We need a salvage ship please!

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Vandragorax
x4

We need a salvage ship please!

Post by Vandragorax » Thu, 12. Mar 15, 17:47

I was thinking recently that I really wish I could clear up all these capital ship wrecks from space. Then I thought, why don't we have some kind of salvage ship?

Egosoft, how about adding this for us please? :D Think an L/XL size capital, maybe using repair drones to deconstruct a target wreck and turn it either directly into credits for the player, or perhaps it has some kind of internal processing unit which makes it into metal plates at a much lower rate than the factories.

Then we could order it to sell the plates for profitssss!

I'd really love to have this kind of ship in my squad following me around for when I want to just blow up some Titurels instead of capping them all the time. At least I'd get something out of it, and I could also start a huge salvage business by basically finding a sector where opposing factions are having a full-scale war and just cleaning up the pieces :D

What do people think?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 12. Mar 15, 19:14

Sounds like a cool idea to me. However, I think I'd have the salvage ship convert the debris into basic raw materials rather than manufacturing something out of it. That's how recycling usually works, so it would make sense to get a certain percentage of ore, silicon, crystals, etc. out of the wreck. Maybe a few salvageable parts as well, as a random bonus. Also, the longer the wreck is around, the less can be salvaged from it, simulating local scavengers at work. So something you blew up would have a lot, while a wreck that you discover may have very little.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Thu, 12. Mar 15, 19:15

Nanook wrote:Sounds like a cool idea to me. However, I think I'd have the salvage ship convert the debris into basic raw materials rather than manufacturing something out of it. That's how recycling usually works, so it would make sense to get a certain percentage of ore, silicon, crystals, etc. out of the wreck. Maybe a few salvageable parts as well, as a random bonus. Also, the longer the wreck is around, the less can be salvaged from it, simulating local scavengers at work. So something you blew up would have a lot, while a wreck that you discover may have very little.
Yes, that's how it should be done.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Thu, 12. Mar 15, 19:45

Sounds good to me, it doesn't have to have an on-board metal producing facility :) However I disagree about the longer the wreck is around, the less you get from it. I think if it was always a set amount for whatever the ship type was, it would encourage a new playstyle where you could literally go around the galaxy finding where fights have broken out and looting the salvage/scrap as spoils, you wouldn't want this to be so minimal that it wouldn't be worth it.

Also Egosoft could dot around a few "special" wrecks (hell we have enough wreckage fields already in all the sectors) which maybe could even be scanned for which ones contained the best salvage, and those would give better rewards!

So, Egosoft, please add this to your near-term plan! ;)

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 12. Mar 15, 19:57

BlackDemon wrote:Sounds good to me, it doesn't have to have an on-board metal producing facility :) However I disagree about the longer the wreck is around, the less you get from it. I think if it was always a set amount for whatever the ship type was, it would encourage a new playstyle where you could literally go around the galaxy finding where fights have broken out and looting the salvage/scrap as spoils, you wouldn't want this to be so minimal that it wouldn't be worth it....
You do realize that currently the wrecks do degrade and gradually disappear over time. I'd say having less salvage the longer it's there would encourage the salvage player to be proactive in looking around. It would also make the discovery that much more exciting when they stumble across an ongoing or just finished battle. Otherwise, it just becomes "hohum, another wreck to salvage, just like the last one."
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Thu, 12. Mar 15, 20:00

Yeah maybe. I'm not sure which method would be better to be honest. We need to get it implemented by the devs and try it out to decide for ourselves ;)

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 12. Mar 15, 20:06

Maybe you can get one of our talented modders to make something similar as an experiment. That way, Egosoft might be more inspired to implement it. :wink:

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Thu, 12. Mar 15, 20:16

Good idea, I shall try the modding section and see if anyone can do it! :)

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”