Will there be done something about DeVries Economy?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Which of the mentioned changes should be implemented?

fix expansion; expand expansion; do the production thing; add new resources
40%
fix expansion; expand expansion; do the production thing
20%
fix expansion; expand expansion; add new resources
3%
fix expansion; do the production thing; add new resources
No votes
fix expansion; expand expansion
5%
fix expansion; do the production thing
3%
fix expansion; add new resources
3%
only fix the expansion
5%
I don't care
10%
I don't want this
13%

Total votes: 40

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Will there be done something about DeVries Economy?

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Thu, 23. Jul 15, 22:18

In a Freeplay Game, DeVries is totally deserted.
In a Plot game the situation as a bit better, as the AI starts to build some stations, through still bad, the main problem here is that the NPC CV's can be destroyed and won't be replaced.

Existing problems:
No expansion in free game.
expansion CV's wont be replaced (3.6.0 fix doesn't work), in older Saves where the CV was destroyed before 3.6.0 beta 3.
expansion is to weak, there aren't enough sinks for a player economy, as the new shipyard wont be expanded enough.
Habitats stop consuming foodrations, because their storage becomes overfilled, because food is also their product.
DeVries doesn't have a production for spices.
The Shipyard is pretty useless without a player economy.
PMC Overwatch blocks essential resources while existing.

My Recommendations:
1. Fix the expansion:
CV's should be replaced if destroyed.(mostly redundant since 3.6.0 beta 3, however older Saves aren't fixed)
Expansion should be present in a freegame, too, once the player build his first factory in DeVries.
2. Expand the expansion:
If the player builds additional stations, the current expansion NPC stations should be expanded with additional modules.
3. Fix existing productions:
Spices as secondary resources for the cristal place.
A unique silicon wafers production for the plot station being a bit less productive than standard but only requiring raw crystals instead of cut crystals, as these aren't available in DeVries.
Habitats should produce something else, my recommendation:
Habitatsproduce small amounts of building materials e.g. 5RMP/hour and have refined metals and silicon wafers with a +400% bonus as secondary resources, primary resources should remain unchanged.
Lore-explaination: There is realy much scrap in DeVries which could be recycled and there are many inhabitant on the habitats without anything to do, @400%bonus you can repair things much better if you have some spare parts.
By the Way this would integrate the Plotstation much better into DeVries, without producing too much and disturbing the balancing, and it would makes building ships and stations(including the plot station) much easier.
4. Add additional resources:
Add hydrogen ion and plasma to glaring Truth, @Lore: hydrogen ion and plasma should be present in the corona of the sun.
Add Crystals to Molten Archon
As DeVries is meant as some sort of fortress against PMC it's bad design to let it's economy fail only because PMC established a bridgehead in bleak Pebble and blocks it's Jump Beacon.
Last edited by ubuntufreakdragon on Fri, 1. Apr 16, 15:52, edited 4 times in total.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

w.evans
x4

Re: Will there be done something about DeVries Economy?

Post by w.evans » Thu, 23. Jul 15, 23:10

ubuntufreakdragon wrote:CV's should be replaced if destroyed.
This was mentioned fixed in 3.60 Beta 3. Wasn't it fixed?
ubuntufreakdragon wrote:Expansion should be present in a freegame, too, once the player build his first factory in DeVries.
Yes
ubuntufreakdragon wrote:2. Expand the expansion:
If the player builds additional stations, the current expansion NPC stations should be expanded with additional modules.
Oh hell, yes, please.
ubuntufreakdragon wrote:3. Fix existing productions:
Spices as secondary resources for the cristal place.
A unique silicon wafers production for the plot station being a bit less productive than standard but only requiring raw crystals instead of cut crystals, as these aren't available in DeVries.
Habitats should produce something else, my recommendation:
Habitatsproduce small amounts of building materials e.g. 5RMP/hour and have refined metals and silicon wafers with a +400% bonus as secondary resources, primary resources should remain unchanged.
Lore-explaination: There is realy much scrap in DeVries which could be recycled and there are many inhabitant on the habitats without anything to do, @400%bonus you cant repair things much better if you have some spare parts.
By the Way this would integrate the Plotstation much better into DeVries, without producing too much and disturbing the balancing, and it would makes building ships and stations(including the plot station) much easier.
Yes, yes, yes, and yes. I find that last particularly well thought-out.
ubuntufreakdragon wrote:4. Add additional resources:
Add hydrogen ion and plasma to glaring Truth, @Lore: hydrogen ion and plasma should be present in the corona of the sun.
Add Crystals to Molten Archon
As DeVries is meant as some sort of fortress against PMC it's bad design to let it's economy fail only because PMC established a bridgehead in bleak Pebble and blocks it's Jump Beacon.
This last, not so much. I think it makes sense that DeVries is resource starved, both from a lore perspective, and from a gameplay perspective. Used to be an expansive mining colony, and the lack of resources could be attributed to it being simply tapped out, and also explains the dilapidated state of their stations. Gameplay:
Spoiler
Show
gives the player a reason to trade/raid/plunder out of DeVries, particularly in the plot.

