[SCR] Ship Browser v1.2 - In Game Ship Comparison Tool [UPDATED: 11/2/2014]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

gilboa
x4

Post by gilboa » Mon, 27. Oct 14, 08:55

zanzal wrote:Thank you for letting me know about those problems BlackArchon. The issues with ATF ships and the German language file should be corrected in the 1.1 release which is available for download now.

For the 1.1 version I also changed the rules a little bit so knowing about the ship was enough to make it show in the ship browser. This brings the behavior of the mod in line with what I think most players would expect.
Thanks!
I'll test it (X3AP/XRM/Linux) when I get back home.

- Gilboa
X2 Linux (LGP).
Heavily modified X3:R Linux w/ XTM (LGP).
Heavily modified X3:TC w/ XRM (under wine).
Heavily modified X3:AP Linux w/ XRM.
Modified X4 Linux w/ VRO.
Machine: 2 x E5-2658V2, 32G, 8TB RAID10, 1080GTX, Dell UP3216Q 4K LCD.

BlackArchon
xr

Post by BlackArchon » Mon, 27. Oct 14, 17:52

I just tested your version 1.1 and I can see ATF ships now. Thanks! :)

Is there a way to directly open the corresponding encyclopedia entry of the selected ship? I would find this very useful.

gilboa
x4

Post by gilboa » Tue, 28. Oct 14, 11:33

BlackArchon wrote:I just tested your version 1.1 and I can see ATF ships now. Thanks! :)

Is there a way to directly open the corresponding encyclopedia entry of the selected ship? I would find this very useful.
I second that.

- Gilboa
X2 Linux (LGP).

zanzal
x3tc

Post by zanzal » Tue, 28. Oct 14, 20:02

Yes, I third it.. now we just have to convince Egosoft to make it possible. :D AFAIK there isn't currently a way for scripts to open encyclopedia entries.

The next version should have an alternative custom ship details screen that works rather nice.

gilboa
x4

Post by gilboa » Thu, 30. Oct 14, 21:51

zanzal wrote:Yes, I third it.. now we just have to convince Egosoft to make it possible. :D AFAIK there isn't currently a way for scripts to open encyclopedia entries.

The next version should have an alternative custom ship details screen that works rather nice.
Current version works like a champ.
Will be happy to test the next one :)

- Gilboa
X2 Linux (LGP).

zanzal
x3tc

Post by zanzal » Sun, 2. Nov 14, 23:07

The new version is out! It fixes a bug with Transport Classes in Vanilla showing XRM values. Also, it also adds marine count and hull hp values to the comparision screen. But the best part is the new ship information screen. It will make you want to ditch that old encyclopedia screen.

gilboa
x4

Post by gilboa » Mon, 3. Nov 14, 14:29

zanzal wrote:The new version is out! It fixes a bug with Transport Classes in Vanilla showing XRM values. Also, it also adds marine count and hull hp values to the comparision screen. But the best part is the new ship information screen. It will make you want to ditch that old encyclopedia screen.
Thanks.
I'll do my best to test it tonight. (If I finish work before 23:00 :()

- Gilboa
X2 Linux (LGP).

Viliae
x3tc

Post by Viliae » Mon, 3. Nov 14, 14:57

Welcome

I'm using this script from the beginning (Litcube show something similar for his LU at the same time) and it was very useful tool for my little empire 8).
But now this is something what everybody should have, especially if he/she play modified game with many many ships.
Information screen - this is M A S T E R P I E C E, it's working like charm especially when you find\board ship and start planning his armament.

gilboa
x4

Post by gilboa » Mon, 3. Nov 14, 22:15

Idiotic question: How do I access the information page?
I get the main page al-right, I can sort and navigate, but I cannot "select" the ship in-order to get the additional information.
I tried Enter, space, double-click, nada.

X3AP/Linux w/ XRM.

Thanks,
- Gilboa
X2 Linux (LGP).

Viliae
x3tc

Post by Viliae » Mon, 3. Nov 14, 22:46

Welcome

Stupid question: Have upgrade script and t-file :?:

I've just press enter on ship of my choice.

zanzal
x3tc

Post by zanzal » Mon, 3. Nov 14, 22:52

gilboa wrote:How do I access the information page?
Hello Gilboa,

In the screenshots on the intro post you should actually see 'Ship Browser v1.2' as the title for the window if you are running the latest version. If you are running v1.2 then you can select a ship shown in your Ship Browser results by clicking/pressing enter on that ship and it will bring up a Ship Details sub menu.

gilboa
x4

Post by gilboa » Mon, 3. Nov 14, 23:06

Viliae wrote:Welcome

Stupid question: Have upgrade script and t-file :?:

I've just press enter on ship of my choice.
No go.
Using 1.2 :(

- Gilboa
X2 Linux (LGP).

