Creating a mission (setting mission objectives)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

strude
x4

Creating a mission (setting mission objectives)

Post by strude » Thu, 27. Aug 15, 05:12

So, who would like to give me the basic run down on creating a mission and making it appear in game?

I've looked as some of the vanilla mission scripts, but struggle to make out the difference between just what's required to simply get a mission running and what's required for the particular vanilla mission I'm examining.

I'm confident I'll be able to work out the functional part of what I want to do (probably), but I'm struggling to figure out just how to get a new mission registered, started and ended.

Regards

Simon
Last edited by strude on Tue, 1. Sep 15, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.
Gaming PC: Gigabyte H270M-D3H | i7 7700 | 16Gb DDR4 | Gigabyte GTX1060 6Gb OC | Asus Xonar DGX | Window 10 Home 64bit | Samsung 256Gb SSD

Clownmug
x4

Post by Clownmug » Thu, 27. Aug 15, 09:52

I don't know if I can explain it properly or thoroughly enough, but here's my take on how the vanilla missions work.

For most missions you have two md scripts that are important. The first is the GenericMissions.xml md script. Every time the player changes zones the "SelectOffer" cue from this script will choose a few potential mission offers to generate. If you want a mission to appear, just add a new <signal_cue> like this:

Code: Select all

<diff>
	<add sel="//cue[@name='SelectOffer']/actions/do_any">
		<signal_cue cue="md.GM_Your_Mission.StartGeneric" weight="100 * quota.deliver" />
	</add>
</diff>
The other important md script is the generic mission file itself. In the above example it's "GM_Your_Mission". First, the "StartGeneric" cue which was signalled by "GenericMissions.SelectOffer" checks all the stations to see which can take mission offers, then it randomly picks one to start setting up the mission. This is when a new cue based on the "Start" library is created.

The "Start" library has several cues that are used for setting up the mission. You can usually tell what the cue does based on its name. There's usually one or more "Check_Variation" cue which does stuff like check the area for enemy ships to use as targets. Then there's the "Do_Start_Mission" cue. In this cue, each of the "Check_Variation" cues are signalled to see if they can create a valid mission. If at least one is valid, a variation will be randomly signalled again to setup the actual mission.

Now that the "Do_Start_Mission" cue has picked a variation to setup, it can proceed to run its child cues. The first few cues are used to setup the mission briefing and the conversation with the npc offering the mission. For example, the "AddOfferSteps" cue sets the objectives for the mission briefing and the "ConversationStart" cue sets what the npc will say when the player opens the offer. After all these cues run, your actual mission offer will appear on the station.

Then there's the "MissionAccepted" cue. This is where the actual mission is created. For a lot of the vanilla missions, each step of the mission creates a new cue based on a RML md script (reusable mission library?). The parameters for these libraries are usually set by the "Check_Variation" cue that was used. Once a cue is completed it will either signal another cue for the next step in the mission or they will signal "MissionEnded". The mission either fails or is completed based on the results of this cue.

strude
x4

Post by strude » Thu, 27. Aug 15, 13:26

Thanks for your post. I'll take a look at the vanilla files and see if I can follow what you described.
Gaming PC: Gigabyte H270M-D3H | i7 7700 | 16Gb DDR4 | Gigabyte GTX1060 6Gb OC | Asus Xonar DGX | Window 10 Home 64bit | Samsung 256Gb SSD

strude
x4

Post by strude » Tue, 1. Sep 15, 16:43

Been looking through the files and trying a few things out.

I always seem to end up with an invalid mission objective.

The vanilla missions that I've looked at all use something like the following

<do_if value="$UpdateBriefing">
                  <update_mission cue="$MissionCue">
                    <briefing>
                      <objective step="$StartStep" action="objective.scan" text="$ObjectiveText"/>
                    </briefing>
                  </update_mission>
                </do_if>
I use the action type objective.custom, which then requires me to specify the attributes "customaction" and "customicon". I've just inserted text for the customaction field and referenced a vanilla icon name for the customicon field. I tend to think that customaction needs to reference something specified in another file, but I have no idea what that is suppose to reference. There is an actions folder (assets/fx/gui/actions) that contains zipped files with action names, but I have no idea about what those files do. Uncompressing them doesn't provide anything readily usable.

