Linux support thread

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gligli
x3ap

Post by Gligli » Wed, 18. Nov 15, 20:05

Gligli wrote:I'll try to save a valid configuration before setting'em IG...
Ok, done.
Works well, except 2 minor problems: (I can now perform my 3axis manoeuvre 8))
- For buttons, Rebirth seems not read the numbers allocated by the OS:
a) No button 0 (offset & decays)
b) big inversion (ie 11 > 6)
These can be remap IG

- Button 12 is recognised as hat up for Rebirth (and hat up correctly)
Weird.
The as said analogue switch brings btns 11 and 12 on. But the 11 is respectively the left (0) analogue "fire" (the one which would holds the hat normally if it were a joystick) and the 12 the right analogue one. Once disable (without analogue), the standard controller, the hat(+) replaces correctly the analogue 0
So if the problem was uphill (ie OS) I'll have already see it with jstest-gtk in example.

---

Tell me if a rewrite of my links above is needed...
On se rend vers la connaissance avec circonspection.
c.a.d, avec un immense respect et la peur au ventre.

Derp

Post by Derp » Thu, 19. Nov 15, 17:00

It works well for me, but I ran into an issue where the game would not recognize mods (or files in general) unless the file names were entirely lowercase. Mods in lowername folders would be recognized, but those in CapitalName folders would not be, and mods trying to open lowername/CapitalName.txt would throw errors during runtime.

I figure most likely the game forces everything into lowercase at some point, which isn't an issue on Windows because that OS doesn't respect case (an artifact of its DOS origins).

I noticed that Steam Workshop mods didn't have this problem, because they had all been forced to lowercase at some point themselves.

At any rate, calling the following code on the extensions folder largely fixed the problem by recursively lowercasing all of the filenames:

Code: Select all

find . -depth -print -execdir rename -f 'y/A-Z/a-z/' '{}' \;

driver8086
x4

graphics and joystick bugs

Post by driver8086 » Thu, 19. Nov 15, 18:52

finally ! ! ! \\.//
wewt, another great game comes to my linux box. xD
you guys rock it. and from the reviews, looks like im glad it took a while to make a port. P

bugs, erm glitches, thats why im here:

when in fake fullscreen (windowed/borderless) can only use 1 resolution (full screen) ok, np but my mouse will not trap inside the screen at all.
mouse-follow nor in stations. this making navigation very hard.

so, switched to regular window, now i can trap mouse but im getting a screen full of laser lights when arround the superhighway entrances/exits.
not all of em, nor all the time(it seems random). leave zone it clears up. if i save and reload, it clears up for a bit. this is most noticable in devries. not so much in albion tho, probably cause there arent as many supers.

thanks for bringing joystick support, im good with kb/mouse now
(thank goodness). thats another buggy thing:
left/right and up/down axis is mapped to straif?
my throttle is mapped to turning left/right? and nothing else is mapped correctly except the fire button xD.
well, there dont seem a way to remap any axis so i unplugged it for now.

please keep up the great work

pc specs:
xubuntu 15.04 64bit
amd 8350 processor 8 core
32gb ram
latest kernel, nvidia gtx 750 ti 2gm vram, proprietary drivers 3.52
miscrosoft sidewinder precision joystick

edit: mod, please move this to the linux support thread. guess i needed to hit reply instead of new post. xD

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Fri, 20. Nov 15, 10:03

Joystick: The initial default settings assume an xbox-controller, and if you actually have a joystick it's completely wrong. Try loading the "default joystick" input profile as a start, and then take it from there and customize from ingame whatever doesn't fit.

driver8086
x4

Post by driver8086 » Fri, 27. Nov 15, 04:39

bwahaha. i diddnt read the instructions close enough or play with settings enough then. also, maby say that controller has to be set to OFF or joystick dont configure correctly either. xD

thanks for enlightenment. it works fantastic :)

new problem lately:
passenger transport, after delivery of said passenger, there is a 80% chance to get 1-frame/30 seconds. not total lockup but close.
i notice there is maby not enough time between greeting me and playing the cutseen maby. anyway i moved my rebirth game from my new nvidia box to my old ati box, no more graphics glitches. maby something with 15.04 and this ultra new nvidia card. the driver just not quite ready i think.
plays much better.
problem loading game on 14.04 though, just a blank window for 15 seconds. after 2 or 3 tries and walla, it loads. unknown reason.

my rig is ubuntu 14.04 kernel 13.19
duel ati 7970 (xfire disabled for rebirth and tc)
8150 amd cpu
32gb ram