zanzal
x3tc

Post by zanzal » Mon, 3. Nov 14, 23:07

Viliae wrote:But now this is something what everybody should have, especially if he/she play modified game with many many ships.
Information screen - this is M A S T E R P I E C E, it's working like charm especially when you find\board ship and start planning his armament.
Yeah I'm pretty psyched up about it too. The next revision which I'll start working on in next week should improve the concept further.

zanzal
x3tc

Post by zanzal » Mon, 3. Nov 14, 23:15

gilboa wrote:No go.
Using 1.2 :(
I notice you are running Linux in your sig, is it possible you are not using AP v3.0? If your running an older AP that could be an issue.

gilboa
x4

Post by gilboa » Tue, 4. Nov 14, 07:39

Hi,

Linux has the latest X3AP version: 3.1.2013.
I'll double check if the title of the ship browser has 1.2 in it...

Thanks again for the help.
X2 Linux (LGP).

zanzal
x3tc

Post by zanzal » Wed, 5. Nov 14, 04:09

Gilboa,

I would like you to test something for me:

Start a new game and open up the ship browser and see if the ship details screen works as expected. If it does work in a new game but doesn't work in an existing save then please let me know.

A few weeks ago, I noticed a potential for a small glitch. I fixed it in 1.2, but the type of glitch is very strange and maybe it is related to the issue you have. If you have the glitch then it would only manifest in existing games but work fine in new games.

Let me know.
Last edited by zanzal on Wed, 5. Nov 14, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.

gilboa
x4

Post by gilboa » Wed, 5. Nov 14, 07:23

Please ignore, what remained of my brain after 14 hours of work seems to be incapable of installing v1.2 correctly.
Once I fixed the installation, script works just fine.

Thanks again and sorry (again) for the noise.

BTW, the information screen is indeed a masterpiece!
X2 Linux (LGP).

dizzy
x4

Post by dizzy » Thu, 6. Nov 14, 01:30

This looks like exactly what I was looking for, I'm playing Xtended 2.2b on X3TC and it's so hard to compare ships (go back and forth between their entries in the Encyclopedia, then try to remember the values, then quickly go to the other one and try to replay them, then go back, wtf). And there's no online resource like with the vanilla ships.

However, from the screenshots (I haven't yet tried your script), it looks like it's showing a bunch of stuff I don't care of (like cargo class and cargo size, the latter takes 2 columns for the min/max which btw, you could use a single column and show a range like 11000-15000) while it's missing the actual stuff I do care of (number of shields, shield recharge rate, weapon energy capacity, weapon recharge rate). Note that in xtended, there are about 6 different types for each shield size (so an M7 with Huge shields can have all sorts of combinations of different types of Huge shields). This is why it's important to be able to compare that this M7 takes 11 shields vs this other M7 which takes 7 instead of looking at the shield energy that your script is displaying in the screenshots (the shield energy depends on the actual shield bought/installed on the ship, in xtended some shield types trade more capacity for slower recharge rate and viceversa).

Could you make it possible so that the columns displayed on the first screen (which are the most important to be able to compare ships quickly) are configurable? So that we can remove what we don't care about and add what we want?

Or any other way that would allow me to see in the first screen the following:
- weapon energy capacity
- weapon recharge rate
- number of shields
- shield recharge rate

Thanks!

zanzal
x3tc

Post by zanzal » Thu, 6. Nov 14, 06:05

Greetings memeics, regarding making the first page configurable, I am going to have to decline at this time. I'll think about it, but its not likely to ever be a feature. I will be rethinking my page layout in the future a little bit, but I don't really think my improvements would be what you are looking for. Most of the improvements I'll be making will be to the Ship Details screen and that won't be available in the TC edition.

My recommendation would be to modify the script to suit your preferences. If you were up for it, you can even use the Ship Browser as a starting point for your very own "X-Tended Ship Browser." I did release a version for TC that should work as a good starting point. You may also be able to backport the AP version.

Regarding shield and laser recharge rates, I haven't had any success getting either values using MCSI. I am pretty sure the only way to get the information at this point would be to use a python/some other language script to convert the data in TShips.txt to a custom t file. I may do myself this in the future, but it would be an optional thing for advanced users and not part of the core mod.

dizzy
x4

Post by dizzy » Thu, 6. Nov 14, 22:05

Thanks for your answer, I'm delaying having to buy AP because it's Steam only and I abhor Steam and DRM in general (one of the main reasons I play the X3 games is because of their DRM-free releases for everything up to and including X3:TC).

About the shield/laser recharge rates, what does "power generator" stand for in this command:
x <RetVar> = <RefObj> get power generator

Is there an official way to get a list of all scripting commands or does Egosoft expect people to just guess them or take them by reading the official script sources?

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”