[Plugin][LU] Galactic News Service - LU Edition

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

solarahawk
x4

[Plugin][LU] Galactic News Service - LU Edition

Post by solarahawk » Wed, 17. Jun 15, 03:45

The Galactic News Service for Litcube's Universe

Latest Update: [2015-12-25] - v1.0.1b

This is an updated and revamped version of the X-Tended Galactic News System plugin for TC and AP. GNS - LU Edition has been updated specifically to provide Litcube's Universe with a central news service.

From the original XT GNS Guide:
Welcome to the GNS. As many people in X3: Terran Conflict missed the old BBS-System from X3:Reunion, we have developed a new system, which allows news to be available to the player in a similar fashion as X3:Reunion.
This plugin is meant to be used by modders, but anyone can install it right away and experience the random static news articles available in the universe. GNS will be a prerequisite plugin for other LU plugins, such as the Anarkis Pirate Guild, to publish newsworthy events. This will add color and life to the universe by allowing you to hear about interesting, actual in-game events happening as a result of these plugins, and one day, you might even read about your own deeds and growing fame in the universe.

As mentioned, the GNS does come with a set of static news articles that it will randomly display when you open your local News Console. These are primarily to add a small bit of color and fill in the gaps when there isn't much dynamic news to report, but be aware that these articles were imported by the XTC team from X3: Reunion. Thus, in this initial version, there is a chance some news items may pop up that are a bit anachronistic for LU (sound a bit odd because they discuss things that are a bit different in the LU universe). My primary focus is on creating dynamic content that can be published to the News Service, but if I have time, I will see about reviewing the static news channel for any possible updates or improvements that it might need. Anyone is VERY welcome to taking a look at the t-file 9500-L044.xml and providing me with an updated news list (including additional or different tags). Contact me on the Egosoft forums, if you have suggestions or updates to send me.

Changes from XT GNS plugin:

The primary change in this updated plugin is the original News Console has been significantly rewritten in order to use LU's Dynamic Menus framework. This not only improves the responsiveness of the News Console so there is no flicker, but dynamic articles automatically appear and disappear as they are added to the news service or when they expire. I also have some additional, rough ideas for extending the new dynamic News Console to provide other centralized information services, such as an improved comm system and bulletin board for the Anarkis Guilds (to be announced in the future.)

I have also written and provided a tutorial/example plugin, GNS - Dynamic News Generator, which can optionally be installed. This plugin generates dummy dynamic news, so you can observe the different ways dynamic news articles can show up in the universe. This plugin is also documented in the script comments, to show modders how they can add GNS services to their own plugins. In particular, take a look at al.GNS.DNGenerator.Tick for creating a new article and submitting it to GNS.

Other changes to this plugin involved removing legacy code for the XTC mod, and various tweaks for LU.

Download:

Zip Archive (Mediafire):

Full Documentation Guide for Players and Modders (also included with the main plugin package):

Installation:

Excluding the PDF which is not needed, copy the addon\ folder in the archive into your X3 root directory. The GNS plugin is automatically available in your game once it is installed. The optional testing plugin is provided in a second folder in the archive, named "ForModders/GNS-DynamicNewsGenerator". Only copy its files if you wish to use the plugin.

* Note that not all articles will be published for your current sector or region. If you move around the galaxy, you may see news articles that were not visible in other locations.

To install the news generator plugin, copy its addon\ folder to your X3 root directory, and in the game, enable the plugin in the Gameplay-> Artificial Life Settings menu. To uninstall the plugin, first disable it in the AL menu. When the plugin displays the message box stating it has been disabled, save your game and quit. Then remove the plugin files from the addon\ folder.

Start a new game or load a saved game:

To open a newspaper you will need to define a hot-key in the interface section of LU’s control setup options menu. After this has been done, you will just need to press that key for a newspaper to open. The system will open a newspaper that will be based on the owner of the sector you are in (if a newspaper is available). The selection of static articles will be random within the available pool of articles that are available to that race.

The usage of the plugin should be self-explaining: click on an article to view it. There is also an option to save articles to a personal clipboard for later reading.

How to Use in Your Own Plugin:

Don't bundle this plugin into your own. Instead, list this package as a prerequisite. All bugfixes and feature improvements for this system in LU need to be coordinated through this package. The Dynamic News features, particularly the "API" for adding news to the system, can be considered stable and should not change much in the future.

Read the supplied PDF guide and play with the News Generator. Adding dynamic news to GNS is very simple. It should take very little effort to see how you can publish your plugin's events.

Finally, please feel free to forward feature requests and ideas for improvements to me. Hopefully, as we get more community plugins using GNS, new ideas about how to leverage this system will spring forward.

Compatibility and Index of Plugins Using GNS (including upcoming projects):

:arrow: GNS-LU should be compatible with all mods and plugins for LU.
  • :star: (in development) EMS - LU Emergent Mission System
    Existing EMS missions are beginning to be revamped. One goal is to integrate GNS support into the missions, and leverage the News Console for richer mission interaction.

