What's the status?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

yoyolll

Post by yoyolll » Wed, 13. May 15, 04:25

Karmaticdamage wrote:
TDQuasar wrote:
Karmaticdamage wrote:The next game is the primary focus now it seems. Maybe they will call it "XR2: the greater threat" and we can fly all the ships again. Personally I might just hold out for XR3:AP as the sandbox is always best in the final installment.
Are they working on a new game? Could you give me a source, please?
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... 6&start=10
This is very very sad to hear. I liked egosoft a lot before XR. But they announce that most of their work is going towards a new game, while XR is still in such a poor state. All those people saying it was a cash grab from the beginning would be gloating if they were still around.
Intel Pentium II 233 Mhz
128 MB ram
i740 8 mb @ 220 Mhz
20gb HDD

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Wed, 13. May 15, 09:42

Read the whole sentence
but that by no means rules out further updates to XR nor future DLC for it.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Wed, 13. May 15, 15:21

yoyolll wrote: This is very very sad to hear. I liked egosoft a lot before XR. But they announce that most of their work is going towards a new game, while XR is still in such a poor state. All those people saying it was a cash grab from the beginning would be gloating if they were still around.
Why is it that sad..? They are finally working on an X4. You never liked XR anyway, should be happy that it's not the primary focus any more. :D
And actually who still play the game seem to like it.

Since they have worked for 8 years on it, i would not say cash grab. More like rush at the end and some bad ideas.

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Wed, 13. May 15, 15:53

pref wrote:They are finally working on an X4.
Erm, "We are definitely working in the direction of an X4" and "We are definitely working on X4" are two different things.
The first quote is from bernd, the second one was never said.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Thu, 14. May 15, 12:05

linolafett wrote:
pref wrote:They are finally working on an X4.
Erm, "We are definitely working in the direction of an X4" and "We are definitely working on X4" are two different things.
The first quote is from bernd, the second one was never said.
LOL.

1. You are working on the next title
2. You are working towards an X4.

This is called working on X4. Don't force your company's weird communication style on me please.
You guys would also be better off imo being clear about wth you are doing/planning :)

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Thu, 14. May 15, 12:08

Apparently the next game is going to run on XR engine, so any improvement made to X Rebirth will transfer over to that next game. Any work on XR is "working towards next game".

pref
x4

Post by pref » Thu, 14. May 15, 12:22

Earth Ultimatum IV. wrote:Apparently the next game is going to run on XR engine, so any improvement made to X Rebirth will transfer over to that next game. Any work on XR is "working towards next game".
XR and the next "in the direction of X4 but not X4" title will run on a different version of the engine they have.
My biggest hope is that many of the necessary improvements in XR will be made obsolate by the improvement on the engine for the next game.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Thu, 14. May 15, 12:38

Nanook wrote:
Luanda wrote:
Nanook wrote:The 'chatter' isn't the problem. It's the inability to interrupt it that causes all the grief. If they want to keep talking while I pilot my ship, arrange trades, or whatever else, that's ok. But freezing my controls during that meaningless chatter is completely unacceptable. Hopefully they're working on a 'fix' for this.
i mostly agree with this but in my views a hi! leave my squad. ok, bye! would be more than enough for chatting. but when you start assigning a fleet of fighters (lets say 20) to a capship and you always have to listen the 5 lines dialog of lets see how to chose the superior what ship do you have for me yes we are putting you through kinda discussion with its broken english and on the top uninterruptable... ...
My point is that you won't have to listen to those "5 lines dialog" if you can interrupt it. I do it all the time in the previous X games (for example, when selling a bunch of different wares at a station) and things move right along, skipping virtually all the repetitive dialog. So, in my opinion, being able to interrupt the dialog is the more important thing.
I don't think it applied to the long plot dialogues/video's audio, but much chatter can be skipped by bringing up the interaction menu when double-clicking on something in space. Not ideal and perhaps it is even a bug but it helps :)

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Thu, 14. May 15, 12:46

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:]
I don't think it applied to the long plot dialogues/video's audio, but much chatter can be skipped by bringing up the interaction menu when double-clicking on something in space.
Double-tapping the drone menu (T) is easier!
I don't really care about NPCs talking. If people want it removed or changed, be it. It's irrevelant to me.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 14. May 15, 12:51

pref wrote:1. You are working on the next title

This is called working on X4.
No, it is not, and this kind of misinterpretation is exactly the reason for what you describe as the "weird communication style".

Everyone's idea of what an "X4" would be like is likely to be different, but most people would interpret it either as a new game using the X3 engine, or as a game using the XR engine but with all the features of X3 and more. Neither of those accurately describes what we are doing.

We are using the XR engine, yes, and we are working on adding features, such as flying different ships, that will take various aspects of the gameplay more in the direction of the previous series. We have taken on board the feedback we've had since the release of XR and we hope that the new game will appeal both to those who enjoy XR and to those who preferred the previous series. That's what we mean by working "towards" a more X4-like game.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Thu, 14. May 15, 13:07

CBJ wrote:We are using the XR engine, yes, and we are working on adding features, such as flying different ships
There ya go... I've been saying this for one and half year :)

pref
x4

Post by pref » Thu, 14. May 15, 16:41

CBJ wrote:

No, it is not, and this kind of misinterpretation is exactly the reason for what you describe as the "weird communication style".