Gligli
x3ap

Post by Gligli » Fri, 27. Nov 15, 20:28

driver8086 wrote:32gb ram
Thx for report :)

Btw, impressive rollouting :lol:

AndrewColvin
x3ap

Post by AndrewColvin » Sat, 28. Nov 15, 11:09

Hello

I have been playing this game on my opensuse linux server and laptop and now have a steam controller. I can get the steam controller working within the game if I set it up as mouse and key bindings but the game does not see it as a gamepad or joystick. Is this something with my configuration or is it a limitation of the linux build. I notice that the recommended controller mode for the game is as a game pad (I assume that works under windows)

Edit: Found the reason. The /dev/input/event[nn] file was owned by root and readable by root only. Created a new file in /etc/udev/rules.d called 99-joysticks.rules

added this line in this file
SUBSYSTEMS=="input", ATTRS{name}=="Microsoft X-Box 360 pad", MODE="0666"

now the event file for the steam controller joystick mode is created read for all

daret
x4

Post by daret » Mon, 30. Nov 15, 14:48

Some Bugs I experienced after game start:

1) Mouse confine bug
Mouse is not confined to the game, when Fullscreen is used.
https://youtu.be/fRQXkJ0hPgw
https://youtu.be/gXnEm_QYtII
- I can not play on my KDE Desktop, all active elements are affected
- I have to use openbox

2) Subtitle bug
Subtitles are not correct (or out sync in conversations)
https://youtu.be/h84rrssz7yM

3) FPS Drop
Strange FPS Drop (Repairable with change Ultra to high and back). It was reproducible, but after I recorded this Video it didn't show up again.
https://youtu.be/Nt4oApvO2h8

inxi -b
System: Kernel: 3.19.0-28-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE 4.14.2 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela
Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A99X EVO R2.0 version: Rev 1.xx Bios: American Megatrends version: 2501 date: 04/03/2014
CPU: Hexa core AMD FX-6200 Six-Core (-MCP-) clocked at 1400.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA Device 1401
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 960/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 358.16
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Mon, 30. Nov 15, 17:02

>2) Subtitle bug
This one will be fixed from 4.0 beta 4 ( note that currently we have no 4.0 beta's for osx/linux ).

daret
x4

Post by daret » Tue, 1. Dec 15, 21:56

I hope You will eventually release 4.0 for Linux as well and finally gold release for Linux :)

Btw, great work till now, it could be space flagship for SteamOS :D

the1freak
x3tc

Post by the1freak » Wed, 2. Dec 15, 19:17

Now that I can fly in X-Rebirth with a Joystick in Linux I actually hit the buy button :-)

I have a T16000M, but I'm having some trouble Here's a picture of the button layout for context. For reasons I don't understand, buttons 5-8 are registered as hat movements. This means that I can't use both the real hat and these buttons for different functions, currently hitting either one of the side buttons or moving the hat results in the camera moving.

I tried creating a gamecontrollerdb.txt file using the controllertest utility, but that didn't change the behaviour.

I also tried using sdl-jstest tool to check everything was working fine at the SDL layer, and indeed it looked like all was well there (with or without the gamecontrollerdb.txt file in the same directory).

% cat gamecontrollerdb.txt
030000004f0400000ab1000000010000,Thrustmaster T.16000M,platform:Linux,x:b0,a:b1,b:b2,y:b3,back:b4,guide:b5,start:b6,dpleft:b7,dpdown:b8,dpright:b9,dpup:b10,leftshoulder:b11,lefttrigger:b12,rightshoulder:b13,righttrigger:b14,leftstick:b15,leftx:a0,lefty:a1,rightx:a2,righty:a3,
I then thought maybe it was a Steam issue, and tried to run steam like this:

export SDL_LINUX_JOYSTICK="'Thrustmaster T.16000M' 4 1 0"
steam
(then run X-rebirth from there)
But that didn't help. Any ideas how I can use these 6 buttons independently from the hat?

EDIT:
gpu: Nvidia GeForce GTX 760, nvidia driver
cpu: Intel i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz
RAM: 8GB
distro: Arch Linux

I just realised I probably should've created a bug report instead, so I created XRNIX-58 - sorry for double-posting..
there are many signatures, but this one is mine!

Gligli
x3ap

Post by Gligli » Wed, 2. Dec 15, 19:59

Hi

afaik, you made right by posting here the "textual" part of your report :)

You did try to remap in game, do you?

