

Post by AL'42 » Tue, 2. Feb 16, 20:36

Hi Cycrow,

Yes, X3TC is in program files.

Version of Plugin Manager 1.531

further information: I'm playing X3TC using the Khaak start by Snowship which made the game and saves modified by default. This was the only change to vanilla TC. When I ran the Plugin Manager the first time it decided the game was in vanilla mode so I changed to modified mode and when I started TC no saves were found, so I reverted back to vanilla mode and still no saves, they just disappeared.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 3. Feb 16, 10:00

thats strange, as the plugin manager copies the saves, not moves them.

so the save games should still have been left in my documents.

its possible that when attempting to copy, windows redirected the files into a virtual folder (this happens often when in program files)

this wouldn't have removed the existing ones thou

jasii100
x4

Post by jasii100 » Sun, 7. Feb 16, 22:21

Cycrow wrote:also, is the application running in the background (ie does it appear in task manager)
While I was trying to work through this, it became clear that somewhere along the line one or more of my installs of VC++ had become corrupted and could not be uninstalled or updated/repaired. Rather than trying to work through that mess with Microsoft, I decided to reinstall Windows from scratch.

Now with my brand new shiny Windows install, I have installed the plugin manager. It is starting but I can only see it running in task manager -I can't get in the app itself. Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious here, but how do I actually run it so that I can use it?

jasii100
x4

Post by jasii100 » Mon, 8. Feb 16, 04:21

Cycrow wrote:also, is the application running in the background (ie does it appear in task manager)
While I was trying to work through this, it became clear that somewhere along the line one or more of my installs of VC++ had become corrupted and could not be uninstalled or updated/repaired. Rather than trying to work through that mess with Microsoft, I decided to reinstall Windows from scratch.

Now with my brand new shiny Windows install, I have installed the plugin manager. It is starting but I can only see it running in task manager -I can't get in the app itself. Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious here, but how do I actually run it so that I can use it?

Edit: I figured it out. I had a little trouble with this part of the instructions from the main install page:
install instructions wrote:Once installed, you need to run the program once to do its initial setup. This is done automatically when running for the first time. It will attempt to find your installed games and add the directories.

If you doesn't find them, you will need to add them manually. Goto the settings menu and select "Add Directory", then browse to your game directory.
I found that when I tried to launch the application, it went straight to a dialog box wanting me to "add directory" by navigating to and selecting the game executable - there was no way to get to the settings menu at that point - the application was already asking me to add the proper directory. This is what was throwing me - I kept trying to figure out how to get to the settings menu when the application is actually smart enough to not need that.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 8. Feb 16, 11:29

yeah if it doesn't find any games at all, then it'll prompt you to select one before it actually runs. This isn't really used much anymore as most of the times its able to detect at least one game so it skips past it. Might need to make that clearer in the instructions

Annette Barret

Post by Annette Barret » Fri, 6. May 16, 09:45

Cycrow,

With reference to my recent post re: TC/AP separation, I am still having problems with PM.

I can install archives and packages to the directory's I have listed. They simply do not appear in the game itself. It remains Vanilla.

(At one point this resulted in my joystick losing functionality. No fire button operation. No left right control, only up or down. (Note the keyboard fire button also failed to operate.) :headbang:

This affected all copies of TC/AP on both drives including my installation of LUV on my E: Drive. (This is where I kept my copies of TC/AP, and modified games.)

So I deleted all my X games from BTF to Rebirth from both my Hard drives, and the complete Steam folder itself.

One very long Re-installation of TC/AP and Steam later, I attempted to install Mars to test the PM.

Again it is listed in the PM APP as being installed and enabled. It still does not appear in the game. (Not marked as Modified.)

(This is also true for a couple of other packages and archives I then used to test PM.)

It is as if the PM is not touching the games at all, despite the fact it appears to be working as you say it should.

I was considering a hard drive reformat, and reinstalling Win 10, but hoped you might have some alternative suggestion's, before I go down that road. :headbang:

I have removed all programs and traces of PM from my computer and reinstalled AP/TC and they are working okay.