:star: (future) Anarkis Pirate Guild
    Guild comms and missions will be integrated with EMS and GNS to add more Pirate-y life to the universe. :pirat: :skull:

Credits:

Credit for the code on which the Galactic News Service - LU Edition is based, goes to the X-Tended Team who developed and released the original GNS plugin (available here). Many thanks to everyone on that team for their amazing work, and for enenra granting me permission to release this updated package.
Last edited by X2-Illuminatus on Sun, 22. Oct 23, 12:56, edited 12 times in total.
Reason: fixed download link display

solarahawk
x4

Post by solarahawk » Wed, 17. Jun 15, 03:51

Change log:

v1.0.1 - Fixed: errors in T-file related to active racial news networks; typos in retrieving those news network ids when opening the News Console.
Last edited by solarahawk on Sat, 26. Dec 15, 05:23, edited 2 times in total.

caishow2
x3ap

Post by caishow2 » Wed, 17. Jun 15, 07:35

Good

Please send the script to my email
Thank you

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Wed, 17. Jun 15, 09:21

Nice work !

vukica
x4

Post by vukica » Wed, 17. Jun 15, 11:33

you do realize what this means? :twisted:
Split say NEED MORE FIREPOWER!!

solarahawk
x4

Post by solarahawk » Wed, 17. Jun 15, 11:36

Umm... no, what? (I'm a little scared to ask.) :P

P.S. Posted XDownloads mirror

Informer
x4

Post by Informer » Wed, 17. Jun 15, 13:36

Great work, have to try this tonight. :)
Information is power. But like all power, there are those who want to keep it for themselves (Aaron Swartz you will live forever)

vukica
x4

Post by vukica » Wed, 17. Jun 15, 13:50

solarahawk wrote:Umm... no, what? (I'm a little scared to ask.) :P
you should be.
Split say NEED MORE FIREPOWER!!

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Fri, 24. Jul 15, 19:20

Hey solarhawk,

Sadly I cannot make this work. When I hit the hotkey, nothing happens, whatever sector I'm in.
Watiszepwoblem?

I even included my own articles before testing it :)

solarahawk
x4

Post by solarahawk » Tue, 28. Jul 15, 20:00

Hmm, really? So, when you hit the hotkey, in open space (not docked in a station) the interface isn't opening? Weird. Let me tinker around with it, and I'll get back to you.

I have a newer version sitting on my system with some expanded features to use with the EMS mission system, but Real-Life hit me with a big stick, and I haven't had a chance to finish polishing it up.

solarahawk
x4

Post by solarahawk » Mon, 24. Aug 15, 23:41

Hey Joubarbe,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I have been looking at the GNS plugin to try to see where your problem might be coming from. With a plain, vanilla LU install, I can't replicate the issue. Have you tried running the plugin before you added your news items? How did you add those news items? As a new t-file? Which sector were you in at the time?

It is strange, because this initial version is basically the same code as the original X-Tended plugin. Even without any dynamic news being generated, hitting the GNS hotkey should just pop up the News console and show you a random selection of static articles. It shouldn't matter which sector you are in either, because if you pull up the News console in a sector that doesn't have service (Xenon, Unknown, etc.) the system will just say no news service is available.

egeis
x2

Post by egeis » Fri, 28. Aug 15, 20:55

I'm sort of new to x3, i could not stand the vanilla and never knew what mods would improve the game so left. I recently came back and found LU to be the mod i needed, the game is playable, challenging, and fun.

I installed LU using the instruction on the wiki, base->update (52)->soundtrack->GUI. I also added EMS, Bounce, and several others (non-mission) mods from the LU mods topic.

The Setup Script appears to run in the script editor, I bound the GNS news key under Interface->Extensions. But am receiving the message "Galactic News Service is unavailable." After several hours of gameplace I'll check it and see a few items but when I reopen some time later its unavailable again (same sector).

Not sure what I did wrong installing...

egeis
x2

Post by egeis » Sat, 29. Aug 15, 04:04

I added the "for modders" addon as well, and 6 hours later after I left the "Sol System" I finally got some articles...

solarahawk
x4

Post by solarahawk » Tue, 1. Sep 15, 03:11

Hmm, "Galactic News Service is unavailable" is what the module is supposed to say when you open the News console in a sector that doesn't have a news service. I will have to pop the plugin open to refresh my memory exactly, but off the top of my head, the only types of sectors with no news services are Xenon, OCV, and Unknown. (Maybe Yaki? I can't remember whether they were given a default news service or not.)

If you were in Terran sectors the whole time you were trying to access the GNS and you were getting the Not Available message that is not intended. In Terran sectors you should be accessing a United Terran News service (the actual name is close to that, I forget exactly, but I changed it from the original name used in the X-tended plugin.)

I suppose if anyone continues to run into weirdnesses with news availability, I could add a debug mode that allows you to toggle some additional info onscreen or into a log file. Could help us to identify what is causing these behaviors to crawl in.

egeis
x2

Post by egeis » Wed, 2. Sep 15, 07:31

I had to do a re-install, lost the game and decided to try the game with on the vanilla map rather than the modded map on in the LU mods page. Same issue, in Jupiter and no news is available, same with Earth.

solarahawk
x4

Post by solarahawk » Sat, 26. Dec 15, 05:19

New Version: 1.0.1b

Uploaded corrected version of the GNS. News channels are now available in all sectors they are supposed to be: Argon, Boron, Goner, Paranid, Split, Teladi, and Terran.

Edit: Just uploaded a quick update, removing a debug logging statement I just remembered I forgot to remove.

Joelnh
x3tc

Post by Joelnh » Mon, 25. Apr 16, 19:52

Any plans to add Teladi repair service?

I haven't used this in awhile, and was thinking of adding it for immersion.

dreamer2008
x4

Post by dreamer2008 » Fri, 7. Oct 16, 10:17

Hello! Thanks for the mod, but I have a problem. It seems that I get no news in the Terran sectors, with one of the XM-R starts, the Terran explorer. I can enter the menu but it shows "Galactic News Service is unavailable". Do they start appearing later in the game? In the argon start I can see the news right from the beginning.

I use LU+XM-R+IEX+cockpits + a few scripts from the compatible mods page.

GunthorNC
x3tc

Re: [Plugin][LU] Galactic News Service - LU Edition

Post by GunthorNC » Fri, 13. Oct 23, 02:48

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”