[MOD] SilenceYouAll - Skip chatter!

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Wed, 11. Nov 15, 23:42

I managed to find a bit of time to give it a try.
Up to now, it works really well. Space almost feels lonely. :D
Oh well, more room to play some awesome music.

Here's a suggestion, though. You should leave the "ship complete" and "station module complete" messages, as they are relatively important while you're building your empire.

Once again, thank you for this.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Thu, 12. Nov 15, 01:52

@Yorric: Thanks - i saw the diff errors, no clue why they appear. Those files are patches, they need to have that structure. No clue why they are being parsed twice - once the diffpatch is done and then XR tries to load them as if they were the original xmls..?
Any idea on this welcome. Might be im missing some basic knowledge on XR mods.
Ill check the match error, that must be an error on my end, or changes since 4.0.

@Ezarkal: Thanks, ill find and enable those messages. Let me know if something else is missing!

YorrickVander
x4

Post by YorrickVander » Thu, 12. Nov 15, 09:32

The apparent reading twice of the patch xml is normal; this always happens as the patch is performed then the diff is rejected. The double file extension (.xml.xml) probably doesn't matter as XR only seems to carte about the internal name for the scripts.
X Rebirth - A Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Product

Split irritate visiting pilot with strange vocal patterns.

strude
x4

Post by strude » Thu, 12. Nov 15, 10:46

pref wrote:I kept the generic mission speech because i rarely play those, and have no idea if they have any necessary info for the player (still they can be skipped by selecting the next option).

Are those all safe to remove entirely, without holding back info from the player? Or did you keep the rest because those are needed?
Nar, all the information for the missions is provided in the text and animations. The spoken parts I removed are generic repetitive stuff like greetings/farewells/"So you want the job?"/"I knew you were the one for this job"/etc
pref wrote:I see you hide audio based on line IDs - is that safe between patches for XR?
Maybe i should do it the same way to have more flexibility for the future XR updates...
Not sure if it's safe between patches, as I really only started modding in 3.5. It just seemed the most likely way of identifying a particular line that I wanted.

The problem with

Code: Select all

//add_npc_line)[6]
is that if a patch or another mod adds or removes any add_npc_line node before the sixth one, then the one you thought was the sixth one isn't really the sixth one any more. It's probably where the log error is coming from. If originally the sixth one was the last one in the file, and you removed any other them, then there is no sixth one any more.

The problem with removing based on id is that often there are more the one add_npc_line in a given xml file with the same id. Then you have to either be more specific, or use some of the trickery I used in my files to target a particular line.
pref wrote:Edit: I removed almost everything from conversations.xml for ex. 40 lines in total. Was there something useful? none of the lines seemed to contain much useful info except for 2 (in 'Speech' cue, these are supposed to be started by the NPC).
From what I gather, the conversations file contains some double up of references that are already in other files. For example, the greetings. It looks as if each file originally had a greeting piece of code (observed from older files), but newer files seem to just have a reference to the conversations greeting section. Just my guess.
Gaming PC: Gigabyte H270M-D3H | i7 7700 | 16Gb DDR4 | Gigabyte GTX1060 6Gb OC | Asus Xonar DGX | Window 10 Home 64bit | Samsung 256Gb SSD

pref
x4

Post by pref » Thu, 12. Nov 15, 13:37

I rewrote my xQuery code completely to use line numbers for ID.
Weird thing, there are still missing matches - even though the xml does contain the nodes.
For example in GM_Defend_station XR cannot match

"\\add_npc_line[@line='13']" 

even though its clearly there:

<do_else>
                        <add_npc_line line="13" comment="Whatever."/>
                        <!-- restart Accepted event listener -->
                        <reset_cue cue="ShowOffer"/>
                      </do_else>
Can we somehow run the same diffpatch routine as XR does? Have no clue why XR does not find them.
Is it possible to ask someone from ES? Guess they must be pretty busy without me pestering them.
YorrickVander wrote:The apparent reading twice of the patch xml is normal; this always happens as the patch is performed then the diff is rejected. The double file extension (.xml.xml) probably doesn't matter as XR only seems to carte about the internal name for the scripts.
Thanks! So if i manage to fix the no match error the diffs will go too.
Found that file with the double ext, renamed it.
Last edited by pref on Thu, 12. Nov 15, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.

