OS X support thread

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Mon, 8. Jun 15, 15:09

@fannt76 - I played the campaign to the point where you arrive at Ren's freighter for the first time. Two drones attacked me and I could target them and shoot them ( without my desktop being swiped to the side ). I was playing in windowed mode on desktop 1.

Were you playing fullscreen or borderless?
Does anyone else experience this issue ?

I doubt it's game-specific, but if you send me your savegame (shortly before meeting the drones), I can give it a try anyway, see if I can reproduce it here.

For the broken graphics - do you have a screenshot? You can check which video-card you have by clicking on the apple-symbol (left-top), then "about this mac" and then "system report". Then select "Graphics/Displays" and you should see which card you have.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Mon, 8. Jun 15, 16:19

rboerdijk wrote:@fannt76 - I played the campaign to the point where you arrive at Ren's freighter for the first time. Two drones attacked me and I could target them and shoot them ( without my desktop being swiped to the side ). I was playing in windowed mode on desktop 1.

Were you playing fullscreen or borderless?
Does anyone else experience this issue ?

I doubt it's game-specific, but if you send me your savegame (shortly before meeting the drones), I can give it a try anyway, see if I can reproduce it here.

For the broken graphics - do you have a screenshot? You can check which video-card you have by clicking on the apple-symbol (left-top), then "about this mac" and then "system report". Then select "Graphics/Displays" and you should see which card you have.
Seems the issue was resolved, same username so I presume is the same user, from Steam forums:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/2870/disc ... 673805368/
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Eriru Drourojj
x4

Post by Eriru Drourojj » Fri, 19. Jun 15, 15:44

Hi,

Not really knowing anything about game development or programming, and probably some training involved but does apple's announcement at wwdc about making "Swift/Metal" open source change anything?
Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream, to kill him so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things!!! - Zap Brannigan

ladirection

Post by ladirection » Wed, 24. Jun 15, 18:37

I wanted to ask the same thing. I love this game so far but it's very taxing on my system. Do you plan on releasing a future update built on the Metal for OS X API?

ladirection

Post by ladirection » Thu, 25. Jun 15, 05:24

{post merged from a thread about freezes in the Windows version - CBJ}

I'm getting this exact same issue with the Mac OS X version of the game. I'm plying for about 15-20 minutes when the game starts lagging very bad and then it freezes completely for about 30-60 seconds.

Since I started playing, I try to play in short sessions just for that reason ;-)

My specs are :

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0F
SMC Version (system): 1.57f18
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0a29
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3560
gMux Version: 1.9.22

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Thu, 25. Jun 15, 09:47

ladirection wrote:I wanted to ask the same thing. I love this game so far but it's very taxing on my system. Do you plan on releasing a future update built on the Metal for OS X API?
No, I'd say (my personal opinion) it's almost completely out-of-question.
Vulkan is a very likely candidate when we decide to upgrade to a new API, though honestly that's quite a while in the future.
The only option for metal I see would be if it's similar enough to Vulkan that supporting it is trivial to implement. But if that's the case then I have to wonder why make a separate api in the first place?

Though we're constantly working on performance, and I think we can squeeze quite a bit more out of opengl, not to mention that on a typical well balanced system in most cases for our game the Universe/AI calculations are the bottleneck.

Edit: Looking at your system specs my best guess would be you're running out of gpu-ram. First of all avoid cmd-tabbing as it can result in framebuffers landing in system memory which kills performance (I've got plans to improve/workaround this). I'm also working on reducing memory usage in general.
Finally I'm considering adding support for setting lower-resolution textures and lower quality texture filtering (mostly for integrated gpus), but I can't promise when/if it'll happen.

Eriru Drourojj
x4

Post by Eriru Drourojj » Tue, 7. Jul 15, 11:07

Hi,

Just noticed that the Collector's Edition content is missing fro the steam game properties DLC tab, the related in-game menu shows the content as installed and the content folder is present also fortunately the space opera download can be started from the in-game main menu.
Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream, to kill him so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things!!! - Zap Brannigan

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Mon, 13. Jul 15, 14:52

@Eriru Drourojj - thanks for the feedback.

I checked with my account and seem to have to same issue. Forwarded some screenshots to our steam-expert who will discuss it with valve.

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Tue, 14. Jul 15, 10:10

Update: Collector's Edition content should now also be shown in the steam-client on OSX / Linux

Eriru Drourojj
x4

Post by Eriru Drourojj » Wed, 9. Sep 15, 15:59

Hi,

Thanks for that speedy update sorry for the slow response, has the final public 3.60 been rolled out to the OS X version? Also how goes progress on the port in general?

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Wed, 9. Sep 15, 16:12

Yes, we generally (try to) release all 3 platforms simultaneously.

I made a start with Gamepad/Joystick support and some general performance improvements and Timon investigated some gpu-vendor specific performance issues and graphics issues ( some of those changes which will probably land in the XR codebase very soon ). We also made sure the "next project" runs on osx/linux ( required porting of some shaders and various other things ).

The plan is to continue with "known" linux/osx issues ( mainly missing gfx features, joystick, things like icon-colors on the map, ... ). Note: that that plan can always change, depending on priorities of our various tasks :)

Eriru Drourojj
x4

Post by Eriru Drourojj » Wed, 9. Sep 15, 23:58

Great stuff thanks for replying, I have been interested in looking into alternate controls but i'm unsure of of any OS X compatibility in general. Are the likes of the Saitek flight sticks on your list?

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Thu, 10. Sep 15, 10:49

We intend to use the generic joystick support which SDL2 offers - basically replacing the "lower-level" code - and feeding axis/buttons/values back to the "higher level" joystick code ( which does something with the values and allows you to map it to some action ). I don't intend to change the higher-level-code.

Question to you - since you own the Saitek - did you try it in XR under windows, and does it work as you expect?

Eriru Drourojj
x4

Post by Eriru Drourojj » Thu, 10. Sep 15, 14:57

Sorry no i don't own a Saitek but was interested in maybe getting one, at present I have a xbox 360 and one controller. Someone has made a driver for the xbox one controller to run in OS X but XR doesn't recognise the input, but other steam games do.

primus2000
x4

Post by primus2000 » Wed, 7. Oct 15, 09:32

HI together
i have opened another thread , but maybe my issue has got something to do with my game running on OS X .

First at all my game is running super stable , 36 Hours are no problem even working on another desktop , even doing some Video rendering.

Now my Problems :
I started a free game , after nearly 150 hours all shipyards are empty with resources and drones but they don't buy any stuff . So the game is kinda stuck . The shipyards have been attacked , some other guys told me that they should been repaired , but even after 40 hours nothing happened .
My guess is that most of the stations are stuck . I see most of the resources are not needed ,when i check my trading computer .
Does anybody have an idea ?

Second little issue : sometimes i cannot move , and then i am stuck , cannot save , only last chance is when launched to find another ship and activate for a short moment the autopilot . Nothing really bad only when i didn't save the game for a few hours .

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”