Ships sent off to die

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Karmaticdamage
x4

Ships sent off to die

Post by Karmaticdamage » Sat, 22. Aug 15, 10:16

This is the known process of how the economy works. The shipyards are sinks and they build ships. They then send the ships to die so that they can be filled with more resources to build more ships to then send to die.
Instead of just going off somewhere and blipping out of existence wouldn't it be more fun if they went off and attacked something to get themselves killed? PMC throwing ships at HOA and vise versa, argon sending ships to xenon space to fight and die. The current process makes sustaining the economy feel empty and i'd welcome more random content in the game world.

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Sat, 22. Aug 15, 15:38

I believe this was the basis of the (now old and un-updated) Real War mod. It expanded in scope since the first version, but originally it did work like you described, using ships that would otherwise move.die normally.

That was when every shipyard product did move.die - I've heard that now the job system builds things at shipyards when there's enough resources, as well as having ships that only move.die when there's an excess. Which is a great change, but I wouldn't mind a similar "move.die wars" mod for the new versions of X:R. :)

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sat, 22. Aug 15, 19:04

MegaJohnny wrote:I wouldn't mind a similar "move.die wars" mod for the new versions of X:R. :)
In that case would recommend having a look at CWIR mod: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=381043

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Sat, 22. Aug 15, 22:28

MegaJohnny wrote:I believe this was the basis of the (now old and un-updated) Real War mod. It expanded in scope since the first version, but originally it did work like you described, using ships that would otherwise move.die normally.

That was when every shipyard product did move.die - I've heard that now the job system builds things at shipyards when there's enough resources, as well as having ships that only move.die when there's an excess. Which is a great change, but I wouldn't mind a similar "move.die wars" mod for the new versions of X:R. :)
my comment is: dont touch the mode.die for this purpose - if a Scripter/Mission Writer wants an Object to be removed it should be removed, not used for something else. (imagine a Mission where someone is supposed to Die by Enemies with a Ship (also a possibility of the move.die) and this change moves him somewhere else with a Jump - thats immersion-breaking. and he may stay alive longer than anticipated possibly breaking this Mission)
It would be better to add a "leasing" System to the Game where for example Constructed Ships are pooled to and other Things may use this Pool instead of Spawning (and long unused Ships are sent somewhere to die) - but dont touch the mode.die itself to implement this leasing system, rather change the appearences of move.die to point to said leasing system where apporiate (eg ship building), and it may use move.die if it cannt find anything better.

had a similiar case recently with my Scripting Project: i have added a Script there which sells all Cargo from the Cargobay as fast as possible to make room for other Stuff, and drop all the stuff which cannt be sold. It also included an Option which just let the Ship directly drop all Cargo without trying to sell it - and a user thought it is a good idea to add a second try to sell Cargo in this snippet. But thats counter-intuitive, because if you explicitly tell a Ship to DROP all Cargo and immediately goes SELLing the most expensive stuff you would certainly feel betrayed and maybe the Ship would maybe miss the opportunity to collect stuff which is worth more than the dropped Cargo (or currently more valuable to you, like a Cargobay full of RMP or Fusion Reactors, and your Ship currently is full of Turrets and Weapons which may be very expensive - but you dont have demand for them)
no offense meant to the person who suggested that, on the first glance it is an imporvement - but if a Script explicitly does something wich is seemingly counter-productive it usually has a good reason for that. and maybe tried to achieve the same by other means before.

also regarding Ships used by the Jobs: afaik this only applies to small Ships which are produced Factory-Like into a Storage and the Jobs can take Ships from there, but the Built-to-Order Big Ships are still only built to move.die
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Karmaticdamage
x4

Post by Karmaticdamage » Sun, 23. Aug 15, 18:02

Ships left over from missions currently do just hang around forever. The fleet that jumps after you capture the taranis in the plot just hangs there forever unless the player kills and boards them. The arwans of the battle against the overwatch will go patrol around barren heart until killed or boarded by the player.

I've seem just about every "fun idea" addition to the game get shot down with logic that has no real source along with ideas that would greatly change the game. Why do you want X:R to be as it is? As it is, its is a turd of a game, accept that and demand better.

Spacefuelcomplex

Post by Spacefuelcomplex » Thu, 27. Aug 15, 11:34

That's normal to use ships as a economic sink.

World War 1&2 also had economic sink with tanks, people even had to collect scrap metal to build them.

Would be nice if x rebirth could get the same for stations and a active ai to replace stations, and maybe some war skirmishes between PMC and HoA. But I guess I am daydreaming too much.

Patholos
x4

Post by Patholos » Thu, 27. Aug 15, 17:18

Spacefuelcomplex wrote:That's normal to use ships as a economic sink.

World War 1&2 also had economic sink with tanks, people even had to collect scrap metal to build them.

Would be nice if x rebirth could get the same for stations and a active ai to replace stations, and maybe some war skirmishes between PMC and HoA. But I guess I am daydreaming too much.
Why don't you check CWIR out? It's in the scripts forum.
Sure glad I didn't purchase a new computer this release.

Ajpav13

Post by Ajpav13 » Tue, 15. Sep 15, 19:24

The above post is correct: CWIR is Amazing! Run by very talented people - here is the link:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

Also, perhaps you could considering adding some additional stations to the game - i.e. stuff like NPC-owned "Construction Shops" etc - stations that require a TON of end-user material to churn out production. To do that: create a mod and edit the zones.xml file

- Feel free to PM me on that BTW - I can walk you through the process - (its SUPER easy).

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 16. Sep 15, 02:08

Please confine discussion of mods to the scripting and modding forum.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Mon, 21. Sep 15, 10:03

Nanook wrote:Please confine discussion of mods to the scripting and modding forum.
Why? Not challenging, really just asking.

A lot of times, people ask for a feature, or complain about something, and I know that it, or something very similar, has already been implemented in a mod, so I recommend the mod. Should I stop making such recommendations outside of S&M? No problem with doing so if that's a rule.

About move.die. I think it's an abstraction: some ships are built - they disappear, some ships appear out of nowhere. It looks like the abstraction is still necessary since the shipyards simply can't cope with the number of ships that are needed to keep things running. Answer, I think, could be to either:

- make existing ships do their thing more efficiently so that less ships are needed (steps have been taken in this regard, but lots more ships than can be built in a reasonable amount of time are still needed.)
- build ships faster,
- or make more shipyards. (or expand existing shipyards with lots more docks.)

The last two would also need either more resources produced in the economy at large, or less resource requirements per ship produced. Otherwise, ship production would stall and everything would eventually come crashing to a halt.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 21. Sep 15, 20:55

w.evans wrote:
Nanook wrote:Please confine discussion of mods to the scripting and modding forum.
Why? Not challenging, really just asking....
Because this forum is for discussing the vanilla game only. Mentioning a mod in this forum is ok. But discussing those mods further must be done in the S&M forum.

If you want to discuss this issue further, please do so via PM, as discussing moderator actions is also against the rules. Now let's get back to the original topic, shall we?
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”