Everyone's idea of what an "X4" would be like is likely to be different, but most people would interpret it either as a new game using the X3 engine, or as a game using the XR engine but with all the features of X3 and more. Neither of those accurately describes what we are doing.

We are using the XR engine, yes, and we are working on adding features, such as flying different ships, that will take various aspects of the gameplay more in the direction of the previous series. We have taken on board the feedback we've had since the release of XR and we hope that the new game will appeal both to those who enjoy XR and to those who preferred the previous series. That's what we mean by working "towards" a more X4-like game.
You will always get people that do not like something, no matter how good you do it.
In my book this is X4 - after a try at a different game style you guys return to the direction/evolution of the previous games in the series.
Afterall most of the 'X4 requests' are about having features from X3, or a more fluent UI. More like finetuning XR to support larger scale or longer sandbox gameplay.

If there is no urgency to release the next game, im sure it will be nice.
But i still feel that a more clear message would not hurt however - what you have to communicate now sounds discouragingly uncertain occasionally.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 14. May 15, 17:53

CBJ wrote: We are using the XR engine, yes, and we are working on adding features, such as flying different ships, that will take various aspects of the gameplay more in the direction of the previous series. We have taken on board the feedback we've had since the release of XR and we hope that the new game will appeal both to those who enjoy XR and to those who preferred the previous series. That's what we mean by working "towards" a more X4-like game.
That's enough details to keep me interested. I don't even care about flying diffrent ships. I hope you will be able to breake the glass celing in form of always nightmarish GUI that require a lot of needless clicking, browsing, dialogues for most basic (which means most often used) things, like fleet commands and fleet management.

For the unique game that allow you to have a huge personal empire it has bizzare GUI that start to be pain in the a** after you have more than a few station and dozen ships.

Second thing is that for the game tha allow you to have a huge empire it was always problem to have anything interesting to do with that huge empire (like conquer the galaxy - it's not possible due to constant NPC ships respawn). I mean even station missions do not scale up beyond some point which requires you to have only one big ship (no need for the fleet).

Going towards big empire is a lot of fun, but once you get there you are really bored because there is nothing interesting left to do.

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Thu, 14. May 15, 18:55

CBJ wrote:

This sounds promising, indeed. My perfect X4 would be just as you describe; combining the good elements of X3 and XR.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Thu, 14. May 15, 19:46

CBJ wrote:We have taken on board the feedback we've had since the release of XR and we hope that the new game will appeal both to those who enjoy XR and to those who preferred the previous series.
There was a lot of feedback in the forums, it could be very interesting to know roughly how it was processed and what are the main points that Egosoft thinks that player feedback affects regarding the game.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

yoyolll

Post by yoyolll » Thu, 14. May 15, 20:41

santi wrote:
CBJ wrote:We have taken on board the feedback we've had since the release of XR and we hope that the new game will appeal both to those who enjoy XR and to those who preferred the previous series.
There was a lot of feedback in the forums, it could be very interesting to know roughly how it was processed and what are the main points that Egosoft thinks that player feedback affects regarding the game.
Fully agree with this. Even just a few major bulletpoints would be encouraging.

Normally, I feel that video game fans ranting on forums about game design are analogous to football fans yelling at a professional coach and telling him how to run his team. However, after X:R I think egosoft can only benefit from listening to the few people that are still straggling around on this forum discussing the issues in the game.
Intel Pentium II 233 Mhz
128 MB ram
i740 8 mb @ 220 Mhz
20gb HDD

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Thu, 14. May 15, 21:27

santi wrote:
+1
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

Karmaticdamage
x4

Post by Karmaticdamage » Fri, 15. May 15, 04:02

Theirs still a lot of issues to be resolved in XR though. Not talking features, theirs bugs and memory leaks that need tended too. The game runs slower and slower the longer my play sessions go and i'm forced to close and restart the game. Its still possible to clip through stations and ships, getting trapped in the process. Working on new features for a new game is fine a dandy but the previous game still needs fixing.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Fri, 15. May 15, 04:11

when ego handles this like x3 i dont see a problem there - new content and features for the newest game, bugfixes and maybe a bit of the features (like e.g. scripting commands) also get backported to earlier games
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Fri, 15. May 15, 07:59

Karmaticdamage wrote:Theirs still a lot of issues to be resolved in XR though. Not talking features, theirs bugs and memory leaks that need tended too. The game runs slower and slower the longer my play sessions go and i'm forced to close and restart the game. Its still possible to clip through stations and ships, getting trapped in the process. Working on new features for a new game is fine a dandy but the previous game still needs fixing.
I have not witnessed this slow down myself but the game is 64-bit and I do have 32GB of RAM.

How much RAM do you have installed in your system?
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”