If I refer to your first *code (the long one)(which seems cut), only 16 buttons are correctly distinguished. Miss the 4 Hat ones.
And only Lxy and Rxy are distinguished. Miss Zrot and the Thruster one.

Hope it helps :)

the1freak
x3tc

Post by the1freak » Thu, 3. Dec 15, 07:55

OK, I've double-checked the mappings using the remap keys thing:

11 button 5
12 POV up
13 POV down
14 POV left
15 POV right
16 =ReadText1022-42= (screenshot)

I appreciate I originally reported buttons 5-8 as broken, and now it's 11-16 - I'm sure that has something to do with the left vs right handed mode switch.

(The T16000M joystick has a right and left handed mode (with a switch at the base and a kit to swap out bits of the stick), the difference being that the buttons on the base (5-8 and 11-16) get swapped around. I thought I did all my testing with the switch in the right handed position, but maybe it only works if it's in the right place when it's first plugged into the USB port or so, not entirely sure.. This shouldn't make a difference for this bug though)

Regarding only 4 axes and 16 buttons being registered in the running of the controllerdb generation tool: that's correct - the tool seems to want to map everything to an xbox controller. If I would've tried to map the hat, I would've ended up 2 buttons short. But I figured that wasn't necessary since X-Rebirth picked up the hat just fine (out of band so to say). Also, the joystick only has 4 axes (x,Y,Z rotation and throttle), but the controllerdb tool maps them to axes that are called something different. Key point: the right number of buttons and axes are registered (excluding the real hat), so I think that's all OK. I'd prefer not to use the remapping tool, since it seems to be more for gamepads than joysticks.

Gligli
x3ap

Post by Gligli » Thu, 3. Dec 15, 13:20

"Underestimate the power of the force not a good Idea will be" :D
the1freak wrote:I'd prefer not to use the remapping tool, since it seems to be more for gamepads than joysticks.
Don't fool yourself, "the game was designed for Xbox controller use" is a matter of User Interface: the way you call menus, the way they are display. In other words, we don't have windows controlled by a mouse.
Nothing to do with plastic shapes or whatever :)

From Egosoft side, you are forced to remap Rebirth if you don't use Xbox controller (a profile-name is already provided by them)
From Linux side, you're forced too. Bcz you wants to be sure of what happen, step by step, button by button...
the1freak wrote:I then thought maybe it was a Steam issue
I assume that steam-OS by-passes or forwards the OS-joystick-configuration(-files?) to games. (I may be wrong)
the1freak wrote:I originally reported buttons 5-8 as broken, and now it's 11-16 - I'm sure that has something to do with the left vs right handed mode switch. but maybe it only works if it's in the right place when it's first plugged into the USB port or so, not entirely sure.
Here we are, I could have bet on it :)
Each (used)"state" of your joystick shall have a configuration file regard to the OS (gamecontrollerdb.txt in your case, but the name can be different) loaded whether by the program which have generated it or by a little script on your computer start (which call the last).

Little point here but important: be sure that this switch is not recognised as a button or whatever phantom like by the "configurator" which leads to other problems... Don't be afraid, personally I simply make without once configured :) (I have some kind too)

Finally I saw some other topics related to windows for the USB plug thing... I plug it before starting the computer (start-scripted method with jscal)
the1freak wrote:I tried creating a gamecontrollerdb.txt file using the controllertest utility, but that didn't change the behaviour.
EDIT:
distro: Arch Linux
It shall. If you set 'whatever' you shall find this 'whatever' in game. Just try to swap 2 buttons for example.
Remember, here we talk of a non mapped or default mapped controller. You probably have to pre-calibre a few ones.
the1freak wrote:I also tried using sdl-jstest tool to check everything was working fine at the SDL layer, and indeed it looked like all was well there (with or without the gamecontrollerdb.txt file in the same directory).
This means SDL version of js-test. Try one on your repository but I assume that steam already installed it :)
I use the gtk version of it and 'jscal' which gives jscal-gtk and jstest-gtk (Ubuntu links a few posts upper)
the1freak wrote:. This shouldn't make a difference for this bug though
Uh! Everything gravitate around :)
And once done both jscal and jstest, you shall Remap in game.
the1freak wrote:But that didn't help. Any ideas how I can use these 6 buttons independently from the hat?
You have only the possibilities setted by 'the switch'.
the1freak wrote:Regarding only 4 axes and 16 buttons being registered in the running of the controllerdb generation tool: that's correct - the tool seems to want to map everything to an xbox controller.
At that level, those tools don't know what an xbox controller is :) but only