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Thu, 23. Jul 15, 23:25

w.evans wrote:
Oh I've overlooked it :oops:
My X3 Mods

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Thu, 23. Jul 15, 23:36

Unfortunately no.... I had simular topic last year and acording to devs it is just a hell hole.... Personally i think that sector is still unfinished do to no connection between plot and actually gameplay. DV needs refined metals bad (acording to plot but nobody actually need them in game :cry: So i think DV is abandoned and it wont see much attention by devs....
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Fri, 24. Jul 15, 01:25

ubuntufreakdragon wrote:
w.evans wrote:
Oh I've overlooked it :oops:
You may both be half correct depending on the exact meaning of the fix (sorry if I have misunderstood either of you). One possible interpretation would be that replacement CVs are only ordered if the station is built to some extent. If the CV never reaches the build location, the fix may not apply.
CBJ wrote: • Beta 3 Fixed NPC built stations in the plot from sometimes never being completed by allowing a new builder ship to be ordered.
Edit: Nice suggestions. I am not sure where I stand on DV not having all basic resources. Whilst it remains impossible to impose the station-setting-based control over whether miners leave a sector or not (IIRC), I agree with adjusting Bleak Pebble plasma and/or jump beacon locations.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Fri, 24. Jul 15, 01:34

Thought I read a thread about it. Looked for it again, and you're right, Sparks, could mean that CVs are replaced only if station building has already begun.

Gligli
x3ap

"Too late for Devries" ?

Post by Gligli » Fri, 24. Jul 15, 11:01

I feel like the plot have been cut out here. There is a gap between "We need food and metal plates" and the construction of the URV station.
If it is, they probably cut something important for the plot to make Devries alive...

Facts are that as a newcomer, I escaped Devries when I saw that I probably miss something out there... and just didn't take enough time to think about it.
Though I'm not sure... The CV bug can change a lot of things, for ex...
Spoiler
Show
the DV-OL gate somehow invalidates the presence of PMC next to DV-AL gate
On se rend vers la connaissance avec circonspection.
c.a.d, avec un immense respect et la peur au ventre.

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Fri, 24. Jul 15, 17:02

Devris AI traders must be fixed.

It makes no sense that you set up shop there and they don't even trade with juicy deals you offer. For example, a station next to their shipyard offering very cheap something the shipyard wants.

Just to reflect some kind of common sense.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Fri, 24. Jul 15, 17:46

Theoretically, if you are selling something that a shipyard in the same zone wants and at a price lower than what it is offering in the Trade Window, the trade should also be able to occur via drones rather than just AI traders. If both stations have cargolifters available and trading doesn't seem to be occurring anyway, it would be worth a bug report.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Fri, 24. Jul 15, 17:55

note that this zone trading is very difficult to notice, even when you know it happens. currently writing a Manager Script and as temp measure copied the vanilla manager script and added some debug notes, so i knew from the debuglog some Trading with Energy Cells was happening, but i couldnt locate any of the Cargo Drones even though i searched for them.. probably because the amount was small - should have been about 5 drones in a busy masstraffic network, so its like looking for a needle in a haystack..
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Fri, 24. Jul 15, 18:04

ezra-r wrote:Devris AI traders must be fixed.

It makes no sense that you set up shop there and they don't even trade with juicy deals you offer. For example, a station next to their shipyard offering very cheap something the shipyard wants.