Can you provide me any assistance in this area, or should a make a new post so others might see?

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Tue, 1. Sep 15, 16:47

I think I have some vague ideas for this but can't look it up currently - will answer later
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Tue, 1. Sep 15, 17:39

Did you first create a Mission Objective? you need one before you can update it. (refer to <set_objective/> )

for the custom icon look into the libraries/icons.xml and either use one of the existent ones or add your own there.
the compressed files you mentoined are probably the Vanilla Action icons (gzipped dds files)

for the custom action you need to input a string, so either use customaction="'Your Objective'" (note the '' inside the "") or do it properly by using the text file and refer to entries there like customaction="{123,456}"

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

strude
x4

Post by strude » Wed, 2. Sep 15, 11:21

Thanks UT. After I made this post, I realised I'd been stung by the missing one set of quotes for the customaction attribute, but I'd mostly shut everything down by then, so didn't fire things up to test it out. Will do that shortly and see if things come together.

I had set the customicon attribute to one of the named icons in the libraries/icon.xml file. I've just realised I was getting the same error for that field too (cannot evaluate expression or something to that effect), so I'll probably need the two sets of quotes for that field too.

strude
x4

Post by strude » Fri, 4. Sep 15, 12:35

Just quickly, can I do something like this?

<set_value name="$MissionText" exact="$MissionText + $Some_other_text"/>
Is that supported or is there a better way that I don't know about? Otherwise I'll just make a temp variable and do something like this

<set_value name="$MissionTextTemp" exact="$MissionText + @Some_other_text"/>
<set_value name="$MissionText" exact="$MissionTextTemp"/>
<remove_value name="$MissionTextTemp"/>

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Fri, 4. Sep 15, 12:43

You can do this but there are also other ways:
'%1 %2'.[$MissionText, $someothertext]
<replace_text /> command

Choose the one which suits your needs best

strude
x4

Post by strude » Fri, 4. Sep 15, 12:48

UniTrader wrote:'%1 %2'.[$MissionText, $someothertext]
So I'd use that like

<set_value name="$MissionText" exact="'%1 %2'.[$MissionText, $someothertext]

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Fri, 4. Sep 15, 17:16

Exactly - would write more but its a bit cumbersome to type XML tags on the phone

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Fri, 4. Sep 15, 17:36

You could simply have:

<set_value name="$MissionText" exact="$MissionText + $OtherText"/>
Or if you're feeling really fancy

<set_value name="$MissionText" operation="add" exact="$OtherText"/>

strude
x4

Post by strude » Sat, 5. Sep 15, 02:21

Xenon_Slayer wrote:You could simply have:

<set_value name="$MissionText" exact="$MissionText + $OtherText"/>
Or if you're feeling really fancy

<set_value name="$MissionText" operation="add" exact="$OtherText"/>
The secone one looks more elegant. :D

The first was what I started with, but wasn't sure about using $MissionText in the expression since that was the variable I was assigning to.

strude
x4

Post by strude » Sun, 6. Sep 15, 04:00

This mod is actually progressing quite well, thanks everyone for the pointers!

Some more questions though.

If I add missions to the game, I assume that will affect the save game (i.e. save="true" in content.xml)? If I want to allow an uninstall for this mod, how would I go about tracking down the missions I've created to remove them before uninstall? Or would it be best to just say no uninstall and leave save="true". I'd prefer not to do that as it might dissuade people from tying out the mod.

Also since I may have Xenon_Slayer's ear for a minute :D (Y'all can answer too if you know the answer, but it might be a more internal code type question.)

I'm actually creating upkeep missions, however the only generic type missiontype I can find is missiontype.other, which doesn't register as an upkeep mission, and all the upkeep mission types are for a purpose. Any chance we can get a generic missiontype.upkeep_other? At the moment I use the missiontype.upkeep_hirenpc, which seems to do the job. Can you tell me if using that missiontype will have any adverse effects? Or should I be doing it a different way.