x:b0,...,leftx:a0,...
a for analogue b for buttons d for digital (buttons may be annalogue) and so on...
the1freak wrote:If I would've tried to map the hat, I would've ended up 2 buttons short.
I don't understand this. variables once calibre are fixed that's not an fifo or filo pile... :?
the1freak wrote: But I figured that wasn't necessary since X-Rebirth picked up the hat just fine (out of band so to say).
It can't 'pick' something undefined, or we miss something :)
the1freak wrote:Also, the joystick only has 4 axes (x,Y,Z rotation and throttle), but the controllerdb tool maps them to axes that are called something different.
No matter the call.
Warning, an Axe is 2 gauges(Yup and Ydown in ex).
And the thruster one is probably different of the other as it's physically represented as 1 gauge (+backward?)
the1freak wrote:Key point: the right number of buttons and axes are registered (excluding the real hat), so I think that's all OK.
Imo, once the whole easy procedure done, everything shall be functional except a phantom button which involve furtherer procedure (patched jscal) that I didn't done... (without speaking of force feed back [ffb])

Pfeew... Hard time reply :)

the1freak
x3tc

Post by the1freak » Thu, 3. Dec 15, 21:25

According to comments on the bug Timon has managed to reproduced the issue and is working on a fix, which is great to hear! :)

Gligli, much studied the force, you have.

I think there is a difference between joysticks and game controllers, at least SDL2 has different APIs for them. Whether this has any practical implications for X-Rebirth I don't know.

Now, regarding the left/right handed button. It's underneath the joystick, so it's not meant to be a button used during gameplay. Using both sdl2-jstest and X-rebirth, I can confirm that it does flip buttons 5-8 and 11-16 around at the hardware level, and it does take effect immediately. I can also confirm that the SDL2 GUID of the joystick stays the same regardless of the setting, so you don't need two different gamecontrollerdb.txt files. Unplugging and plugging the joystick back in changes nothing. I really do think it's irrelevant in this context, except that it may have confused me - I'm trying to use the joystick left-handed, so that I can use my right hand for the mouse, which works well once you turn off X-Rebirth's gamepad mode ;-).

The controllermap utility I used came from the SDL2 source code, and it displays an xbox360 (-like) controller on screen. It highlights the buttons one by one, and you press whichever button you want to correspond to that button on the gamepad. If you look at any gamecontrollerdb.txt (like my snippet above or the community one), you'll see that it maps concepts like "guide" and "righttrigger" to numbered buttons (b5), and axes like leftx/y and rightx/y to numbered axes (a0). Once you've run out of buttons on the screen, the mapping tool exits and prints the results. That's how I know I would've ended up 2 buttons short if I tried to map the hat to controller buttons.

Gligli
x3ap

Post by Gligli » Thu, 3. Dec 15, 23:39

the1freak wrote: Gligli, much studied the force, you have.
Aww, I'll never end it. Don't you?
the1freak wrote:Now, regarding the left/right handed button. It's underneath the joystick, so it's not meant to be a button used during gameplay. Using both sdl2-jstest and X-rebirth, I can confirm that it does flip buttons 5-8 and 11-16 around at the hardware level, and it does take effect immediately. I can also confirm that the SDL2 GUID of the joystick stays the same regardless of the setting, so you don't need two different gamecontrollerdb.txt files(...)- I'm trying to use the joystick left-handed, so that I can use my right hand for the mouse, which works well once you turn off X-Rebirth's gamepad mode ;-).
Lol, Much more clear for me now and obvious then... I didn't understood a simple crossing: I thought you could remove those part :D Sorry then.

daret
x4

Post by daret » Fri, 4. Dec 15, 09:13

daret wrote: 3) FPS Drop
Strange FPS Drop (Repairable with change Ultra to high and back). It was reproducible, but after I recorded this Video it didn't show up again.
https://youtu.be/Nt4oApvO2h8
I started a new game and the FPS Drop showed up again.
It is the first "acquire captain" mission.

fallenwizard
x4

Post by fallenwizard » Wed, 30. Dec 15, 08:02

Are there any plans to update the Linux build to 4.0 beta 4 soon?

I can't test the HoL DLC with my main OS atm because the Linux version is still at 3.61.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Thu, 14. Jan 16, 17:41

fallenwizard wrote:Are there any plans to update the Linux build to 4.0 beta 4 soon?
Yep it'll be available soon, though I'm afraid it'll be bumpy so please *really* backup savegames before you switch to it;p

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Fri, 15. Jan 16, 16:54

We're not afraid! Bring it on! :lol:

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”