What needs to change in the new game?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

rmazurek
x3tc

Post by rmazurek » Mon, 23. Nov 15, 13:58

But you can fly capital ships and command it from the bridge. You just not steering it manually but give orders to captain. And this is good way to handle it. I like this idea.

Commander_K
x4

Post by Commander_K » Mon, 23. Nov 15, 15:12

mr.WHO wrote: I'd also add a "hangar room" for carriers and bigger ships (e.g if Arawn could carry 50 fighters I'd like to see 50 fighter racks filled with the fighters in the hangar kinda like in X2 station docking points).
Also it adds the possibility for you remote controlling fighters/drone from there, without the fear that the Skunk is blown up while you do that. Actually I think that should be very possible to implement even in X:R.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 23. Nov 15, 21:53

rmazurek wrote:No way! No directly moving capital ships! That is radiculous in all previous games....
Your opinion. You need to accept that not all players share that opinion. There are a lot of us that enjoy the variety and flying big ships is part of it. Even in the previous games, you could turn over control to the AI if you wished. So all Rebirth has done is take away a feature that many players enjoyed. It doesn't have to be either/or, you know. :P
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Mon, 23. Nov 15, 22:18

Nanook wrote:
rmazurek wrote:No way! No directly moving capital ships! That is radiculous in all previous games....
Your opinion. You need to accept that not all players share that opinion. There are a lot of us that enjoy the variety and flying big ships is part of it. Even in the previous games, you could turn over control to the AI if you wished. So all Rebirth has done is take away a feature that many players enjoyed. It doesn't have to be either/or, you know. :P
How many I wonder? I mean that is the crucial question in many of these topics... After all Bernd did say : "Piloting a huge capital ship from the seat of the pilot is boring, therefore we left that out." He obviously formed that opinion somewhere probably in a team meeting and personal experience. I think where Egosoft weren't thinking clearly was not making such a thing easily moddable so players that want it have the choice i.e. if a feature is dropped then allow for it to be modded back in.. I know that is easier said than done btw :wink:

In an ideal world:
Minority groups => Moddable choice
Large player base => vanilla
Strategic dev direction => vanilla
Developer focus group => beta

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Tue, 24. Nov 15, 03:03

If you have a squadron or fleet around you that you need to command, you dont want to sit in a fighter during commanding, because you are totally vulnerable. And the AI is not particulary clever either.

With time compression they are not that boring after all and flying the gigantic ship with giant guns YOU earned with your money after a long time (esp in X3R [not sure bout X2]) is very satisfying. And blowing stuff up is also satisfying. Flying isnt exiting in itself, but fighting is.

Especially for capitals that have hangars with your personal selection of ships, jumpdrive, a variety of weapons etc.
I think where Egosoft weren't thinking clearly was not making such a thing easily moddable so players that want it have the choice i.e. if a feature is dropped then allow for it to be modded back in.. I know that is easier said than done btw
Such deep things can't be modded. They need foundation in the engine ergo they might as well include it themself if they already would have to do 80% of the work there. And about the not thinking straight thing... imo that could be said for a lot of design decisions made in XR :roll:
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Terran Jupiter
xr

Post by Terran Jupiter » Tue, 24. Nov 15, 16:53

rmazurek wrote:But you can fly capital ships and command it from the bridge. You just not steering it manually but give orders to captain. And this is good way to handle it. I like this idea.
I thought that place you land on was a landing pad maybe if you could walk from the landing pad to the capital ships bridge where your captin, enginer, and defence officer should be that would be cool then you could stand on your bridge and see where your cap ship is going from there.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 25. Nov 15, 00:39

BigBANGtheory wrote:
Nanook wrote:
How many I wonder? I mean that is the crucial question in many of these topics... After all Bernd did say : "Piloting a huge capital ship from the seat of the pilot is boring, therefore we left that out." He obviously formed that opinion somewhere probably in a team meeting and personal experience....
Or a very vocal minority of all the previous X players (we're just a tiny subset that currently frequent these forums).

Judging from all the past topics involving capital ships in the old forums, not to mention all the mods involving adding new big ships to those games, I'd say that a rather large majority of X gamers enjoyed flying big ships in the past. There's a fair possibility that Bernd made the 'boring' statement as one justification for removing that feature from Rebirth. I'm betting that the next game will return that ability to the player. At least, I hope so. In a space flight simulation, flying ships should be the most important feature, not being a spectator as the AI does it for you. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

rmazurek
x3tc

Post by rmazurek » Wed, 25. Nov 15, 04:01

This is modable and there is mod for that. Just try Bridge mod.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 26. Nov 15, 00:35

Uh, no. All the bridge mod does is move you and the ship's crew to a different room, the bridge, rather than conducting business on the hangar deck. You have no more control of your capital ship from the 'bridge' than you do from the hangar deck.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Thu, 26. Nov 15, 00:41

Reagrding that statement about capships being boring - i think there were a lot of misconceptions at start that seem to have faded luckily.

I for one, spend most of my X3 time in an M7, with a fast fighter in the hangar.
Never liked M6s to be honest, mainly kept those as trophies.

rmazurek
x3tc

Post by rmazurek » Thu, 26. Nov 15, 00:45

Yes and this is correct behaviour. How do you imagine to controll such big unit by yourself? In fighter you are in cockpit and you controll it all by yourself but not in capital ships.

I would even make it more complex. It would be great if needed crew would depend on the ship type. For example to use each turret would be needed at least one soldier that will handle it. Similar thing about another components, for example mechanics to use engines, and such things.

Anyway, capital ships in X Rebirth are handled the best way of any X games untill now. I hope it will stay this way. That makes much more sense.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Thu, 26. Nov 15, 00:59

I had no problem controlling it, being able to man every turret is also nice.

You could also let the AI fly your ships in X3, so XR did nothing new there, just lost a feature (player control).

I assume you mean the FP feature by 'better handling', that you can walk around inside the ship.
Relax, noone talks against that. Its about being able to control it as well, not ban the FP aspect from the game.

Mackan
xr

Post by Mackan » Thu, 26. Nov 15, 01:41

A move to DX12 API would be nice, or would that be a delusional sentiment? :(

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Thu, 26. Nov 15, 03:12

Mackan wrote:A move to DX12 API would be nice
See assorted previous threads WRT DX12 starting here
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Mackan
xr

Post by Mackan » Thu, 26. Nov 15, 05:09

Snafu_X3 wrote:
Mackan wrote:A move to DX12 API would be nice
See assorted previous threads WRT DX12 starting here
The fact that they are even considering lower-level APIs is VERY promising to me. Here's hoping it won't be too tricky to implement into their engine with all the extra fluff needed for the lower-level stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”