Just to reflect some kind of common sense.
beta patch log wrote:RC 1 Fixed station-owned ships ignoring non-player-owned stations when attempting to sell off products or leftover cargo from their homebase.
My X3 Mods

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Sat, 25. Jul 15, 15:46

• Beta 3 Fixed NPC built stations in the plot from sometimes never being completed by allowing a new builder ship to be ordered.
can someone check this out, it doesn't seam to work for me
My X3 Mods

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Sat, 25. Jul 15, 15:51

I have several stations in DeVries successfully built by the Canterans. No idea if it's all of them, though, and I haven't seen any Canteran CVs destroyed to verify that they're being replaced. Then again, I have DeVries heavily patrolled in my game.

Gligli
x3ap

Post by Gligli » Sat, 25. Jul 15, 22:41

I couldn't put a hand on it, but some were requesting "destroyed CV replacement in DV" in others topics... if that can help you.
On se rend vers la connaissance avec circonspection.
c.a.d, avec un immense respect et la peur au ventre.

SyberSmoke
x4

Post by SyberSmoke » Sun, 26. Jul 15, 08:33

As many may know, in X3:AP and TC there was a manager running in the background to offer build missions (place a station) and to have NPC's replace lost stations over time. But it looks like, because of the indestructible nature of the stations, that bit of software was not needed.

This of coarse limits how much can be done as the system can not offer "Please start building us this" missions. Sadly this messes up NPC's rebuilding DeVries on their own outside of scripted events like those in the plot. Combine that with the very limited inter system trading (I think I have seen two or three ships all with unique names) DeVries is just a playground for the player to spend time.

But I do agree that the plot just feels like things are missing. There are holes that SCREAM to be filled. This may be me, but it is just very choppy and there are bits that act like a segue to something else, but are abruptly handed off and left in the dust.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Mon, 27. Jul 15, 15:57

SyberSmoke wrote:....
DeVries is just a playground for the player to spend time.
i think CBJ wrote somewhere that exactly this is the intention behind DV...
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Mon, 27. Jul 15, 18:07

In-universe lore heavily implies a broken/barely-functioning economy for DeVries, i.e. things are working as the devs intended.

I don't see a problem with the area as is. It adds a bit of variety to the universe, sitting between developed Albion/Omicron Lyrae and the complete wasteland of Maelstrom. It's a good location for the player to build a self-contained economic system of his or her own, with lots of natural resources and space available and a modest military challenge posed by the Reiver presence.

Based on the events of the XR plot, I imagine DeVries establishing a more working economy in the future. By that time, the gate network will have expanded, allowing newly-added sectors to fill the role DeVries does in XR.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Tue, 28. Jul 15, 00:58

A5PECT wrote:I don't see a problem with the area as is. It adds a bit of variety to the universe, sitting between developed Albion/Omicron Lyrae and the complete wasteland of Maelstrom. I
Umm.. have you found a gate none of us are aware of? From DV you have to go (a long way) through OL to get to Maelstrom, is my understanding.. although if DV had a 'backdoor' to Maelstrom it would solve a few questions & make gameplay a little more interesting..
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Tue, 28. Jul 15, 01:16

A5PECT mean that figuratively rather than literally. As in, DV is between them if either occupy opposite ends of the development spectrum :)

SyberSmoke
x4

Post by SyberSmoke » Tue, 28. Jul 15, 10:42

UniTrader wrote:
SyberSmoke wrote:....
DeVries is just a playground for the player to spend time.
i think CBJ wrote somewhere that exactly this is the intention behind DV...
The problem is, while you can build stations there is a hole in it. It is just deeper then game play, it is psychological. You take this time to build the stations and get things going but they are not doing anything to also help them selves. There is no recognition of your efforts like "We of the Canterran people thank you for the Refined Metals this station will make." It is a sandbox missing half the sand and a bucket.

Early in my playing of the game I knew this would be the way it is. Once the scripting is done, with out something to fill that hole...what is the point after? Not to much. I believe this is a point the developers need to take to heart, there needs to be some feedback. Something in the game that says "We appreciate you building that, now we can rebuild this." So that it feels you, the player, has some impact on the universe instead it having that empty feeling you get from that 57th raid run through Molten Core.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”