[XRM plugin] NO MORE ENGINE CARROTS! mod (NMEC v1 - Immersive Engine Effects)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Familiar
x3tc

[XRM plugin] NO MORE ENGINE CARROTS! mod (NMEC v1 - Immersive Engine Effects)

Post by Familiar » Mon, 19. Aug 13, 12:36

NO MORE ENGINE CARROTS!

What it is:

I don't like in game engine textured effects because they look like hello from '90 in term of computer graphics. And what I hate most - lets say you make turn in your blastclaw and particles trail make some curve, but this huge "carrot" from your engine does not. For me, this stuff look like immersion breaker.
So I re textured fx_engine* dds to make it invisible.
And modifiyng effects.txt to compesate lose of textures by adding and adjusting flares.

More screens for those who interested.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qruofg4xd6j94f3/Tyk97uRR8t

No more core files modified except :
effects
fx_engine* dds
some lensflare.dds (aqua lens flare)

This mode is fully savegame compatible with XRM 1.29d
And it will be compatible as long as paulwheeller will not change effects.txt file in future versions.

Download link https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/182 ... C%20v1.zip

Unpack and install as fake patch to addon directory (patch number higher than XRM, of cause)

However, for best result I would recommend to change Yaki capital ships engine effect (color) to 11 in thips.txt using X3 editor 2 - because I don't like Yaki have the same engine effects as Split on their capital ships.

Here's example of modified Tships (XRM 1.29 High Hulls) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/182 ... TShips.txt
(Put it in addon/types folder) - but I recommend to change your Tships by yourself for higher compatibility. For those who don't care Yaki capitals, you don't need that.

dazedy
x3ap

Post by dazedy » Mon, 19. Aug 13, 16:23

Sweet! I'll try it out.

anachron13
x3tc

Post by anachron13 » Mon, 19. Aug 13, 16:56

I like the idea to remove the "carrots" so i have tried it. I find that there is a bit too much "glow" (not sure if correct english) for my taste in your new effect, but nice work anyway.

See this Tempest from behind is just a giant glow :)
[ external image ]

Familiar
x3tc

Post by Familiar » Mon, 19. Aug 13, 18:50

anachron13 wrote:I like the idea to remove the "carrots" so i have tried it. I find that there is a bit too much "glow" (not sure if correct english) for my taste in your new effect, but nice work anyway.

See this Tempest from behind is just a giant glow :)
Yep, it's because tempest has non-typical exhaust design with 11 (!) engine emitters. Argon flares optimized for mamoth, titan and so on.

However for me it's ok to be blinded a bit by engine exhaust of giant (1-2 km length !) starship.

Sorkvild
x3tc

Post by Sorkvild » Mon, 26. Aug 13, 10:42

looking really goood, thanks!
Elite Dangerous| I survived the Dragon Incident ... then I took an arrow to the knee
We want the Boron back!

TrixX
x3tc

Post by TrixX » Mon, 26. Aug 13, 17:43

Very interesting idea Familiar, looks pretty good on the sub-capitals :)
"If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original."
Sir Ken Robinson

dwb1
x3tc

Post by dwb1 » Mon, 26. Aug 13, 18:32

There is an engine effect in front when I use SETA, Is there a way to remove that?

Jarex

Post by Jarex » Sun, 24. Nov 13, 12:53

Pretty good it looks. There is a chance to give effect to vanilla X3 TC?

snarfies
x3

Post by snarfies » Sun, 24. Nov 13, 16:52

dwb1 wrote:There is an engine effect in front when I use SETA, Is there a way to remove that?
XRM says that its a vanilla bug that just isn't noticeable in a vanilla game, and can be alleviated by keeping SETA at 6x or lower.

Hah, as if. If anything I'd like to increase SETA beyond 10x.

I'm ambivalent to the "carrots." They don't bother me, but they don't particularly turn me on either. If this patch fixes the SETA bug though as a side effect, that's be super-awesome.

Does it?

snarfies
x3

Post by snarfies » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 21:29

I will interpret the lack of response as a "no."

Oh well.

Deleted User

Vanilla

Post by Deleted User » Wed, 24. Dec 14, 17:23

Any chance of this for vanilla x3tc? or can someone advise how to convert?

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”