MIS: More Immersive Skunk -- [POC] New Interiors, subsytems etc

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Litauen
xr

Post by Litauen » Thu, 13. Nov 14, 10:44

Ok, I see what you mean. This is because of Init action, which inits hud in the cockpit and then nowhere else.

I created separate cue (disabled yours):

Code: Select all

<cue name="MIS_HUD_test" instantiate="true" checkinterval="5s" >
			<actions>		
				<remove_effect object="player.room" effect="'mic_hud_elem1'" />
				<add_effect object="player.room" effect="'mic_hud_elem1'" />
			</actions>
		</cue>
Also changed coordinates in the mis_hud_generic.xml:

<connection name="Connection01" tags="part  ">
				<offset>
					<position x="0" y="10.5" z="0/>
				</offset>
Also tried <position x="0" y="1" z="0/> and many other combinations. Based on the bridge element coordinates.

But I can't make your hud appear on the bridge. Hud shows ok in the cockpit, so I guess there is a problem with a coordinates. Debug log is empty. I am stuck.

Maybe add_effect does not work at all on landing platforms, only in the cockpit? Maybe you can give some advices?

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Thu, 13. Nov 14, 11:49

@Litauen -- mmm ... I just tried removing the checks from my current code, and I can't get it to appear elsewhere either ... have you tried outputing the player x,y,z co-ordinates onscreen so you can be certain you're at the same position the hud should be?

Add_effect should work elsewhere ... there's smoke described for the architects room for instance.

Litauen
xr

Post by Litauen » Thu, 13. Nov 14, 12:01

Just solved it changing object="player.room" to object="player.platform".

Thank you again! Now I will be able to create dynamic monitors and other stuff!

[ external image ]

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Thu, 13. Nov 14, 19:34

Great job Litauen!

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Thu, 13. Nov 14, 20:25

Nice work! (to both of you!)

That's really slick.

NZ-Wanderer
x4

Post by NZ-Wanderer » Sat, 15. Nov 14, 00:15

gonna have to give this a go :)
Link to the list of Mods working in X4-Foundations and also Link to the list of Mods working in X-Rebirth

NOTE: I play with a modded game, so any reports I make outlining suggestions/problems/bugs/annoyances, are made with mods installed and running.

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Sun, 23. Nov 14, 18:30

So ... here's the new hud design ...

And here's your new Skunk schematics ;)

And for the masochists, another super-early-alpha-version version. There's still a lot to impliment so be kind, but this should give a taste of what's to come...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/541 ... Rebirth.7z

Also, do you guys like super-early-alpha-version versions or is it confusing when things are only partially implimented? In otherwords, do ya all wanna wait another year until I get a full on RC made or do you like the previews? Or do ya not care?

Enjoy :)

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Sun, 23. Nov 14, 18:32

oh ... and this is what it does so far, more or less, d'oh

------------
Hot engines:
------------
Ships will leave a wake that'll super-heat the skunk, reducing it's shields then destroying its hull until it blows up. Don't park in engines.

+ Larger ships have longer wakes
+ The faster the ship, the hotter its trail
+ Distance from ship and distance from ship affect temperatures
+ Warmup and cooldown calculated
+ Accurate temperature calculations
+ Doesn't effect NPCs!

---------
Airframe:
---------
Incorporates inertial dampers (Podkletnov Generators) onboard the Skunk. If these go wrong, the Skunk's airframe will break ;)

- High G manouvers drain shield
- If Dampers aren't fully working, there's a chance of damage to the ship's airframe/pressure hull
- Nifty sound effects
- Accurate calculations for G-force with particular care given to spinal forces (redout/blackout)

+ Todo: G effects on crew if the dampers break (redout/blackout)

----------------
Oxygen Scrubber:
----------------
The Skunk has an atmosphere! If your airframe ruptures you'll lose oxygen. If the scrubbers break you'll suffer co2 buildup.

- Affected by number of crew and their stress/workload levels
- Crew effected by simulated 'excitement/workload' (eg nearby enemies, ship damage and other mods in this suite)
- Accurately modelled 02 usage and C02 buildup amounts
- Scrubber scrubs CO2 converting it into 02: no magic oxygen supply
- When landed the skunk's internal atmosphere will be replenished by the dock, but the scrubber will not be repaired
- Damage to the ship's hull can lead to atmospheric venting!