YorrickVander
x4

Post by YorrickVander » Thu, 12. Nov 15, 14:07

Ah no, the diff errors will stay with most files. you can ignore these if no other errors present. So you know for the [6] error, my game was otherwise clean 4.0b2 so no other mods could have moved a line.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Thu, 12. Nov 15, 14:23

It is now working with filter for line attribute, not the count. I get the error even on my system - just unpacked all files again in case ES applied something.
Im completely clueless why [@line='13'] does not match <add_npc_line line="13"/>.

Maybe some processing occurs on the XML files before the diffgram is applied? Some optimization perhaps, that renames nodes or removes things that never get to execute for other reasons.

strude
x4

Post by strude » Thu, 12. Nov 15, 15:56

pref wrote:Im completely clueless why [@line='13'] does not match <add_npc_line line="13"/>
Is it still the GM_Defend_station.xml file or might it be either the GM_Police_Scan.xml or GM_Assassination_v2.xml file?

If so, the non match occurs because there are multiple add_npc_line with line="13" in those files. The match error doesn't always mean that it doesn't exist at all. A match only occurs if the comparison matches EXACTLY ONE line. If there are multiple possible matches, it will ignore that change completely.

Otherwise is it possible that another mod or a previous file in this mod is already removing that line? Possibly even an earlier line in the current file has removed that reference already?

Just noticed while doing the below writing, does it matter that you have \\add_npc_line? Mine are all //add_npc_line.
YorrickVander wrote:So you know for the [6] error, my game was otherwise clean 4.0b2 so no other mods could have moved a line.
It doesn't necessarily need to be another mod. It could be another file in this mod that has already executed, or even a previous line in the current file. For example if there are only 6 total add_npc_line nodes in file abc.xml then

<diff>
  <remove sel="//add_npc_line[5]" />
  <remove sel="//add_npc_line[6]" />
</diff>
will generate that error, as the first line removes the fifth entry, thus only leaving 5 add_npc_line lines. It will then try and remove the sixth reference, however now there are only five. That's as I understand the execution anyway.
Gaming PC: Gigabyte H270M-D3H | i7 7700 | 16Gb DDR4 | Gigabyte GTX1060 6Gb OC | Asus Xonar DGX | Window 10 Home 64bit | Samsung 256Gb SSD

pref
x4

Post by pref » Thu, 12. Nov 15, 19:41

There are no duplicates in the file with the same @line attribute.
Also tried appending the [count] but that did not help either.

It is the defend station file, and it only has unique entries as for @line.
I tried both of these:

<add sel="//add_npc_line[@line='13']" type="@hidechoices">false</add>

<add sel="(//add_npc_line[@line='13'])[1]" type="@hidechoices">false</add>

None works. Both should match exactly one node from GM_Defend_Station.xml, still they throw the no match error.
Any idea appreciated.

Is there a way to remove all matching entries regardless of how many times they appear?

pref
x4

Post by pref » Fri, 13. Nov 15, 02:24

:D
Solved all problems, no more missing lines. Refreshed the download.
Kept generic mission messages, but all audio should allow selection of next option without delay (restecp UniTrader!). This way only the last goodbye holds the player back from quick interaction.
If its still too much let me know, i can remove all the mission related chatter in no time. Same for SmallTalk.

Ezarkal wrote: Here's a suggestion, though. You should leave the "ship complete" and "station module complete" messages, as they are relatively important while you're building your empire.
Should work now with 0.4, let me know if there are more of these useful messages missing.

And yay! i can try 4.0 finally
:D

pref
x4

Post by pref » Fri, 13. Nov 15, 14:52

strude wrote:removing the cut scene that plays when crew enter or exit the skunk.
I did this too now, removed every one of them.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Sat, 14. Nov 15, 17:47

Thanks for bringing back those "build complete" messages. Removing the animations was a nifty idea, too.

