Start new: script or md presence

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Gligli
x3ap

Start new: script or md presence

Post by Gligli » Sat, 1. Aug 15, 12:08

Hello here.
I have the idea to use refreshai refreshmd command lines.
But first I wonder how they behave on... nothing :) (or not)

When I start new, I assume that scripts or md are already running. Is that right?
And if I launch one of these command directly, will something happen, stop or killed?
Even on new Free-play?
On se rend vers la connaissance avec circonspection.
c.a.d, avec un immense respect et la peur au ventre.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Sat, 1. Aug 15, 12:58

Hi Gligli, refreshai reloads the ai scripts, so they're updated with any changes you have made in the ai scripts. Very useful when tweaking timings, thresholds, and other small values; but for big structural changes or changes in variables, I prefer to restart the game to flush the debuglog if for nothing else. Not sure about refreshmd because I don't play with md much, but I expect it's much the same.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Sat, 1. Aug 15, 13:41

Its similar to saving & reloading, but I prefer to just load a save where I have prepared all the stuff I need to do my testing.. Also it's easier to work with the debuglog if its as short as necessary and currently I log many messages to verify everything works as planned so usually I even restart the game
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Gligli
x3ap

Post by Gligli » Sun, 2. Aug 15, 17:47

Thx for this first shot :)

Is there a vanilla catalog(ue) for scripts and md's ?

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Sun, 2. Aug 15, 18:05

you mean a certain cat/dat where they are? no idea, but i doubt that.. Cats/Dats are added with patches and files inside replace older ones, so its more like a collection of patch states (ok, maybe excluding the ones which are present at release)

i would suggest to extract them all into a seperate folder for lookup for serious Modding, this makes looking up stuff easier and this way they are searchable by standard tools..

or did you ask because you want to add your own? if yes just drop them into your Mod in the related Folder, thats all needed ;)

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Gligli
x3ap

Post by Gligli » Sun, 2. Aug 15, 18:39

UniTrader wrote:you mean a certain cat/dat where they are?
Yup. to have even an approximation of the vanilla content... or to reverse eng :)
UniTrader wrote:i would suggest to extract them all into a seperate folder for lookup for serious Modding, this makes looking up stuff easier and this way they are searchable by standard tools..
If I understand well, I shall unpack the whole thing to browse it?
I'll look if procedure I saw few days ago was the deal:)
if someone did not already dress the list...
UniTrader wrote:or did you ask because you want to add your own?
I still wonder if that will come... One day... :)

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Sun, 2. Aug 15, 18:48

well, i made a batch file for extracting the whole thing.. takes about 15 minutes

just put this in a bat next to EGOs cat toll in the "X Rebirth Tools" Folder:

Code: Select all

mkdir "..\X Rebirth\XR_extracted"
XRcatTool.exe -in "..\X Rebirth\01.cat" "..\X Rebirth\02.cat" "..\X Rebirth\03.cat" "..\X Rebirth\04.cat" "..\X Rebirth\05.cat" "..\X Rebirth\06.cat" "..\X Rebirth\07.cat" "..\X Rebirth\08.cat" "..\X Rebirth\09.cat" -out "..\X Rebirth\XR_extracted"
execute it and you will find the extracted stuff in the latest Version in the folder XR_extracted

Gligli
x3ap

Post by Gligli » Mon, 3. Aug 15, 13:01

Thx
but before starting, I'd like to know if the whole script & mod procedure is supported by linux. Or if I shall swap to Windows back (I won't :))

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Mon, 3. Aug 15, 13:05

Yup! Guidelines here for ensuring linux compatibility.

By the way, could we please sticky that thread? It's starting to sink, and is extremely useful. Or is it linked to in the Tools, Tutorials, and Resources thread?

Gligli
x3ap

Post by Gligli » Mon, 3. Aug 15, 14:10

Thx.
For information:
As linux modders, don't you use Debug log ? it crashes when I attempt to copy to clipboard (untouched it seems normal :))

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Mon, 3. Aug 15, 14:15

I find it clunky. I prefer to set this in the game's launch options:

-debug all -logfile debuglog.txt

This generates a text file in the directory right above the save folder. Easier to search at leisure.

Can get crowded there, though. Helps to prefix all variables with something consistent. That way, can usually just search for the prefix.

Gligli
x3ap

Post by Gligli » Mon, 3. Aug 15, 14:17

Exactly what I need.
Thanks again

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Mon, 3. Aug 15, 17:09

Debuglog should also be written to stdout or stderr I think if you want to watch it live

Also <debug_text/> is very useful if you want to log what your script is actually doing, best if you use the right levels - made heavy use of this in my Trade script to see if there are any logical errors (default output is on level general and if its logged depends on whether a var on the executing entity is set and if something serious happens its always written to the debuglog on error log level

CulunTse
x4

Post by CulunTse » Fri, 7. Aug 15, 16:42

w.evans wrote:.. could we please sticky that thread? It's starting to sink, and is extremely useful. Or is it linked to in the Tools, Tutorials, and Resources thread?
Ketraar was kind enough to link my humble topic in his index thread

@Gligli: thanks for taking compatibility in consideration! (*waves at fellow Linux gamer*)

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”