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Mon, 7. Sep 15, 14:32

I've not played around with extensions much (at least beyond the official stuff). When it comes to the MD I think it is simply if the MD file exists, so do the cues and these will be saved. Remove that MD file, all the cues disappear when you next load the savegame.

Of course, that can lead to some objects from the missions being left behind e.g ships/NPCs. But the mission entry itself and its cues will be cleaned up.

As for the upkeep missions, it should be fine to reuse of those mission types. Those are mainly for things like icons, not tracking the mission.

strude
x4

Post by strude » Wed, 9. Sep 15, 03:46

Is there a continually updated list or group of player owned ships and stations available within the system, or will I need to maintain something like that myself?

strude
x4

Post by strude » Mon, 14. Sep 15, 11:34

In addition to my above question, if I don't set instantiate="true" for a cue does that mean it will only run one time ever, even if the conditions are met again?

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Mon, 14. Sep 15, 19:13

1. you have to search for/Find Player Objects every time you need them i think (or implement such a group yourself, its only basic signal usage and updating Groups anyway)

2. Basically yes, but if the parent cue is instantiated it will run once per instance of the parent cue, or you can also use <reset_cue/> if you want to activate it again, here an (untested) usage example:

<library name="Payment">
      <params>
        <param name="actor"/>
      </params>
      <actions>
        <do_if value="not $actor.exists">
          <debug_text filter="error" text="'UT_CAC_Lib.Payment canceled because no valid Actor given'"/>
          <cancel_cue cue="this"/>
        </do_if>
        <do_if value="not $actor.$wage">
          <debug_text filter="general" text="'UT_CAC_Lib.Payment fell back to default Wage of 1Cr/h because no valid amount defined on Actor'"/>
          <set_value name="$actor.$wage" exact="1Cr"/>
        </do_if>
        <do_if value="not $actor.$riskbonus">
          <debug_text filter="general" text="'UT_CAC_Lib.Payment fell back to default Riskbonus of hourly Wage per 10min interval because no valid amount defined on Actor'"/>
          <set_value name="$actor.$riskbonus" exact="$actor.wage"/>
        </do_if>
      </actions>
      <cues>
        <cue name="Wage" comment="Wages are paid hourly">
          <actions>
            <!-- ToDo: Check if there is enough Money available and do apporiate steps if not (for example reduce skill or stop working for the Player altogether) -->
            <set_value name="$actor.money" exact="$actor.money - $actor.wage"/>
          </actions>
          <cues>
            <cue name="Wage_reset">
              <delay exact="1h"/>
              <actions>
                <reset_cue cue="Wage"/>
              </actions>
            </cue>
          </cues>
        </cue>
        <cue name="Riskbonus" comment="Risk Bonus is paid every 10 min while $actor.container is under Attack/in danger">
          <conditions>
            <event_object_attacked object="$actor.container"/>
          </conditions>
          <actions>
            <!-- ToDo: Check if there is enough Money available and do apporiate steps if not (for example reduce skill or stop working for the Player altogether) -->
            <!-- ToDo: Check if the Attack is serious by comparing Attack Forces with nearby own Forces - if it is no serious Attack reset this cue without demanding any bonus -->
            <set_value name="$actor.money" exact="$actor.money - $actor.riskbonus"/>
          </actions>
          <cues>
            <cue name="Riskbonus_reset">
              <delay exact="10min"/>
              <actions>
                <reset_cue cue="Riskbonus"/>
              </actions>
            </cue>
          </cues>
        </cue>
      </cues>
    </library>

strude
x4

Post by strude » Thu, 17. Sep 15, 12:26

Can someone tell me what would cause this error?

[=ERROR=] FATAL ERROR (version 3.60 - Code revision: 198327): A fatal error has occurred and X cannot recover:
VideoBaseClass::GetNewRenderQueue() Out of render queues
Version: 3.60 - Code revision: 198327

Please inform EGOSOFT GmbH technical support.
Last item in the log after crash to desktop. Crash occurred when I selected the button to open the mission briefing for one of the upkeep missions I've created.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Thu, 17. Sep 15, 12:47

Sounds weird to me.. Can you provide the code creating this mission? My guess that this is caused by a missing video or animation in the briefing menu...

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”