+ Todo: Currently, no side effects from this -- you can't suffocate at this point
+ Todo: Repair mechanism

-----------------------------
Generator/Hydraulics/Coolant:
-----------------------------
The three main systems that make EVERYTHING else work.

+ Modelled pump, seals and pipes for coolant and hydraulics
+ Power based off of shield generator so more power is available with better shields
+ Introduction of new ware: RAID Capacitor (not implimented as ware yet) which upgrades the amount of power available
+ Modelled power phasing simulating the irregularities of power generation

+ Todo: Partially implimented - needs connected to other subsystems to regulate their usage
+ Todo: Power management system

----------
Meteroids:
----------
Localised meteroid and ion storms giving a reason to manage the skunk's shield

- Ion storms and micrometeorite storms can occur in any sector.
- Ion storms reduce ship shields
- Micrometeorite storms damage a ship's hull, ignoring the shield
- Storms last for various durations and have various strengths
- Great for scavengers!
- Player ship and npc effected!
- Free windscreen valet service when docked!

+ Todo: Shield management not yet implimented

--------------------
Skunk Engine Sounds:
--------------------
Better noises for the booster and main engines :D

+ Deeper, richer sound for main engine - think Nostromo
+ No more odd starting sound on the booster (y'know that sound that sounds like a voice)
+ Better booster spooling sound

---------
Headsway:
---------
Slightly larger head movements in flight - gives a better impression of movement

+ Umm ... what it says above

----------------------
Flight_vector_engines:
----------------------
Reduces strafe and yaw and introduces semi-newtonian flight. Makes flight more like a conventional aircraft -- but with far less air resistance ;)

+ Strafe is only good for leveling out flight dynamics and not as part of combat manouvering
+ Slowing down takes time
+ You can move in a direction you're not pointing
+ Roll is much more important as the Skunk now flys more like an aircraft -- makes for a better combat experience (but watch out for High Gs!)
+ Makes crashing into things much easier!
+ Effects Skunk Only -- see flight manual for details :)

-----------------
Cockpit_graphics:
-----------------
Night-vision adapted graphics and lighting for the original skunk cockpit -- this is a military vehicle after all

+ Red night-lighting
+ Darker consoles
+ More glowy buttons!
+ Monitor in back room displays power schematic
+ Cockpit glass treated with gold to help protect from radiation
+ The Skunk's old -- the glass is scratched ... don't like it, buy a new cockpit ;)
+ Reduced 'mode' border

----
HUD:
----
An onscreen graphical display of all things :)

- Displays info from these extensions
- Includes realtime stats reporting: new menu item in the main menu
- Looks purdy!

+ Todo: Partially implimented ... many systems still need hooked in

---------
Sweetfx
---------
Still needs a bit of tweaking, but makes space a bit more gritty PLUS the whole 'Bandits in the sun' thing is more interesting ;)

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Sun, 23. Nov 14, 18:53

Oh my, that is beautiful :o

You know, you and Litauen could probably make really cute capital ship bridge-shaped babies :)

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Sun, 23. Nov 14, 19:14

@Sparky Sparkycorp: Not the first response I was expecting :D

Looks like Litauen has caps well and truly covered ... but I must look at how he's done the bridges and see if I can get the other rooms in the skunk available -- what could possibly be more immersive than space toilets?

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sun, 23. Nov 14, 19:51

Ginger470 wrote:@Sparky Sparkycorp: Not the first response I was expecting :D

Looks like Litauen has caps well and truly covered ... but I must look at how he's done the bridges and see if I can get the other rooms in the skunk available -- what could possibly be more immersive than space toilets?
A working coffee machine would be a great start. With some shields, a cup-repeater-cannon oh and of couzrse a human scanner together with some thrusters paired with Xenon AGI, it kills your crew with amazing coffee.

No seriously that looks really great. Maybe you should fokus more on code-logic then on look, coding 101. :P

However, it looks fantastic!!!!

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Sun, 23. Nov 14, 19:58

TY Tamina,

And I agree, coding should come first (form follows function and all that) ... but I do that as a day job so I need a break from time to time.

I promise I'll be concentrating on the coding for the forseeable future ;)

Sao t'Lp
x4

Post by Sao t'Lp » Mon, 24. Nov 14, 18:37

Hey Ginger,

So i was feeling extra adventures today and updated to 3.0 B4 and downloaded your mod. (This time I checked if everything was turned on...)
That's some nice progress you made there the HUD looks absolutely amazing and the sounds are good too. Feels like they have been always part of the game.

