Updated to v0.02.
- External shield increase adjusted down considerably.
Brought recharge rates back down to vanilla levels.
What is this mod?
Got pissed off by capital ships getting one-shotted all the time OOZ, so I strengthened their shields. Interestingly, I don't yet know if it'll have any effect OOZ.* Makes capital ships a lot tougher IZ, though.
Not balanced yet, so they might rip stations to shreds. Consider yourselves warned.
* It works OOZ!
Observed effects in-game: (This is NOT a feature list. These effects have both good and bad ramifications.)
* Capital ships under attack in different zones now actually survive long enough for you to respond.
* Capital ships now much more powerful than small squads of fighters, with the possible exception of the new bomber. Those still hurt.
* More capital ships get disabled, and eventually repair, than get outright destroyed. -> Since much of the freighter traffic is handled by job quotas, the freighters and miners getting disabled rather than destroyed are not replaced, and this leads to a slowing down in the economy in general.
* Since marauding Titurels now survive longer, they are able to do more damage to stations in general, thereby leading to resource sinks as prices for basic resources constantly need replenishing, but also leading to slowing down of production of intermediate and end-level goods.
* Capital ships boosting into a zone are much more vulnerable than those that have stayed in that zone long enough to fully charge their shields. -> This gives a huge advantage to defending patrols vs attackers, all other things being equal.
Other than the obvious, what this means to me as a player is that I need to build a more diverse network of stations to eventually be able to completely vertically integrate. Lots of profits to be made selling to the economy in general, and basic and intermediate resources are now more profitable. While my ships do get damaged more often, sometimes cripplingly so, I haven't gotten a destroyed capship OOZ since running this mod. (I do have a quick response squad of 3 Arawns to deal with any distress calls.) This makes my trading and mining fleets more stable, and makes handling them more manageable and less frustrating.
While it does tend to slow down the economy, it doesn't seem to do so to the point of killing the economy outright... yet, even after I modified the job file to generate double the number of pirate Titurels. Will update this if that happens.
Extract into your "extensions" directory.
Disable in your in-game "Extensions" menu, or delete from your "extensions" directory.
Alters only the shield strength and shield recharge values (only two lines changed per file) in the following files:
No conflicts with any mods that I know of.
Does not alter saved games.
This mod is current as of X:R 4.00
Compatible with X:R 3.61
Compatible with Windows, Linux, and Mac versions of X Rebirth.
Available for download here:
Check out my other mods for X Rebirth:
Engineer Drone Fix,
Slightly More Useful Plot Station,
Miscellaneous OOZ Combat Tweaks,
Miscellaneous IZ Combat Tweaks,