I gave it a good run yesterday. It works pretty well! I'll let you know if I find bugs or possible improvements.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

YorrickVander
x4

Post by YorrickVander » Sat, 14. Nov 15, 18:01

Small suggestion, if not added already (currently testing with no mods), for notifications.xml :

<remove sel="//cue[@name='Docking']"/>
for silent docking

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sat, 14. Nov 15, 22:01

Ezarkal wrote:I gave it a good run yesterday. It works pretty well! I'll let you know if I find bugs or possible improvements.
Cheers! Let me know if there is more. The build complete was a nice find.

YorrickVander wrote:Small suggestion, if not added already (currently testing with no mods), for notifications.xml :

<remove sel="//cue[@name='Docking']"/>
for silent docking

Thanks Yorrick!
I was just about to remove that, this helped me a lot finding the location.
Hiding that whole cue would have resulted in the the loss of 'max_upgrade' achievment and autosaves - so finally i removed only the welcome speech.

I also removed that sneaky ticking sound when shield regenerates.
First i thought my HDD was dying, then the CPU vent... finally i realized it was coming from the game, grrr :D

YorrickVander
x4

Post by YorrickVander » Sun, 15. Nov 15, 01:03

That cue only does the speech from yisha and the station staff, undocking is not affected and autosaves continue to function on undock.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sun, 15. Nov 15, 01:16

strude wrote: Nar, all the information for the missions is provided in the text and animations. The spoken parts I removed are generic repetitive stuff like greetings/farewells/"So you want the job?"/"I knew you were the one for this job"/etc
Yeah, right. The hi/bye wasn't really necessary.. or tolerable after trying a few missions :D
Since control works while the main mission voice plays, i left that in. I need a sec or two to see whats in the briefing anyway.
YorrickVander wrote:That cue only does the speech from yisha and the station staff, undocking is not affected and autosaves continue to function on undock.
Oh.
I found these in subcues of "Docking":

<signal_cue cue="PrepareAutoSaveOnUndock"/>

<unlock_achievement name="MAX_UPGRADES"/>
I thought if i remove the whole Docking cue these would never execute either. Might be im mistaken..?
I interpreted signal_cue as a manual trigger of that cue.

YorrickVander
x4

Post by YorrickVander » Sun, 15. Nov 15, 10:03

You are both quite correct on re-examination. Odd however that on testing undocking still functioned as expected. Ignore my lazy modding! Score that one as E- more effort needed from the boy Vander.

strude
x4

Post by strude » Sun, 15. Nov 15, 10:34

YorrickVander wrote:You are both quite correct on re-examination. Odd however that on testing undocking still functioned as expected. Ignore my lazy modding! Score that one as E- more effort needed from the boy Vander.
Did you test it by saving while docked, making the changes, then reloading and undocking? The undocking cue is a subcue of the docking cue. I'd assume that the docking cue is created when you dock, so that even if you changed the undocking cue (or removed it), the instance of the docking cue you currently had active wouldn't be affected, as that cue was already created with the unmodified undocking cue.

Either that, or maybe the change you made had an error that you didn't notice, and the change to the node was ignored?

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sun, 15. Nov 15, 14:33

Still weird that you got the autosave after undock. Not sure if my theory is 100% correct... maybe there is another trigger or such.

I decided to keep the welcome speech anyway - its rep dependent after all so holds some info. And i dont want to get too lonely :D

By the way i tried to use signal_cue but didn't work out.
Does that bypass the event conditions? Not really sure how it works.
I wanted to launch a que that had an event condition that was never true (i removed the command that was supposed to trigger it).
Not sure how to force a que to exec.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Sun, 15. Nov 15, 14:44

signal_cue only triggers cues which have the condition event_cue_signalled - default is they themselves are signalled

if you want to force a cue use force_cue but this will print an error to the debuglog because its not supposed to be used regulary...
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”