Sadly I had only little time to test today, but here is my feedback:

Flight Mechanics:
I was struggeling with the new flight mechanics at first, but I like them. I had to think of the flight mechanics in X3R where I had problems too, are they somehow similar?
A rather serious problem I had was that I couldn't "break" out of a local highway. I was constantly sucked back in, because I couldn't accelarate in another direction fast enough.
Any idea how to resolve this, did you experience the same or am I doing it wrong?

Power Usage
Much more balanced, during fights my shields stayed up despite the G-Forces. In highways the G-Force bar goes up but the shields aren't depleted, awesome!

Graphics:
Cockpit_graphics -> Like :D especially the scratches on the glass. All the additions are really subtile (somehow) and feel very well placed. (Talking about reduced borders and stuff)
HUD-> At first I was like "Woah so much information" but during the one fight I had, the HUD didn't bother me. Nicely done! :)
Sweetfx -> Okay this is higly personal but in some cases the SweetFX settings were a bit too dark for me.

No Time to test the Hot Engines (:() and the oxygen Scrubber. And I completly ignored the right side for now :oops:

On a side note: You should definitly add your flight manual and the picture to the ingame encyclopedia!

Sooo thats it for now, I like what you are doing and I don't mind MegaMachoAlphaBuilds at all :D
You want Split? :split:

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Mon, 24. Nov 14, 19:21

TY Sao t'Lp! That's all useful ;)

I'll check out the highways and see what's going on.

Sweet fx -- this needs some tweaking ... while it's intended to be dark it may be too much in places, but as you say it's all so personal with things like that, plus it depends on monitor calibration etc.

Flight mechanics have changed in my working version ... even more newtonian ... This will be an in-game option (another sub-component - Flight Assist) that can be turned on or off. Turned on, you get vanilla flight, turned off, the more newtonian. This should also fix the highway problem as I can 'turn on' Flight Assist whilst in transit

Same will go with the hud ... it'll be able to be turned on/off.

Again, thanks for the feedback !!! :)

Senner

Post by Senner » Mon, 24. Nov 14, 20:31

Reminds me of Evochron. Now THAT is an awesome game...

R-TEAM
x4

Post by R-TEAM » Mon, 24. Nov 14, 21:54

Hi,

would like to see the HUD infos on any of the other monitors or instruments splittet - and only if an emergency, displayed in front in the HUD .. with head movement - i can check other monitors/instruments for the values ...

All other is nice .... but need more testing :)

Regards
R-TEAM

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Mon, 24. Nov 14, 22:04

@R-TEAM,

Indeed, that'd be nice ... I've thought about it but it's a lot of work -- each cockpit type would probably need a different layout and the method this is done with is a bit of a cludge.

It's maybe something I'll consider once this version is complete, but once this one is done, there'll be an option to turn the hud on/off so maybe that's a good compromise?

R-TEAM
x4

Post by R-TEAM » Mon, 24. Nov 14, 23:14

Hi,

if the option to Turn HUD on/off as hotkey, then it is an good interim solution ... if it an config who i muss checked in an menu tree .. then this is better to leave it on ... maybe no time in critical situations to fiddle with the menu to get important informations ...

Regards
R-TEAM

NZ-Wanderer
x4

Post by NZ-Wanderer » Mon, 24. Nov 14, 23:58

Ginger470 wrote:@R-TEAM,
each cockpit type would probably need a different layout and the method this is done with is a bit of a cludge.
I can confirm it does, I use a different cockpit and the hud doesn't fit very well at all :) - I just didn't bother mentioning it cause I knew you were busy trying to make it work...
Link to the list of Mods working in X4-Foundations and also Link to the list of Mods working in X-Rebirth

NOTE: I play with a modded game, so any reports I make outlining suggestions/problems/bugs/annoyances, are made with mods installed and running.

Ginger470
x2

Post by Ginger470 » Tue, 25. Nov 14, 10:08

@NZ-Wanderer,

Are you using the 'crane' cockpit or whatever it's called? The one with the uprights? If so, I think that's about the only cockpit the hud doesn't work with -- I'll need to figure that one out

@R-TEAM

Unfortunately, hotkey support isn't possible at this point.

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”