Holding Gemstone Manufacture

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

GreasyBaz
x3tc

Holding Gemstone Manufacture

Post by GreasyBaz » Wed, 1. Oct 14, 00:13

I'd like to be able to gain access to the ship yard in Gemstone Manufacture, but the place is currently swarming with Plutarch ships. I'm thinking of setting up a small fleet to patrol the zone. Has anyone tried this and does anyone know what would be required to keep the zone safe?

I'm part way through the plot (that URV forge sure is taking a long time to build) and I've started to build up a small pot of cash and fleet to go with in (a Tyranis, three Balors and a bunch of trade ships). I'm hoping to leave the fleet to defend my station in Devries and start from scratch building a fleet in Albion. Step one of the plan will be to buy a new Tyranis in Gemstone Manufacture to start to clear out the zone.

There's also the question of the new PMC/Heart of Albion war AI in the upcoming patch. Once this is out will Gemstone Manufacture be essentially PMC free? I'm hoping that the addition of shields to trade ships in the new patch will at least protect my freighters from being beaten up by fighters/drones/rahanas while they're leaving the shipyard.

Has anyone tried the above? Does it sound like a terrible idea?

Thufar
x4

Post by Thufar » Wed, 1. Oct 14, 15:11

GreasyBaz,

First let me say, this is your game - play it like you want to. Save, do what you want, if it doesn't work you can always reload if you choose.

From my observations in my pre 2.5 game, which may be different than what you experience in your game, a Taranis, 3 Balors and trade ships is not enough firepower to maintain control of Gemstone. You would risk much damage and l would be very surprised if you do not experience much loss.

Regarding Post 2.5, I'm not much for spoiling stuff, even though this is the spoilers forum. Egosoft has posted RC5, and I can't imagine it being all that much longer before they release Version 2.5. I'd just be patient until release, and have a look at Gemstone then.

My advice is to work on your URV forge for now.

Regards,
Thu

GreasyBaz
x3tc

Post by GreasyBaz » Wed, 1. Oct 14, 22:31

So I gave it a go last night, starting by buying a Tyranis in Gemstone Manufacture (why bring in a fleet when you can build one right there?). Even with my support with a cargo bay full of nova drones one Tyranis ran into trouble when a PMC Tyranis arrived. So I've bought a second one and captured the previously mentioned PMC Tyranis to get a third.

The three of them seem to be doing OK so far. I wonder what will happen to the economy with me blowing up all the PMC trade ships that keep on arriving. It looks like it could turn out to be quite profitable though as they're dropping quite a bit of cargo.

I went back to check out the URV forge... it's finally built. I think that must have taken an entire game day including hacking and piracy to get the needed materials. It's definitely taken far longer than the entire rest of the plot so far. Perhaps the game should be called "X: Find ways to entertain yourself while building a URV forge".

I don't think I'll build any more stations. Time to get back to taking the war to PMC :)

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”