Ps; The version of Mars I was attempting to install is the latest version, repacked by Dr Bullwinkle for the PM.

Any help would be appreciated.
The True quest for wisdom begins with accepting you know Nothing!

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 6. May 16, 11:25

Annette Barret wrote:I can install archives and packages to the directory's I have listed. They simply do not appear in the game itself. It remains Vanilla.
Then the Plugin Manager is most-likely not set to modified mode.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 6. May 16, 12:27

have you actually installed the nosteam.exe ?

and have you tried setting the plugin manager to the directory inside steam and installing something there to see if it works ?

It sounds like the directory you are running the game from is different from the directory you are installing mods into

Annette Barret

Post by Annette Barret » Fri, 6. May 16, 14:15

Cycrow,

Re: No steam exe.

Yes I did have that in all copies of AP I had made. (LUV gave clear instructions on its use.)

I tested that when I Installed LUV which worked fine from drive E with the shortcut I put for it on the desk top.

I haven't tried to install mods directly to AP in the steam X3 folder, I am reluctant to do so because of the download time.

At the moment I have two Virgin copies of AP, each in separate folders in Drive E.

As regards the installation directory, when I used the PM I double checked it was pointing at the right copy of the game.

In this case: E:\X3EAP\terranconflict\addon. (With NSE installed.)

So I cannot see how it could install to the steam X3 folder.

Alright, I suppose that since both copies could be used to replace the steam original avoiding a download issue, I should give it a go.

One question before I do that. Do you think I should install PM to Drive E, just in case it is a quirk/feature of Win 10 that is the cause of the problem?

Annette Barret

Post by Annette Barret » Fri, 6. May 16, 14:20

Annette Barret:
I can install archives and packages to the directory's I have listed. They simply do not appear in the game itself. It remains Vanilla.
Then the Plugin Manager is most-likely not set to modified mode.
It is, the first thing I do when opening PM is to set the game to "modified." If this is not done, it warns you if you that you can't install a mod without doing so.

Annette Barret

Post by Annette Barret » Fri, 6. May 16, 15:29

Sorry DP:
Last edited by Annette Barret on Fri, 6. May 16, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.

Annette Barret

Post by Annette Barret » Fri, 6. May 16, 15:32

Cycrow, following your advice.

I have used the following procedure, which was by the way successful.

1. Use a fresh install of AP.

2. Copy it to a new folder in a separate drive.

3. Install the No Steam EXE. to the TC addon folder in C:\programs (86)

4. Run PM and install mods etc. To that folder.

5. Run game from within App, Save then quit. Then close App.

6. Swap folders from E: EAP (Clean copy) and C:\program files (86) (You will need an empty temp folder for this.)

7. Place short cut on desktop to game in folder on E: drive.

Worked with no problems whatsoever.

For those without a separate physical drive, or partition. They will need to use a 10GB USB as Win 10 does not let you copy one folder to another on the same drive, it moves it.

Once again thank you for your help with this infuriating problem.

Annie.

darkelf1

Post by darkelf1 » Sun, 8. May 16, 11:37

thanks............ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 9. May 16, 13:26

Annette Barret wrote:Cycrow, following your advice.

I have used the following procedure, which was by the way successful.

1. Use a fresh install of AP.

2. Copy it to a new folder in a separate drive.

3. Install the No Steam EXE. to the TC addon folder in C:\programs (86)

4. Run PM and install mods etc. To that folder.

5. Run game from within App, Save then quit. Then close App.

6. Swap folders from E: EAP (Clean copy) and C:\program files (86) (You will need an empty temp folder for this.)

7. Place short cut on desktop to game in folder on E: drive.

Worked with no problems whatsoever.

For those without a separate physical drive, or partition. They will need to use a 10GB USB as Win 10 does not let you copy one folder to another on the same drive, it moves it.

Once again thank you for your help with this infuriating problem.

Annie.
Not entirely sure whats going on there. But if you now install new mods into the game on E: do they now work ?

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”